The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

FedERROR
Original post by smallguy
Still can't believe the lack of coverage Ferrer is getting. He disposing of all his opponents so easily, very nearly beat Rafa twice in the last two masters, yet hasn't been mentioned. I expect him to beat Tsonga, and he has every chance of winning in the final, he is in tremendous form!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reason for this is simple: he is not considered as a strong contender for grandslam titles. You can talk until you're blue in the face about how "dogged" he is, or how much of a "fighter" he is, but the fact is that he is comprehensively owned by Nadal, Djokovic, and Federer. He therefore only has a solid chance at winning a GS if he can avoid these three along the way (something that hasn't happened in about ten years I believe). It makes sense for the media to focus on people that they consider as realistic contenders for titles.

I respect him as much as the next guy, but the fact is that he has a mug mentality when it comes to these three players. Also, the fact that he nearly beat Nadal twice recently I think weakens your case rather than strengthens it: no matter how much of an advantageous position he finds himself in, he will always find ways to snatch defeat from the haws of victory against these players. It only serves to strengthen his psychological block against these players, and makes the results of future match-ups seems more inevitable than before.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2342
Original post by Ashnard
The reason for this is simple: he is not considered as a strong contender for grandslam titles. You can talk until you're blue in the face about how "dogged" he is, or how much of a "fighter" he is, but the fact is that he is comprehensively owned by Nadal, Djokovic, and Federer. He therefore only has a solid chance at winning a GS if he can avoid these three along the way (something that hasn't happened in about ten years I believe). It makes sense for the media to focus on people that they consider as realistic contenders for titles.

I respect him as much as the next guy, but the fact is that he has a mug mentality when it comes to these three players. Also, the fact that he nearly beat Nadal twice recently I think weakens your case rather than strengthens it: no matter how much of an advantageous position he finds himself in, he will always find ways to snatch defeat from the haws of victory against these players. It only serves to strengthen his psychological block against these players, and makes the results of future match-ups seems more inevitable than before.

True, but think he deserves more credit than being a fighter etc he is playing great tennis, and, if he beats Tsonga, I really feel he would more than match Novak or Rafa in the final(presuming it's either of them). At the other slams he is never a contender, true, bit at roland garros he really is, and people in the media have barely even mentioned him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2343
A question to all my fellow Fed fans:

"Should Federer switch to a bigger racket and would it help?"
Original post by Roger1
A question to all my fellow Fed fans:

"Should Federer switch to a bigger racket and would it help?"

Not a Federer fan, but regardless of how unrealistic a prospect that would be, it would most likely be to his detriment. He might get more pop off the serve and maybe fewer off center hits off the backhand (I actually have a single hander with a large racket head so I have experience with this), but it's just not simple changing rackets this late in his career and would probably affect his game for the worse. It would be fascinating to see though.
Original post by TheMagicRat
If Ferrer reaches the final I'll probably do a little jig.

That would be amazing, And he has a great chance. Most people I expect would favour Tsonga to blast his way through, but Ferrer is surprisingly good at taking apart big hitters - look at del Potro last year in Wimbledon.
Original post by Sirocco11
That would be amazing, And he has a great chance. Most people I expect would favour Tsonga to blast his way through, but Ferrer is surprisingly good at taking apart big hitters - look at del Potro last year in Wimbledon.

Hopefully their semi is on first so I can do the jig before finding out who will beat him in the final. At least that way I'll have a few hours of happiness :lol:

Looking forward to tomorrow. I wonder what Stan and Tommy can do. I expect Nadal and Djokovic to win but I think Stan and Tommy will get at least one set each.
Still love watching Federer play, even when he loses. He has such a classy, effortless style.
Nevertheless, Tsonga deserved everything today.
Reply 2348
Now I hope Federer at least wins Halle next week. It's only a 250 but these small tournaments are the ones he need to get some of his mojo back for the bigger events against the big guns. I hope he doesn't disappoint me again.
Reply 2349
Ferrer will become World no.4 if he gets to the final, even if Nadal wins RG against Ferrer he goes back to world no.5:frown:
Looks like Rafa will be mostly likely be the number 5 seed for Wimby unless Tsonga beats Ferrer and Rafa beats Nole.
I doubt Federer will get a Back to Back Wimbledon.. so after that and the Olympics (He got like 500 points) he'll drop to 5th and lower.

He is like 8th in the race to London.
Andy confirms he will make an appearance at Queens barring any setbacks. As long as he makes a decent run and comes through it without showing any signs of the injury, I would make him slight favourite for Wimbledon.
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
I doubt Federer will get a Back to Back Wimbledon.. so after that and the Olympics (He got like 500 points) he'll drop to 5th and lower.

He is like 8th in the race to London.

Good lord, your right.

Taking into account Wimbledon and the Olympics he's basically going to drop the better part of 2000 points (assuming a Wimbledon QF/SF) while even if Nadal does not win the FO, he's probably going to drop to 5th and be a few hundred points behind Ferrer.

Here's something interesting though. If Nadal holds the FO and reaches the SF at Wimbledon while Murray only reaches the SF at Wimbledon then i believe that Nadal could theoretically jump to second.

Still honestly not sure who i'd put as favourate for Wimbledon simply because i think none of them are brilliant at the moment.

I'd have to go for Federer personally purely because he's the defending champion and the Olympics for all but the final was best of three however i actually think that of all the slams if there's an opportunity to break from a young gun then Wimbledon definitely sits pretty.

A pound on Del Potro perhaps? Or if your feeling risky the likes of Dimitrov, Gulbis, Tomic.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Good lord, your right.

Taking into account Wimbledon and the Olympics he's basically going to drop the better part of 2000 points (assuming a Wimbledon QF/SF) while even if Nadal does not win the FO, he's probably going to drop to 5th and be a few hundred points behind Ferrer.

Here's something interesting though. If Nadal holds the FO and reaches the SF at Wimbledon while Murray only reaches the SF at Wimbledon then i believe that Nadal could theoretically jump to second.

Still honestly not sure who i'd put as favourate for Wimbledon simply because i think none of them are brilliant at the moment.

I'd have to go for Federer personally purely because he's the defending champion and the Olympics for all but the final was best of three however i actually think that of all the slams if there's an opportunity to break from a young gun then Wimbledon definitely sits pretty.

A pound on Del Potro perhaps? Or if your feeling risky the likes of Dimitrov, Gulbis, Tomic.

I'd say there's no favourite for Wimbledon at the moment. I'd be wary of calling Federer the "favourite" - I think it would be better to just stick with the tag of "defending champion". He's not exactly red hot heading into Wimbledon. The key to success for him at SW19 is to make sure he wins the first set in each of his matches. If he doesn't and the opponent applies pressure, he suddenly seems to lose the will to keep fighting hard.

Djokovic? Not very likely to win, purely because he can sometimes be very susceptible to poor movement on grass, particularly against a good backhand slice.

Nadal - an unknown quantity. He could have a great Wimbledon, maybe even win it with a good draw, or he could go out in Round 2 against a big hitter if he does not get it right.

Murray - has a very good shot this year (assuming he's 100% fit). He'll be determined to put the ghosts of past Wimbledon performances to bed this year.
Sharapova got beaten 6-0 in the first set. Now a double break up in the second though and serving for the set.
Reply 2355
Nadals playing
Reply 2356
Djokovic has lost 1 point on serve so far, amazing.
Reply 2357
Original post by Krish4791
I'd say there's no favourite for Wimbledon at the moment. I'd be wary of calling Federer the "favourite" - I think it would be better to just stick with the tag of "defending champion". He's not exactly red hot heading into Wimbledon. The key to success for him at SW19 is to make sure he wins the first set in each of his matches. If he doesn't and the opponent applies pressure, he suddenly seems to lose the will to keep fighting hard.

Djokovic? Not very likely to win, purely because he can sometimes be very susceptible to poor movement on grass, particularly against a good backhand slice.

Nadal - an unknown quantity. He could have a great Wimbledon, maybe even win it with a good draw, or he could go out in Round 2 against a big hitter if he does not get it right.

Murray - has a very good shot this year (assuming he's 100% fit). He'll be determined to put the ghosts of past Wimbledon performances to bed this year.

Rafas playing really good right now and his backhand also looks pretty good along with his serve.
(edited 10 years ago)
A poor set by Stans standards but that is what happens when Nadal plays with aggression - I like it :tongue:
Original post by ubi1
Rafas playing really good right now and his backhand also looks pretty good along with his serve.

Yes, he's playing well (serve is very good) - but I was talking about Wimbledon chances.

Latest