The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daniel George
is everyone relaxing or chilling tonight?

edit..I mean revising...

Chilling, at the end of the day if you don't know your stuff now you never will is my opinion.
Just got to pray for nice questions!
Original post by CF25
How hard is it to get a C in this exam?

You need approx 45/90 raw marks
Original post by dawg
Has anybody else got General Studies in the morning? I've got 4 and a half hours of exams tomorrow!

Finally someone else doing that exam!.

I havent revised for that. What about yourself?
Do you have any idea what may come up?
And how are you going to cope with the huge amount of time we are writing?
Reply 2283
praying introduced species does not come up for ecosystems
I have all ready asked this question but how are you guys going to structure your 40 markers?
This is what I struggle on.
Reply 2285
Original post by jacob1208
Finally someone else doing that exam!.

I havent revised for that. What about yourself?
Do you have any idea what may come up?
And how are you going to cope with the huge amount of time we are writing?

I haven't revised at all, may sound retarded but I was actually planning on going into the exam and just writing out answers to questions that may come up in the geography exam! General studies is an utter waste of time in my case, two hours where I could be doing geography revision. Thank god for caffeine pills, otherwise I don't think I could hack 4 and a half hours!
Original post by HenryLinguistic
Feeling fairly confident atm, not sure by tomorrow though.. has anyone got an idea as to why management of the Montserrat eruption was poor? That's my general thoughts anyway seeing as it's an LEDC. Good luck for tomorrow y'all :biggrin:

I wouldn't say the management was poor. It was hardly an Armero-type tragedy; there's not much you can do to stop ash falling or pyroclastic flows devastating housing. The very fact that thousands were evacuated shows management was successful.
Reply 2287
Ive started to realise that worrying is pointless. Most of the time, facts ARE actually going into your head you just realise it. Once you put pen to paper, you'll realise that you will soon start to remember much more than you thought. Believe in yourself!
I have all ready asked this question but how are you guys going to structure your 40 markers?

I think I'm gonna look at the question and plan everything I think should be included. Then I'll probably work out how to link each bit together nicely/add case study examples and go from there! Like probably working my way up from the introduction, then the basic information and then the more gritty stuff like the case studies! Just remember to link every paragraph and nearly every statement back to the question and don't just write fact after fact because that's the error I usually make which got me marked down in my mock papers!
Reply 2289
Original post by midnightice
I wouldn't say the management was poor. It was hardly an Armero-type tragedy; there's not much you can do to stop ash falling or pyroclastic flows devastating housing. The very fact that thousands were evacuated shows management was successful.

That's up for debate - if so many people were evacuated surely that meant there were not enough strategies in place to deal with homelessness and areas deemed unsafe to live in.

In my opinion structure depends the question.
I find the human topics easier to structure because generally they ask about the effects of something so you do a paragraph on economic effects, one on social effects etc.
or if it is an evaluation question, or an assess question, I'd do like 2/3 paragraphs for the statement that include case study material, then 2/3 against the statement.
for the introduction, keep it brief, say what places you are talking about if you are going to use a specific case studies, maybe give a brief outline of key words from the question.
then for my conclusion, sum up what you've said, give your opinion in the form of something new that you haven't already discussed (if that makes sense)
just make sure you keep integrating case study material through out and make sure your paragraphs are themed and you should do fine :smile:
hope that helps.
Original post by LuLinda95
I think I'm gonna look at the question and plan everything I think should be included. Then I'll probably work out how to link each bit together nicely/add case study examples and go from there! Like probably working my way up from the introduction, then the basic information and then the more gritty stuff like the case studies! Just remember to link every paragraph and nearly every statement back to the question and don't just write fact after fact because that's the error I usually make which got me marked down in my mock papers!

Great thanks for the advice
Original post by HenryLinguistic
Feeling fairly confident atm, not sure by tomorrow though.. has anyone got an idea as to why management of the Montserrat eruption was poor? That's my general thoughts anyway seeing as it's an LEDC. Good luck for tomorrow y'all :biggrin:

My notes on the Montserrat management was:
- Scientists studied the volcano in the 1980s but their report wasn't given a lot of attention.
- There was no disaster management plan so responses were very slow .
-In the 1990s key infrastructure had been built in the areas at risk e.g. schools and hospitals so it was destroyed in the eruption which further hampered the respinse.

So I'd say yeah, the management was pretty poor and it could have been made a lot better!
Original post by Sophster101
In my opinion structure depends the question.
I find the human topics easier to structure because generally they ask about the effects of something so you do a paragraph on economic effects, one on social effects etc.
or if it is an evaluation question, or an assess question, I'd do like 2/3 paragraphs for the statement that include case study material, then 2/3 against the statement.
for the introduction, keep it brief, say what places you are talking about if you are going to use a specific case studies, maybe give a brief outline of key words from the question.
then for my conclusion, sum up what you've said, give your opinion in the form of something new that you haven't already discussed (if that makes sense)
just make sure you keep integrating case study material through out and make sure your paragraphs are themed and you should do fine :smile:
hope that helps.

It will do, thanks
Reply 2294
Original post by joereed
That's up for debate - if so many people were evacuated surely that meant there were not enough strategies in place to deal with homelessness and areas deemed unsafe to live in.

I've got that they were monitoring the volcano very closely, and this allowed early warnings and the evacuation of Plymouth and the Southern half of the island as soon as activity began to pick up!
Reply 2295
My notes on the Montserrat management was:
- Scientists studied the volcano in the 1980s but their report wasn't given a lot of attention.
- There was no disaster management plan so responses were very slow .
-In the 1990s key infrastructure had been built in the areas at risk e.g. schools and hospitals so it was destroyed in the eruption which further hampered the respinse.

So I'd say yeah, the management was pretty poor and it could have been made a lot better!

from the revision guide? haha same here :wink:
Original post by dawg
I haven't revised at all, may sound retarded but I was actually planning on going into the exam and just writing out answers to questions that may come up in the geography exam! General studies is an utter waste of time in my case, two hours where I could be doing geography revision. Thank god for caffeine pills, otherwise I don't think I could hack 4 and a half hours!

Yeah, I haven't revised for the General studies exams. I just hope something I am relatively knowledgeable comes up as I can bull**** my way through the two 50 markers
Original post by joereed

I guess you could say the response has been relatively slow i.e. new housing completed in 2005...
But the surrounding populations were aware of the threat with all the hazard zones created for the island.
What strategies can deal with mass homelessness? The country is limited in size as well as general economic prosperity so the migration strategies and the temporary housing strategies seemed to work well considering their situation.

Of course, arguing either way would look great in an answer!
Original post by Gary
from the revision guide? haha same here :wink:

Haha how did you guess?! :wink:

It's probably quite bad that I've used the revision guide rather than most of my own notes, it means I've got different case studies to most of my classmates but I just find it so much more reassuring knowing that all of the information is there rather than sifting through my notes and hoping I've got everything!

That is what I have stuggled on aswell. How do you link them back to the question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending