The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St. Andrews Postgraduate Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kenpachi_89
Hi Natasha,

Congrats on the offer in any case. I'm not sure what to expect of our class but it already sounds like it might be a fairly eclectic mix (I studied Economics and Finance)

Looking forward to getting started but I'm definitely in need of a stats refresher course!

Thank you! Congratulations to you too! From what I gather most people come from a mathematics/finance/economics background - only one other person has taken the course after a psychology degree as far as I know, although I think the introductory classes make it quite accessible to those without a heavy maths background. I've dabbled in some physics and finance in my first two years at uni though so i'm hoping I can keep up haha! Will definitely be browsing my stats notes over summer ... :P
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
Original post by Kate_scarth
Hi,
I've just found this forum and thought id join in!
I am about to start a PhD starting september in chemistry. I am just starting to look at places to live... anyone got any advice / also needs somewhere to live!!
I'd love to hear from anyone also in the same boat :biggrin:

Katie

Son does but not sure he has started looking yet. Too busy with Masters.
Reply 22
Original post by tasha916
Thank you! Congratulations to you too! From what I gather most people come from a mathematics/finance/economics background - only one other person has taken the course after a psychology degree as far as I know, although I think the introductory classes make it quite accessible to those without a heavy maths background. I've dabbled in some physics and finance in my first two years at uni though so i'm hoping I can keep up haha! Will definitely be browsing my stats notes over summer ... :P

Hi Jon and Natasha!

Congratulations to both of you.

Just to add some more variety, my background is computer science/music/psycholinguistics.

Name: Jamie
Course: MSc Applied Statistics and Datamining
Currently studying: N/A working in H.E
Reply 23
Original post by mR.iX
Hi Jon and Natasha!

Congratulations to both of you.

Just to add some more variety, my background is computer science/music/psycholinguistics.

Name: Jamie
Course: MSc Applied Statistics and Datamining
Currently studying: N/A working in H.E

Hi Jamie, congratulations on your offer :smile:
Wow that will definitely add some variety, should be an interesting group of people for this course haha! I look forward to meeting you all.
Hi,
I've just found this forum and thought id join in!
I am about to start a PhD starting september in chemistry. I am just starting to look at places to live... anyone got any advice / also needs somewhere to live!!
I'd love to hear from anyone also in the same boat :biggrin:

Katie

Currently finishing my MChem here and have been offered a PhD out of the blue by one of the professors which I'm likely to accept. Fellow chemist :cool:

Don't know why I bother...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
[QUOTE="Midlander;42713474"]Currently finishing my MChem here and have been offered a PhD out of the blue
by one of the professors which I'm likely to accept. Fellow chemist :cool:[/QUOTESo where do you intend to live as a PhD student. Son is currently looking for somewhere but it is not an easy time of year.He will also be PhD - Physics.
[QUOTE="olddad;42714145"]
Original post by Midlander
Currently finishing my MChem here and have been offered a PhD out of the blue
by one of the professors which I'm likely to accept. Fellow chemist :cool:[/QUOTESo where do you intend to live as a PhD student. Son is currently looking for somewhere but it is not an easy time of year.He will also be PhD - Physics.

The offer was made just a week ago and I'm still in the middle of exams. My intention will be to apply to self catered accommodation purely on the grounds of cost-Fife Park is £70/w all in for the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
[QUOTE="Midlander;42714418"]
Original post by olddad

The offer was made just a week ago and I'm still in the middle of exams. My intention will be to apply to self catered accommodation purely on the grounds of cost-Fife Park is £70/w all in for the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think he has applied for halls but is hoping to find something else before he commits.he is a shared house at the moment In Nottingham and would prefer that if possible.
[QUOTE="olddad;42714622"]

Think he has applied for halls but is hoping to find something else before he commits.he is a shared house at the moment In Nottingham and would prefer that if possible.

Suggest he looks on spareroom.co.uk and search in the Dundee area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also thinking of house sharing if its something both or one of you would be interested in, I think between people we could get some cheaper plaqces to live from what i've seen from briefly looking!!
I'd love to hear ytour thoughts

[QUOTE="olddad;42714622"]

[QUOTE="Kate_scarth;42742674"]I am also thinking of house sharing if its something both or one of you would be interested in, I think between people we could get some cheaper plaqces to live from what i've seen from briefly looking!!

Original post by olddad

More than happy to do so but it definitely isn't a cheap market here! The neighbouring places (Guardbridge, Leuchars, Kingsbarns, Crail), are also worth looking in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
[QUOTE="Midlander;42742901"]
I am also thinking of house sharing if its something both or one of you would be interested in, I think between people we could get some cheaper plaqces to live from what i've seen from briefly looking!!

More than happy to do so but it definitely isn't a cheap market here! The neighbouring places (Guardbridge, Leuchars, Kingsbarns, Crail), are also worth looking in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think he has now found somehting in St Andrews. £460 a month. But owner is asking for 3 refs, academic, bank and personal. Is that normal. I have never rented, at leats not in recent years
[QUOTE="olddad;42748273"]

Think he has now found somehting in St Andrews. £460 a month. But owner is asking for 3 refs, academic, bank and personal. Is that normal. I have never rented, at leats not in recent years

Normally it's 2 references and a deposit, perhaps a guarantor. The price is also a bit high and out of my budget.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by x.tash.x
Hi all! :smile: I've applied for two MRes courses at St Andrews because I love them both!

Name: Natasha
Course: MRes Ecosystem-based management of marine systems/MRes Marine Mammal Science
Currently studying: BSc Marine Biology

Hi Natasha,

I am going to be studying Ecosystem-based management of marine systems next year so I might see you there!

Name: Eilidh
Course: Ecosystem-based management of marine systems
Currently studying: graduated last year in Marine and Freshwater biology from Glasgow Uni and currently taking a year out

Anyone else on this course? If so get in touch :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by EilsM
Hi Natasha,

I am going to be studying Ecosystem-based management of marine systems next year so I might see you there!

Name: Eilidh
Course: Ecosystem-based management of marine systems
Currently studying: graduated last year in Marine and Freshwater biology from Glasgow Uni and currently taking a year out

Anyone else on this course? If so get in touch :smile:

Hi Eilidh!
I got my offer for Ecosystem-based management of marine systems last week, so I'll see you there :smile:

Also there's a St Andrews postgraduate group on facebook if you haven't already joined it :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stapgrecruitment/
Reply 35
Original post by x.tash.x
Hi all! :smile: I've applied for two MRes courses at St Andrews because I love them both!

Name: Natasha
Course: MRes Ecosystem-based management of marine systems/MRes Marine Mammal Science
Currently studying: BSc Marine Biology

Natasha - I have accepted a place on the Marine Mammal Science course. Which course are you more inclined to choose do you think?
I was wondering what accommodation everybody was looking at. I was thinking about Fife Park, Albany Park, or Gannochy House. Thoughts anybody?

Name: Andrew
Course: MRes Marine Mammal Science
Currently studying: BSc Biology with Applied Environmental Science.
Original post by acooke91
Natasha - I have accepted a place on the Marine Mammal Science course. Which course are you more inclined to choose do you think?
I was wondering what accommodation everybody was looking at. I was thinking about Fife Park, Albany Park, or Gannochy House. Thoughts anybody?

Name: Andrew
Course: MRes Marine Mammal Science
Currently studying: BSc Biology with Applied Environmental Science.

I'm afraid all postgrad accommodation has been fully allocated so you will need to look in the private sector. Good places to look are 'The Sinner' forum and spareroom.co.uk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
I'm afraid all postgrad accommodation has been fully allocated so you will need to look in the private sector. Good places to look are 'The Sinner' forum and spareroom.co.uk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know son has turned down his offfer so there might still be something available.
Original post by olddad
I know son has turned down his offfer so there might still be something available.

Fully allocated halls:

Albany Park
Deans Court
Fife Park
Gannochy House
Gregory Place
173 South St
St Gregory's

Still available:

Angus and Stanley Smith Houses (38 weeks only)
DRA (expensive)
Fife Park Apartments (expensive)
Reply 39
Fully allocated halls:

Albany Park
Deans Court
Fife Park
Gannochy House
Gregory Place
173 South St
St Gregory's

Still available:

Angus and Stanley Smith Houses (38 weeks only)
DRA (expensive)
Fife Park Apartments (expensive)

Think the one he turned down was St Gregory's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending