The Student Room Group

Would you rather be feared or loved?

A quote from Machiavell's book The Prince, 'It is better to be feared than loved, you cannot be both'

What does everybody think? Would you live your life were everybody feared you or live your life were everybody loved you? They both have there advantages and disadvantages but what is everybody's opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Loved, obviously. :confused:
Reply 2
Original post by Maid Marian
Loved, obviously. :confused:

Machiavelli was a great philosopher and some people actually live by his philosophy etc, but obviously I'd rather be loved but being feared does have its advantages also which has actually been proven.
Loved. I'd rather be able to make friends honestly than have people think I'm an ******* behind my back.

Plus, I don't have any interest in starting a dictatorship of any sort in the near future.
Reply 4
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Loved. I'd rather be able to make friends honestly than have people think I'm an ******* behind my back.

Plus, I don't have any interest in starting a dictatorship of any sort in the near future.

Machiavelli thought that a mixture of both was good but it was better to be feared than loved mainly because It is much safer. According to Machiavelli, most men are ungrateful and covetous.
Meaning: Those that love you will back-stab you if it means gaining something that they want. However if they fear you, they won't bother.
Loved - being loved also gives people an element of respect for you as well which is pretty much the only good thing about fear?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'd obviously rather be loved than feared, but its just interesting to read people's views and opinions on it. I've asked a few people and friends about it and had mixed answers some would rather be feared due to respect, safer and less chance of being in a confrontation also had some who would rather be loved for the respect, more likeable, living in peace & harmony and wanting to influence and motivate people. Machiavelli has interested me alot I'd highly reccomend reading a few Machiavelli books learn so many things about how kings and there empires lived centuries ago.
Original post by ScouserLFC
A quote from Machiavell's book The Prince, 'It is better to be feared than loved, you cannot be both'

What does everybody think? Would you live your life were everybody feared you or live your life were everybody loved you? They both have there advantages and disadvantages but what is everybody's opinion?

Most situations I would always say loved but sometimes it is better to be feared.
Machiavelli thought that a mixture of both was good but it was better to be feared than loved mainly because It is much safer. According to Machiavelli, most men are ungrateful and covetous.
Meaning: Those that love you will back-stab you if it means gaining something that they want. However if they fear you, they won't bother.

Doesn't that contradict the quote in your first post? And I've read very little Machiavelli but I don't think his writings works that well now.
Reply 9

Not to mention that love can cause jealousy and envy which can be dangerous.
Reply 10
Original post by alexs2602
Not to mention that love can cause jealousy and envy which can be dangerous.

Yes you are right that is very true, which being feared gains its advantage.
Loved. I'm a terminal people-pleaser.

I think it depends on your own objectives and goals although I think Machiavelli was right when he said that it much easier to break the bonds of love than fear.
Feared. Fear brings money, power and love, although this may not be true love but love none the less.
Loved - I'd rather be able to approach people and engage in a decent conversation in stead of them being terrified of my presence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Loved.

Machiavelli is overrated and most of his teachings aren't particularly relevant to ordinary people like us.
Reply 16
I don't think anyone would rather be feared. Even people like Hitler, Stalin and Simon Cowell. Power and control over people is much easier when they literally worship you.

The only example that I could think of who wouldn't want to be loved is Nolan's The Joker, although I doubt he would care whether he was both (and would probably relish both fear and love for his own pleasure and games).
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar
Reply 18
It would be more interesting to be feared

But seriously I'd much rather be loved, why would you need people to fear you if you're loved?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending