The Student Room Group

TSR Headphone and Earphone Society Mk I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
Original post by SamHedges
Honestly, if possible transformers are worth avoiding when possible. Mine constantly ran hot and I always ended up unplugging it overnight as I was worried it posed a fire hazard. If you can, get a refund on the one which broke and cancel/return the new one and buy a proper adapter from Electronic for £20. If nothing else the step down can't be good for SQ.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it did run hot. I'll look into it. Do you have a link to what you're talking about?
Original post by SMed
Yeah, it did run hot. I'll look into it. Do you have a link to what you're talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they list it on their website but just email Mark from Electromod, he should be able to sort you out with one.
Reply 1442
Are they good?
they look cheap
Reply 1443
I'm rocking a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's.

I also have a FiiO E10 amplifier, but rarely use it because my built in one is powerful enough.
Original post by iamyoda
Sony XB500 for me; really solid bass!

I'm thinking of getting the Klipsch Image S4i, does anyone recommend? My Sonys are good but they leak too much.
Also I'm not much of a basshead, I just want a good sound balance and clarity.

I'm surprised no one is talking about the Audio Technika ATH-M50s!

Not much of a basshead, but you use a pair of XB500s? :ahee:

The S4s are a bit of an ugly duckling, they're not bad but there's always better options aside from the rare times that they drop below £25. How much are you looking to spend?

The M50s do see a bit of chatter, but recent releases like the AKG K550 and Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro have detracted from their status as universally recommended for sub-£150.

I've not heard any of their offerings but I've read good things about them. I don't think people realise the market potential in the UK, they're definitely missing an opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me neither, I was hoping to play with a pair at the meet but couldn't find any.

Original post by 3mmz
Are they good?
they look cheap

Reviews have been extremely positive since their launch a few weeks ago. Pictures don't really do them justice, they're actually made from brushed aluminium.
Reply 1445
Do you have any more you recommend and also where do you buy those ear phones from
Original post by 3mmz
Do you have any more you recommend and also where do you buy those ear phones from

You can get them from Amazon. Other recommendations;

Shure SE315: supposedly a nice balanced pair, I have the lower model and they're great for the price

Audeo Phonak PFE 112: these IEMs, another pair I own, have different rioters to change the sound signature and sound great. They use a balanced armature driver though, so bass doesn't have the same impact or "thump" that you get from a more typical dynamic driver.

VSonic GR07: Extremely well regarded sub-£150 IEM, if you can find them. You'll probably have to find an eBay distributor.

Cosmic Ears BA1: These are a little different to the others. Probably not as high fidelity as the above options, but they are a well regarded entry level custom-moulded IEM. These are the other end of the "looking cheap" scale, fit precisely to your ears in a very pretty transparent purple acrylic. Customs also have the highest levels of comfort and isolation if the moulds of your ears are taken properly.

Those are the first four the spring to mind after the RE-400. Any of the five would be a good choice for different reasons.
Reply 1447
oh dont know what to get
what about the yamaha eph 100
Original post by 3mmz
oh dont know what to get
what about the yamaha eph 100

The EPH 100 are another very nice pair, one that I've recommended many times in this thread. The reason I didn't recommend them here is because by all accounts, the Hifimans I suggested initially have a similar sound signature, but just do everything a little bit better.
I really want to try some custom IEMs but they're not really something you can easily demo. Do you have any, Gofre?
I really want to try some custom IEMs but they're not really something you can easily demo. Do you have any, Gofre?

I have a pair that I got for my 21st last year, a pair of Minerva Mi-3 triple driver customs. To be honest I don't even remember what they sound like, I sent them back at least three times for different faults (they shipped with one of the audio channels compressed, they were silicon customs, followed by consecutive driver failures in the right ear) and problems have persisted. Tried, and failed, to get my money back, then gave up on them. Would not go for them again, needless to say!
Some more options where to buy earphones from:

Advanced MP3 Players:
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/

The MP3 Company:
http://www.themp3company.co.uk/

Both of them are great sites to buy from

:smile:
Damn, would you be tempted to go for any others in the future? I keep seeing photos of customs and they look so good, but I've always been confused as to how they work without vents. I'd like to pick up some further down the line but I'm going to concentrate on my home rig for the time being.
Reply 1453
Holy ****! You didn't get any money back from those? If I remember they were pretty damn expensive!
I really need a new pair of headphone- currently using Sony in ear black in ear headphones (found it in my brothers room after my apple earphones died) I have a pair of skull candy hesh- but I would like a new pair of in earphones. I listen to a range of music from Queen to breaking Benjamin to birdy to the used to Florence And the machine. So I'd like a versatile pair but with really crisp sounds! Budget: £30 but flexible if they're really good :P hope you can help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1455
Bought these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007VEQ2UU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Were fantastic, but now my left earpiece whispers the music, even on full blast. Such a shame. Is there any way of fixing it, or should I buy it again/different earphones?
(edited 10 years ago)
Damn, would you be tempted to go for any others in the future? I keep seeing photos of customs and they look so good, but I've always been confused as to how they work without vents. I'd like to pick up some further down the line but I'm going to concentrate on my home rig for the time being.

I'd definitely get another pair, in fact they may well end up being my next pair now that my desktop rig is more or less done for the timebeing, I'd just be sure to be a lot more selective when choosing a brand. In my naivety I chose Minerva because they were produced in the UK and had lots of drivers for the price, I kinda pushed the fact that there was very little said about them on Head Fi to the back of my mind. Easily the worst decision I've made in this hobby. Now I'd either go for a sub-£200 pair from Cosmic, or £400+ from Unique Melody, JH Audio or Ultimate Ears.
Original post by SMed
Holy ****! You didn't get any money back from those? If I remember they were pretty damn expensive!

Nope :erm:

Original post by reemaisthinking
I really need a new pair of headphone- currently using Sony in ear black in ear headphones (found it in my brothers room after my apple earphones died) I have a pair of skull candy hesh- but I would like a new pair of in earphones. I listen to a range of music from Queen to breaking Benjamin to birdy to the used to Florence And the machine. So I'd like a versatile pair but with really crisp sounds! Budget: £30 but flexible if they're really good :P hope you can help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Monoprice 8320 with a set of Comply T400 foam tips, or Sound magic E10 :yy:

Original post by Mr Faust
Bought these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007VEQ2UU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Were fantastic, but now my left earpiece whispers the music, even on full blast. Such a shame. Is there any way of fixing it, or should I buy it again/different earphones?

Channel imbalance normally means a wire's come loose, you're better of spending a fiver on another pair and, if you didn't do so already, make sure you unplug them and store them separately rather than leaving them plugged in when not in use.
Sennheiser Amperior for £129!

Possibly the best price : performance ratio on the market right now at this price, for a sealed headphone at least. I've snapped up a pair, now to decide whether to see them for a profit or retire my HD25s :holmes:

Original post by Tom78
Finally picked up some Sennheiser HD 25s today, I was waiting to try and justify the price lol, but I thought if they're gonna last 5 or 10 years then I may as well just splash out. Velour ear pads are the knees of the bees, but I was sold short on the 1.5m cable, may have to get an extension for DJing.

The above is probably of interest to you, seeing as they're basically HD25s, but better in every way. Probably cost less than you paid for yours too, if you bought them new :yep:
(edited 10 years ago)
Silver are out of stock and blue are at ~£260. Sounds like they had a few they wanted to get rid of or a fat fingered mistake but you did well to get them at that price!

Original post by Mr Faust

This happened to every Creative IEM I owned but it's not happened to any of my Monoprice pairs yet. If you're any good at DIY you could try taking a razor blade and opening up the broken one and seeing if there's a broken connection which you might be able to re-solder.

If not, send them back to Amazon and get a replacement pair, I liked mine so much that I bought a further four. Get a pair of the pink or white ones in preference as they have a rubber cable and rubberised housing that's more comfortable and the cable reduces microphonics (cable noise).
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending