The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by Skyscraper15
Um they were all qualitative as far as I know...go to Holah.com it's useful :smile:

Yeah that's exactly what I thought! But holah I saying its quantatative :confused::confused: :confused: must be a mistake surely??
Original post by Dank108
Yeah that's exactly what I thought! But holah I saying its quantatative :confused::confused: :confused: must be a mistake surely??

Well all I know is that they collected video-and audio-recordings, daily psychometric testing and daily saliva swab to monitor cortisol levels I guess most is qualitative but maybe the psychometric tests may just be quantitative? Am I right in saying this?? :confused:
Reply 1102
Ahh I Need an alternative method for sperry. I Got one ...
Just thought i'd come on and say good luck guys you're all going to do fab woo x
Do the exam questions on section A mainly focus on the procedure,methods and results of the studies?! I don't what to revise for ;(
Reply 1105
Can someone please explain sperrys study ? My teacher hasn't explained anything about this psychologist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leanne1996
Just thought i'd come on and say good luck guys you're all going to do fab woo x

May God be with us all and make us believe that we could do thing! Is anyone at all worried about the timing?! :redface:
Original post by Billie Jean
May God be with us all and make us believe that we could do thing! Is anyone at all worried about the timing?! :redface:

to be honest no.. i only take about 35 mins on section A, so always have quite a while ..

althoooooough i do spend AGES on section C question D!! i wrote two full pages for it in my mock..
Original post by --K
Ahh I Need an alternative method for sperry. I Got one ...

Issue: sample. Alternative method: larger number of participants needed-both male and female. comparisons between epileptics that have the procedure and those who haven't, with a 'normal' control group. Implications: difficult sample to obtain, still lacking in standardisation as there are different degrees of epilepsy BUT this alternative method increases validity in comparing epileptic participants
Reply 1109
Can someone tell me what other studies link to the behaviourist perspective?
I've learned aggression (Bandura),
I know there's obedience (Milgram), Gambling (Griffiths), Language acquisition (Savage-Rumbaugh)
Are there any else? If so could you tell me in full what the answer would be for question (b) section C! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jodie.irwin27
to be honest no.. i only take about 35 mins on section A, so always have quite a while ..

althoooooough i do spend AGES on section C question D!! i wrote two full pages for it in my mock..

35 MINUTES ON SECTION A wooow you sound soo clever! I take exactly an hour but I really do need to practice section A questions because they drag me on and some of the questions are just worded differently when I know the answer!!! When i know it!! :frown:
I don't know how OCR expects us to know every detail of each study??!! They could ask us anything! The exam is so spontaneous... If Savage-Rumbaugh, Dement and Kleitman and Sperry come up together in Section B I'll literally cry...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1112
Original post by gabbyearl
Issue: sample. Alternative method: larger number of participants needed-both male and female. comparisons between epileptics that have the procedure and those who haven't, with a 'normal' control group. Implications: difficult sample to obtain, still lacking in standardisation as there are different degrees of epilepsy BUT this alternative method increases validity in comparing epileptic participants

Ahh I Got that one :frown: But Thankyou anyway, Espeically for the evaluation, Yours is far moree better :redface: Do you have any predictions of what issue might come in section b? :smile:
Reply 1113
Original post by jodie.irwin27
like what? i can think of the control tasks and how they controlled for face perception and recognition of emotion (also gender task controls for demand characteristics)..
the strange stories task indicated concurrent validity
umm..and the comparison groups in the sample, how can you relate that to validity?

you could probably talk about ecological validity aswell. Some participants were tested at home but they were also tested at Cambridge University and the researchers laboratory and so were unfamiliar of the surroundings. Also the fact they completed unusual tasks which do not reflect what they would do in their normal everyday life
Reply 1114
Original post by mkhan9035
I know there's obedience (Milgram), Gambling (Griffiths), Language acquisition (Savage-Rumbaugh)
Are there any else? If so could you tell me in full what the answer would be for question (b) section C! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

How the behaviourist perspective explains conformity in Tyrannical Regimes
Behaviourists assume behaviour is learnt from others. Therefore people who act tyrannically must learn from others acting this way around them. Operant conditioning would explain that people act tyrannically due to negative reinforcement- having unpleasant stimuli taken away if they act tyrannically. In Reicher & Haslam’s study, the conformity (agreement) of some prisoners was to remove the pressure they were under to conform (obey the rules). The guards were also negatively reinforced to avoid contact with the prisoners (moving back to their quarters to avoid mock) allowing tyranny to take over.

How the behaviourist perspective explains acquisition of language.
We are all born as a blank slate and our environment shapes and determines behaviour. Operant conditioning would explain why the chimps would complete tasks due to positive reinforcement given food when presses the right button. In Savage- Rumbaugh’s study positive reinforcement was used whenever a chimp got a letter correct on the lexigram. The chimps were positively reinforced so they are more likely to carry on getting rewards.

How the behaviourist perspective explains helping behaviour.
Pilliavin’s experiment was to see if passengers would help out the model when they fell down. There was positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement. In Pilliavin’s study, the participants were more likely to help the cane victim than the drunk, as the positive reinforcement for helping the can victim is greater. There was also negative reinforcement because by helping, the unpleasant situation is removed, more people helped because of this- there was an increase in helping behaviour.

How the behaviourist perspective explains gambling addiction
Behaviourists assume everyone is born with a blank slate and therefore gambling is fixed by the environment. Operant conditioning would explain why people risk losing money due to negative reinforcement- taking away the feeling of loss by risking more money. In Griffith’s study when losing money on the machine they had to put another pound in to try and win again, creating negative reinforcement when they do get pay out. When you lose money you are negatively reinforced to put more money in, there is positive reinforcement when you win.

How the behaviourist perspective explains phobias.
The person is born as a blank state so what they see in their environment can produce the phobia. Phobias are an example of classical conditioning- a person learns throughout their life to relate a neutral (unbiased) stimulus (motivation) with feeling of fear. Hans heard a child being told not to go too close to the horse as it would bite. This created a phobia. Therefore phobias clear themselves into fear of neutral stimuli as a result of various contributing environmental factors, mostly negative experiences held by other or past experiences such as the case of Little Hans.

Describe how the behaviourist perspective could explain obedience.

Behaviourists assume behaviour is learnt from others. Therefore people that obey figures of authority must have learnt to obey figures from a young age. Nazi soldiers obeyed officers to reduce the pressure put on them (negative reinforcement.) In Milgram’s study, People carried on pressing the button to give the shocks because they were under pressure and they wanted to reduce the pressure from the researcher. Therefore we obey to remove unpleasant pressure from authority figures.

Describe how the behaviourist perspective could explain aggression.
Aggressive behaviour is created by a person’s environment; the behaviour is learnt as we are all born as a blank slate. The social learning theory would explain why aggressive behaviour would then reproduce this behaviour, if they wanted to act that way they would be motivated to. Bandura’s study of aggression, the children copied the adult role models action and started aggression towards the bobo doll. The children had the ability to reproduce the behaviour because there was a mini doll and they were motivated by the arousal.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by --K
Does anyone have a idea of what Issue might come in section B?
I want to cry right now :frown: ARGGG

When you say "Issue" you mean...?
Original post by gabbyearl
what study do you need most help with?, because obvs I cant give you info on aaaaall the studies

Um perhaps Samuel and Bryant, Reicher and Haslam and Maguire? :biggrin:
Reply 1117
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
When you say "Issue" you mean...?

Validity, Self-reports, laboratory Experiment etc..
Original post by mkhan9035
Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you give me some pointers on what you write for question c on section C please!
Reply 1119
Original post by Billie Jean
If I were you I would look at all the previous answers to these questions and there is no doubt that you won't find the information you need seriously! That's what I did anyway and downloaded all the word counts and printed the power points from college just yesterday on the core studies that other people posted and just added a few notes of my own but just only finished and now cramming my revision all day! ;( and because it's highly likely that the physiological approach, behaviourist and psychodynamic perspective will come someone also was kind enough in posting their's on word soo don't worry and just look back at the answers and I'm sure you'll be okay just follow what people predicted overall for the sections!:colondollar:

Awww that's great, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending