AQA A English Literature AS exam - Friday 17th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dan Bullock
Are Dates important in this, and is anyone else doing Alfred Lord Tennyson

I'm doing Tennyson
Reply 21
Original post by Hussain1995
is any one doing the rime of the ancient mariner or the kite runner or christina rossetti's poetry

I'm doing The Kite Runner
Original post by dooobie_
I'm doing The Kite Runner

Are u going to do the kite runner for section A or section B and also are u doing the Great Gatsby
Original post by CallMeBatwoman
I'm also doing the exam tomorrow, I'm looking at the Struggle for Identity in Modern Literature and the poetry collection Feminine Gospels by Carol Ann Duffy,

In the contextual linking section basically what we have been told to do is make sure we have quotes from our wider reading from all 3 genres (prose, drama and poetry) with at least one quote for every form of identity (personal, social, racial, sexuality, religious, political etc) as well as knowing the context of the texts well in terms of linking wider reading, apparently we should only use tenuous links if we are really stuck . Also, we have been told to take care to pay attention to context in the extract as the mark scheme shows 23 marks go to social and historical context. :eek: and make strong comparisons in form, structure and language.

In terms of poetry we have been told to not worry too much as we are allowed to take the text in, we just need to be able to understand and interpret the poems at least basically, and apparently we need to structure our answer like an argument, also, no social and historical context in this one, no marks are awarded for AO4 :s-smilie: which shouldn't be too hard.

I'm also aiming for an A 53/60 overall on coursework! Good luck everybody! :biggrin:

I'm doing the exact same exam tomorrow. I'm alright with the CAD FG question but I'm not as prepared for Section 1. How are you going to plan your essay?
Reply 24
does anyone have any advice for the poetry question and structuring? (UTLTD)
Reply 25
Original post by Dan Bullock
Are Dates important in this, and is anyone else doing Alfred Lord Tennyson

Doing Tennyson too! I don't think dates're that important, although in some questions it'd be good to know whether it was an early or late work of his. Like if you were comparing to Crossing the Bar to In Memoriam, it'd be a nice little comment to say Crossing the Bar is a more calm approach to death which may be because it's one of his last works - he'd be older and more ready to accept death.
Reply 26
With the section a bit im pretty sure dates arent crucial but if you happen to remember any by chance they help show you really know what youre on about...
Reply 27
also does anyone know if we get penalised for using a wider reading text we also looked at at gcse?
Reply 28
Original post by louise63
also does anyone know if we get penalised for using a wider reading text we also looked at at gcse?

I know it's a bit late now, but nah it should be fine!
Original post by lilacwanda28
I'm doing the exact same exam tomorrow. I'm alright with the CAD FG question but I'm not as prepared for Section 1. How are you going to plan your essay?

Sorry its a bit late :colondollar: how did yours go? The contextual linking question was HORRIBLE for us :eek: I honestly don't know how I did, oh well, I don't really plan essays, just start by deciding which quotes I'm using and why then just babble on for an hour. The poetry was a bit nicer for us, but I didn't have am much time as I would have wanted :s-smilie:
Sorry its a bit late :colondollar: how did yours go? The contextual linking question was HORRIBLE for us :eek: I honestly don't know how I did, oh well, I don't really plan essays, just start by deciding which quotes I'm using and why then just babble on for an hour. The poetry was a bit nicer for us, but I didn't have am much time as I would have wanted :s-smilie:

I know I hated that extract - I wasn't prepped for newspaper article or IRA!!! (I think it was the IRA.....:frown:) uuugggh and then all my quotes I wanted to use I couldn't bc of the the struggle......urgh and then because I was so stressed about that first question I was stressed by the time I got to CAD in Q2..... so sad.....I really wanna do Lit at Uni as well so I really need a good grade in this for when we apply in october - plus I really don't want to have to resit this whilst we're doing A2 - it'll just be soo much work :s-smilie: what question did you do for section B?
Original post by louise63

I know it's a bit late for this reply but you don't get 'penalised' as such but any marks you get for wider reading... don't go up in a sense because it looks to the examiner that you haven't done any wider reading and just stuck to texts you did last year....
I know I hated that extract - I wasn't prepped for newspaper article or IRA!!! (I think it was the IRA.....:frown:) uuugggh and then all my quotes I wanted to use I couldn't bc of the the struggle......urgh and then because I was so stressed about that first question I was stressed by the time I got to CAD in Q2..... so sad.....I really wanna do Lit at Uni as well so I really need a good grade in this for when we apply in october - plus I really don't want to have to resit this whilst we're doing A2 - it'll just be soo much work :s-smilie: what question did you do for section B?

I know, I did the question on whether or not Love was a key theme in the collection (clearly not) and good degree choice by the way :smile: I also fear a re-sit next year, really, REALLY not a good idea, but I'm worried that might be the case :frown:.
I know, I did the question on whether or not Love was a key theme in the collection (clearly not) and good degree choice by the way :smile: I also fear a re-sit next year, really, REALLY not a good idea, but I'm worried that might be the case :frown:.

the only reason why I did the Long Queen structural one is because I thought everyone was going to do the Love question - but now I'm not sure if I did well in it because I don't think I compared my poems enough....I will actually cry if I have to resit...:cry:fingers crossed that somehow I manage to get a good grade and I don't have to resit :crossedf:
the only reason why I did the Long Queen structural one is because I thought everyone was going to do the Love question - but now I'm not sure if I did well in it because I don't think I compared my poems enough....I will actually cry if I have to resit...:cry:fingers crossed that somehow I manage to get a good grade and I don't have to resit :crossedf:

Same here :frown: I did the Love one because I couldn't think of enough to write about with the Long Queen, but don't worry too much, no point now I guess, let me know how you do? :smile:
Did anyone else totally hate the contextual linking question. God I am seriously dreading my score on that question I linked it with Langston Hughes- I,too,sing,America, Trainspotting and Making History somehow. I did the Long Queen question first though I really enjoyed that one haha hopefully I get a good grade I came out of my GCSE thinking I'd flopped and I got an A* overall but I am not feeling so lucky this time
Same here :frown: I did the Love one because I couldn't think of enough to write about with the Long Queen, but don't worry too much, no point now I guess, let me know how you do? :smile:

yeah will do. Let me know how you got on as well! :biggrin:
Original post by ifancythedoctor
Did anyone else totally hate the contextual linking question. God I am seriously dreading my score on that question I linked it with Langston Hughes- I,too,sing,America, Trainspotting and Making History somehow. I did the Long Queen question first though I really enjoyed that one haha hopefully I get a good grade I came out of my GCSE thinking I'd flopped and I got an A* overall but I am not feeling so lucky this time

I hated that context question too - I had nothing prepared for the IRA! All my points were prepared for a speech or autobiography and we get an article....so stupid! I hated it....
I hated that context question too - I had nothing prepared for the IRA! All my points were prepared for a speech or autobiography and we get an article....so stupid! I hated it....
god it was so so awful I had so many quotes for the generic struggles I just hope I did well it was the only exam I wasn't worried about now I am really worried about the result
Original post by ifancythedoctor
god it was so so awful I had so many quotes for the generic struggles I just hope I did well it was the only exam I wasn't worried about now I am really worried about the result

I know how you feel - I thought I knew what was going to come up and so structured my revision appropriately and I felt secretly ok about the exam before going in - I just didn't want to jinx anything! And then I come out :cry2::cry::sad::s::sadpanda::rip: so annoying and upsetting bc I know I could have done better which makes me even more upset!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending