The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sirocco11
Jim Courier summed it up perfectly - 'he's playing tennis unplugged', having become an attacking player in the last hour and a half.

Well, I really hope Federer can get through this, and if he does, he'll have passed his first major test of this tournament.

Damn - Simon is not going away!

Edit: The "Come On"s are getting louder from the 17-time champion too.

He has the break! (In the 4th set) - just hold your nerve now...
(edited 10 years ago)
Crazy that Djokovic is the second youngest player still in the draw. Says a great deal about the future of tennis.
Federer has really upped his game now.
LOLs at the French crowd - they cheer louder for him when he wins points than for Simon. In complete contrast to any other match with a French player and the opponent would could get barely a clap.
Original post by CJM13
Federer has really upped his game now.

He's found his forehand - but his backhand needs to improve more
Wow! UNBELIEVABLE forehand from Roger Rederer!

EDIT: And we're into a 5th set. Roger also has the advantage of serving first.
(edited 10 years ago)
Either this final set will be tight, or Fed steamrollers Simon.
Reply 2187
Original post by CJM13
Either this final set will be tight, or Fed steamrollers Simon.

Most likely the latter.
come on!!!
Going to be a comfortable 5th set for Federer, Simon seems to have choked.
Original post by samir12
Going to be a comfortable 5th set for Federer, Simon seems to have choked.

Most players do against the Top 4 - it's difficult to sustain a high level of play for 3 sets against one of these guys.
Reply 2191
This 5 setter is very important for Federer. It would just make him more mentally and match tougher for the subsequent rounds.

And really surprised by how quick the match has gone by. Only 2 & half hours and we are well into the 5th round. If Nadal Or Murray or even Nole were involved instead of Fed, the match would have crossed the 5 hour mark by now. :tongue:
Original post by Roger1
This 5 setter is very important for Federer. It would just make him more mentally and match tougher for the subsequent rounds.

And really surprised by how quick the match has gone by. Only 2 & half hours and we are well into the 5th round. If Nadal Or Murray or even Nole were involved instead of Fed, the match would have crossed the 5 hour mark by now. :tongue:

This is very important for the match against Tsonga and for the final if he manages to get there.
Reply 2193
Original post by Krish4791
This is very important for the match against Tsonga and for the final if he manages to get there.

Yeah, he hasn't had a lot of these matches this year, so it's very important. It's just like Benny at Wimby last year, he needed that match to build his confidence up when facing the big guns and I'm hoping the same thing happens here as well. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2194
What a match!
Reply 2195
This match had Roland Garros 09 written all over it! :tongue:
Now, I'm gonna call it: IF Roger Federer can get past Tsonga on Tuesday, then I think he'll be pretty much secure in the final. It is interesting because it requires him to beat a 3rd Frenchman in a row! With matches like these, it's possibly the worst time to be a Federer fan - one minute he's down, and the next - he's staged a comeback.
Reply 2197
Surely Tsonga starts off as favourite against Federer after today?
Original post by DH1'
Surely Tsonga starts off as favourite against Federer after today?

Yeah I'd say so. Considering Simon was able to outplay Federer at points in the match, Tsonga will be even harder if he plays anything like he did today, which was exemplary. He's got more power, much bigger serve and may have more of the crowd on his side owing to his charisma. Hard to call either way.
Reply 2199
How long was the federer match?

Latest