The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Lenton & Wortley 2013/14

Scroll to see replies

I think I’ll just miss the friendships that have become a lot stronger over the last two years, simply because my year became a lot smaller after the transition from year 11 to sixth form.

Thanks for the pictures Emily, just makes me feel more privileged to have been given a place at L & W!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by CunningLearner
I think I’ll just miss the friendships that have become a lot stronger over the last two years, simply because my year became a lot smaller after the transition from year 11 to sixth form.

Thanks for the pictures Emily, just makes me feel more privileged to have been given a place at L & W!

No problem dear! I feel so excited about moving in to L&W, apparently there's a nice little park area next to it :3
Reply 102
Well... not so much a little park. The entire campus is pretty much a park, although L&W is also close to Wollaton Park which is a massive park.

By the way, I was the person whose pictures you linked to earlier - thanks, and I hope you all enjoy your time at Nottingham. I just left there having spent 8 years there to get an undergrad and PhD, and believe me, you will miss it when it's gone. My advice - get involved with the students' union - it's fun, you're helping people, and it's great on your CV. Oh, and go to Cucamara's bar in town - lovely little place.
Original post by TheNewNo2
Well... not so much a little park. The entire campus is pretty much a park, although L&W is also close to Wollaton Park which is a massive park.

By the way, I was the person whose pictures you linked to earlier - thanks, and I hope you all enjoy your time at Nottingham. I just left there having spent 8 years there to get an undergrad and PhD, and believe me, you will miss it when it's gone. My advice - get involved with the students' union - it's fun, you're helping people, and it's great on your CV. Oh, and go to Cucamara's bar in town - lovely little place.

As if, hahaha! Can I add, they are very nice pictures and very helpful, it took me endless searches and yours came up. I'm glad I found them since they are the only good quality ones I could find. 8 years?! That is such a long time. Thanks for the advice! What are you doing now your study is finished? :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by emilypsychology
As if, hahaha! Can I add, they are very nice pictures and very helpful, it took me endless searches and yours came up. I'm glad I found them since they are the only good quality ones I could find. 8 years?! That is such a long time. Thanks for the advice! What are you doing now your study is finished? :smile:

I got a job as a performance analyst with London Underground Ltd.

I'm glad you like the pictures. I upload all my stuff to flickr, and then a fair amount goes to Wikimedia Commons. Without me, the entirety of the UoN category would be just pretty buildings, which is hardly a fair reflection on student life. That said, it's now mostly pretty buildings.

8 years seems like a long time, and it sort of is, but it also isn't. I regret not getting more involved with the SU before my final years there - could have had so much more fun if I'd just found out about it sooner.

I never got round to L&W much, it wasn't on my walk to the maths department. I lived in Melton hall for most of my time as a postgrad - it's the uni's only postgrad hall, and it's the one no one's ever heard of. When I was an undergrad I was in Nightingale, which was nice, though I had a room over the entrance so it wasn't quiet on Campus14 nights.

Oh, and take a walk on Jubilee Campus at night - it's absolutely beautiful.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 105
I got a job as a performance analyst for the London Underground.

8 years is a long time but also very short - get involved from the start and you'll have more fun. I wish I'd got into SU stuff from my first year, I might even have run for president or something.

Glad you like the photos - I made it my job to add more photos of the Uni to Wikipedia - before I started, you'd think all students did was stare at pretty buildings. Now you know it's just mostly what they do :tongue:

I never got to L&W much though - it was never on my way to anywhere. I was in Nightingale as an undergrad, and Melton as a postgrad.
Original post by TheNewNo2
I got a job as a performance analyst for the London Underground.

8 years is a long time but also very short - get involved from the start and you'll have more fun. I wish I'd got into SU stuff from my first year, I might even have run for president or something.

Glad you like the photos - I made it my job to add more photos of the Uni to Wikipedia - before I started, you'd think all students did was stare at pretty buildings. Now you know it's just mostly what they do :tongue:

I never got to L&W much though - it was never on my way to anywhere. I was in Nightingale as an undergrad, and Melton as a postgrad.

Thankyou for the photos :smile:
Hi everyone! I've got an offer for an ensuite room at L&W for September 13! I will (hopefully..if i get the grades) be studying economics :-) also i live in Norfolk so Nottingham is only a couple of hours away.

good luck with exams everyone :-) hope to see you all going crazy at Freshers!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by charlottegarf
Hi everyone! I've got an offer for an ensuite room at L&W for September 13! I will (hopefully..if i get the grades) be studying economics :-) also i live in Norfolk so Nottingham is only a couple of hours away.

Welcome :smile:, how are your exams going so far?
Original post by CunningLearner
Welcome :smile:, how are your exams going so far?

I've only had one, and have my second tomorrow but it went okay! My January modules were really good so there's a weight off my shoulders for these exams! How about yourself?
Reply 110
Hi, just found this, yay other people!
I'm (hopefully) going to be at Lenton and Wortley, studying Business and French. :biggrin:
I've gone for the single study.
Hi everyone :smile: I've been allocated a private shared bathroom in L&W! Really excited :biggrin:
My boyfriend is at the university this year so I've been to visit loads and L&W is definitely one of the nicer halls in my opinion!
Really nervous about starting, granted I get the grade I need from my resit (I'm on a gap year atm). It's nice to be able to speak to some people beforehand who're starting in September too :smile:
Original post by charlottegarf

You will probably be with the ensuiters at Wortley hall :smile: Good luck (regarding you're doing exams) too!

Original post by iammel
Hi, just found this, yay other people!
I'm (hopefully) going to be at Lenton and Wortley, studying Business and French. :biggrin:
I've gone for the single study.

That's a good combination of business and french :smile: glad to hear you're joining the L&W lot :smile: have you finished your exams yet? :smile:

Original post by laurajadex
Hi everyone :smile: I've been allocated a private shared bathroom in L&W! Really excited :biggrin:
My boyfriend is at the university this year so I've been to visit loads and L&W is definitely one of the nicer halls in my opinion!
Really nervous about starting, granted I get the grade I need from my resit (I'm on a gap year atm). It's nice to be able to speak to some people beforehand who're starting in September too :smile:

Hi :biggrin: I've got a PSB too! We could be one of some on here who may be sharing a bathroom haha! I'm glad you think L&W is one of the better halls, it seems it socially from what I've read. Don't be nervous about starting, it will be great! Are you coming from far? Regarding everyone gets accepted and gets the grades we can all trade numbers before hand so we can meet each other so it's not so daunting on the day :smile:
Hi :biggrin: I've got a PSB too! We could be one of some on here who may be sharing a bathroom haha! I'm glad you think L&W is one of the better halls, it seems it socially from what I've read. Don't be nervous about starting, it will be great! Are you coming from far? Regarding everyone gets accepted and gets the grades we can all trade numbers before hand so we can meet each other so it's not so daunting on the day :smile:

Would be so strange to find out you'd been speaking to someone who you end up sharing a bathroom with! Yeah it was one of my favourite halls before I got allocated there so I was super excited when I received my offer of accommodation! I accepted it straight away haha.
I'm from Derby, which is the neighbouring city to Nottingham so not far at all! I'm fairly familiar with the city too which means that side of it won't be as daunting for me either :smile: where are you from? & that sounds like a brilliant idea! So nervous for results day already aaarggh. What are you studying at the minute? x
Would be so strange to find out you'd been speaking to someone who you end up sharing a bathroom with! Yeah it was one of my favourite halls before I got allocated there so I was super excited when I received my offer of accommodation! I accepted it straight away haha.
I'm from Derby, which is the neighbouring city to Nottingham so not far at all! I'm fairly familiar with the city too which means that side of it won't be as daunting for me either :smile: where are you from? & that sounds like a brilliant idea! So nervous for results day already aaarggh. What are you studying at the minute? x

I would like that! I will probably ask people if they are on TSR tbh. My exams are over on the 17th so after that I'm making a Facebook to join all these Notts groups to find people in common in terms of course and halls. I accepted L&W as my second random allocation to Sherwood, I was glad to have it as my wild card since I've apparently walked past it according to my dad on our way back from Lincoln hall but I can't remember it, I've never been inside or around it but I am glad you have high opinions of it! :biggrin:

Lucky you! I'm from Sunderland in the North East of England. I will be about four and a half hours away *sobs* haha :smile: You will have to show me around the city if we get the grades, that's one thing I have been panicking about is that I have never been in the city centre of Nottingham, hoping it isn't a dive and there is plenty to do. Me too and I haven't even finished my exams yet, I've done two exams last week and I still have the three hardest ones left. At the minute I am doing three A2s in Psychology, Religious Studies and Sociology also finished my Extended Project a few months ago at A* which was the bane of my life :rolleyes: x
(edited 10 years ago)
I would like that! I will probably ask people if they are on TSR tbh. My exams are over on the 17th so after that I'm making a Facebook to join all these Notts groups to find people in common in terms of course and halls. I accepted L&W as my second random allocation to Sherwood, I was glad to have it as my wild card since I've apparently walked past it according to my dad on our way back from Lincoln hall but I can't remember it, I've never been inside or around it but I am glad you have high opinions of it! :biggrin:

Lucky you! I'm from Sunderland in the North East of England. I will be about four and a half hours away *sobs* haha :smile: You will have to show me around the city if we get the grades, that's one thing I have been panicking about is that I have never been in the city centre of Nottingham, hoping it isn't a dive and there is plenty to do. Me too and I haven't even finished my exams yet, I've done two exams last week and I still have the three hardest ones left. At the minute I am doing three A2s in Psychology, Religious Studies and Sociology also finished my Extended Project a few months ago at A* which was the bane of my life :rolleyes: x

Not long to go now then! Good luck for your last 3 exams then, I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Sherwood is an alright hall too, but it's not as nice as L&W :P my boyfriend is at Willoughby at the minute which basically looks like a block of council flats so he's really jealous haha! It has a Mix bar too so we won't be as restricted to the same old boring food for lunch if we choose to eat in halls :smile:

Oooh I'm happy to have finally spoken to someone that's not from the south! A lot of people at the university with my boyfriend are from the south and there's a lot of banter regarding "northerners" as we're apparently inferior to them :wink: so we'll have to tag-team up and give them just as much banter back :P haha. Although technically I'm probably a "midlander" if such thing exists...

Yeah I definitely will show you around. Don't worry, it's a really good city. There's loads to do and it's brilliant for shopping. I've been on a night out once in Nottingham a few weeks ago and that was really good too, although I didn't go on a student night so it was pretty expensive. Should be going on a boat party and into the city again tomorrow night though to a diferent club so will let you know how that goes!

Your A Levels sound like hard work! Kudos to you doing extended project, I started mine but quit after a few weeks as I couldn't handle the work load and preferred to be able to concentrate on my exams/coursework. I did English Literature and Media which I got A and A* in, and History which I got a C in (oops) and am awaiting the result of my resit which will have HOPEFULLY pushed me up to a B :smile: x
Not long to go now then! Good luck for your last 3 exams then, I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Sherwood is an alright hall too, but it's not as nice as L&W :P my boyfriend is at Willoughby at the minute which basically looks like a block of council flats so he's really jealous haha! It has a Mix bar too so we won't be as restricted to the same old boring food for lunch if we choose to eat in halls :smile:

Oooh I'm happy to have finally spoken to someone that's not from the south! A lot of people at the university with my boyfriend are from the south and there's a lot of banter regarding "northerners" as we're apparently inferior to them :wink: so we'll have to tag-team up and give them just as much banter back :P haha. Although technically I'm probably a "midlander" if such thing exists...

Yeah I definitely will show you around. Don't worry, it's a really good city. There's loads to do and it's brilliant for shopping. I've been on a night out once in Nottingham a few weeks ago and that was really good too, although I didn't go on a student night so it was pretty expensive. Should be going on a boat party and into the city again tomorrow night though to a diferent club so will let you know how that goes!

Your A Levels sound like hard work! Kudos to you doing extended project, I started mine but quit after a few weeks as I couldn't handle the work load and preferred to be able to concentrate on my exams/coursework. I did English Literature and Media which I got A and A* in, and History which I got a C in (oops) and am awaiting the result of my resit which will have HOPEFULLY pushed me up to a B :smile: x

Thank you :smile: yeah, Sherwood didn't do it for me, I was shown around it on the offer holder open day and it was in tatters inside, especially in the common areas, there was a chair turned upside down and I was just a bit bewildered as to what on earth was going on. Food will be a problem for me because of my wheat allergy so I'll end up losing weight whilst I'm there from being constrained to eating salad :frown:

I'm the definition of Northern, I am as North up in the country as you can get and I'll stick out like a sore thumb when I speak at Nottingham. I would say you're Southern, just because you're Southern than where I am at haha but no, you are in fact a midlander :smile: However, if you're siding with Northerners you can join my team.

Oh that will be great :biggrin: I've heard Lenton and Wortley hall do boat parties for freshers which seems awesome as I've been on one before, but not in Nottingham and not with my halls.

I hope you get your B in History. Well done on that A and A*! I am hoping for at least A*AA but juggling 5 exams has been really awful and stressful. The extended project was quite rushed for me, I did really little from September to December in terms of writing it, all I did was really gather some sources I could find things in. My January exams came up then I left it for a while and in the February holidays I went into college most days to start writing and planning it for hours on end :smile: It's a load of hassle but it will prepare me for university dissertations so it can't be too bad x
Hello everyone, I finally made a Facebook now exams are over :biggrin: does anyone have any good links for Uni of Nottingham groups that they use? :smile:
Reply 118
Hello everyone, I finally made a Facebook now exams are over :biggrin: does anyone have any good links for Uni of Nottingham groups that they use? :smile:

Official Nottingham Firmers 2013
Original post by MMackie12
Official Nottingham Firmers 2013

Thanks, I joined that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending