The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reubenkinara
Nice. The FP1,2 and D1 will be useful.
I like the recent revision videos you've been doing!

Thanks
I just want to make sure my year 12/13 pupils have the best chance possible.
Some learn from video outside of lessons, others learn from the countless books I dish out :wink:.
Its all about what works for them.
I can never get it 100% right for each student but give it a go! :smile:
Original post by kronca
hi

can edexcel give a question which is harder than the questions in the extension questions in the oxford and the other big c3c4 textbook?

They could do and the responses they would get will be evident in grade boundaries.
They are highly unlikely to to do something crazy on questions that carry a high number of marks.
I think the blue flash questions are seen to be beyond the spec and are very useful for top end students who want to have all bases covered and think beyond the plug and chug questions that get churned out each year.
To conclude!! Yes, but unlikely and it would reflect in the markscheme (we hope) if the cohort found it beyond them (in the main).
Original post by pepeeglesfield
pretty sure you would do du/dx as you are given a term that u is equal to in terms of x, hence you differentiate with respect to x

I do dx/du and I still get the right answer though, which is what I find weird
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I do dx/du and I still get the right answer though, which is what I find weird

really? well if i were you I'd do du/dx anyway just to be safe
im abit confused to how the mark scheme answered this? :confused:
Hey guys, sorry if I'm derailing the thread a bit but I have a question regarding how the Edexcel exams are marked. I had my M2 exam today in which I had crossed out the correct working out and replaced it with working that was incorrect. Will I still get marks based off the working out that I crossed out? My Maths teacher said that crossed out working would still get marks in this case but I'd like to get a second opinion on it.
Original post by masryboy94
im abit confused to how the mark scheme answered this? :confused:

Which bit are you confused on? :smile:
Original post by Zaphod77
Which bit are you confused on? :smile:

how they got from the LHS to the RHS of the second line in the mark scheme
(edited 10 years ago)
how they got from the RHS to the LHS of the second line in the mark scheme

Basically they were putting both sides of the equation as a fraction over (x+2)(x+3). Then they can compare the numerators. In order to do this they had to multiply the RHS by (x+3)/(x+3), and one of the LHS fractions by (x+2)(x+2).
Original post by Zaphod77
Basically they were putting both sides of the equation as a fraction over (x+2)(x+3). Then they can compare the numerators. In order to do this they had to multiply the RHS by (x+3)/(x+3), and one of the LHS fractions by (x+2)(x+2).

oooo i thought they meant that the LHS would simplify to give the RHS, ahhh thank you :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
oooo i thought they meant that the LHS would simply to give the RHS, ahhh thank you :biggrin:

No problem, I can understand why you got confused! :smile:
So, apparently the M2 exam today was ridiculously hard. :/ I'm a bit worried for the replacement C3 paper now.
Original post by m4ths/maths247
They could do and the responses they would get will be evident in grade boundaries.
They are highly unlikely to to do something crazy on questions that carry a high number of marks.
I think the blue flash questions are seen to be beyond the spec and are very useful for top end students who want to have all bases covered and think beyond the plug and chug questions that get churned out each year.
To conclude!! Yes, but unlikely and it would reflect in the markscheme (we hope) if the cohort found it beyond them (in the main).

hello! ur dedication is incredible! i just had a quick question to ask you: have you done any c3/c4 videos recently to help us out with revision? also, i am retaking c3 and doing c4 like normal...any revision tips? what should i focus on with c3 ... i am not planning to do all those past papers again because i have already done them and can remember the stuff pretty much! I was aiming for an a star last time , but some question, although were easy, tripped me up because i think i panicked a lot. i ended up with 75 / 100 any tips? thanks ur dedication is always appreciated~
Thanks
I just want to make sure my year 12/13 pupils have the best chance possible.
Some learn from video outside of lessons, others learn from the countless books I dish out :wink:.
Its all about what works for them.
I can never get it 100% right for each student but give it a go! :smile:

Hope that there were more maths teachers like u! :smile:
Original post by Kathiye
So, apparently the M2 exam today was ridiculously hard. :/ I'm a bit worried for the replacement C3 paper now.

me too :/ especially after the unexpected Jan paper.
We'll see after we hear about the FP1 and M3 replacement papers.
Original post by laurawoods
Hope that there were more maths teachers like u! :smile:

Thanks!
I don't always get it right. There are some students I can't reach out to but I try and appreciate I can't win them all.
In terms of your revision? Its hard because what works for one doesn't for the next.
I personally at this late stage would be aiming at just doing repetitious sessions on topics you are not happy with.
Every teach wants pupils to have a deep understanding and earlier on in a course or a pupils school life teaching why rather than what is important.
When its one week out from an exam and the student may not take maths further its often a case of playing the game and parrot fashion learning.
D1 is a great module for this BTW! :smile:
I would pick your least favourite topic, get all the questions and just bang out question after question IF IF IF you are happy with the rest of the content.
That is though one of many ways people CAN revise.
I personally, myself, not my students, sit and do back to back papers such that it was so mechanical that when I did the real one most of the questions were just a case of the numbers seeming to be changed and I had the method in my head.
That usually was after months of solid learning though.
Find what works for you but certainly don't stress out if you have 'bad maths day' up to the exam. It happens but 99/100 times in the exam you will be paying full attention and it generally goes ok. Enjoy and good luck :smile:
Thanks!
I don't always get it right. There are some students I can't reach out to but I try and appreciate I can't win them all.
In terms of your revision? Its hard because what works for one doesn't for the next.
I personally at this late stage would be aiming at just doing repetitious sessions on topics you are not happy with.
Every teach wants pupils to have a deep understanding and earlier on in a course or a pupils school life teaching why rather than what is important.
When its one week out from an exam and the student may not take maths further its often a case of playing the game and parrot fashion learning.
I would pick your least favourite topic, get all the questions and just bang out question after question IF IF IF you are happy with the rest of the content.
I personally, myself, not my students, sit and do back to back papers such that it was so mechanical that when I did the real one most of the questions were just a case of the numbers seeming to be changed and I had the method in my head.
Find what works for you but certainly don't stress out if you have 'bad maths day' up to the exam. It happens but 99/100 times in the exam you will be paying full attention and it generally goes ok. Enjoy and good luck :smile:

Thanks for this :h: have you seen the M2 paper? What did you think of it?
Thanks!

hello! will you be on tsr tomorrow ...i had a couple a questions to ask regarding c3 and trig functions? :smile:
Hey guys, I was just wondering if I was aiming for an A*, is it worth doing C3/C4 solomon papers? This has probably been asked to death, but I've seen a lot of mixed replies! And if it is worth doing, should I do all or just some?
Reply 2159
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Hey guys, I was just wondering if I was aiming for an A*, is it worth doing C3/C4 solomon papers? This has probably been asked to death, but I've seen a lot of mixed replies! And if it is worth doing, should I do all or just some?

I've never done them, but if you've run out of C3/C4 papers and feel like you need extra preparation, go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending