The Student Room Group

someone give advice to a lonely 17 year old male

hello

i am 17 and have very few friends other than the ones i see at college everyday. i havent had proper friends since high school and all my old friends have entirely moved on from me. i want to make new friends and as of recently im trying to talk to people in lessons whenever i can. i am usually very quiet and an trying to become more extroverted but it is very difficult due to my social anxiety. what can i do to actually make friends and build a social circle?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bbcenjoyer
hello

i am 17 and have very few friends other than the ones i see at college everyday. i havent had proper friends since high school and all my old friends have entirely moved on from me. i want to make new friends and as of recently im trying to talk to people in lessons whenever i can. i am usually very quiet and an trying to become more extroverted but it is very difficult due to my social anxiety. what can i do to actually make friends and build a social circle?

Join a few school clubs if at all possible that suit your interests. You will meet like-minded people so you will be able to form bonds with someone with common interest(s) and have something to talk about.

There will be people you say "hi" or "hello" to and then just leave it at that. Maybe try to extend your conversation with them? That's how I came to know one of my best friends as of today.

Also, this isn't intended to sound harsh or anything but you will go to university or do an apprenticeship in the coming few months. You will have a brand new start so you can build new bonds there and make new friends.

It's really unfortunate that you have lost your old friends. Maybe try asking around to see if anyone has their phone numbers or anything?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Join a few school clubs if at all possible that suit your interests. You will meet like-minded people so you will be able to form bonds with someone with common interest(s) and have something to talk about.

There will be people you say "hi" or "hello" to and then just leave it at that. Maybe try to extend your conversation with them? That's how I came to know one of my best friends as of today.

Also, this isn't intended to sound harsh or anything but you will go to university or do an apprenticeship in the coming few months. You will have a brand new start so you can build new bonds there and make new friends.

It's really unfortunate that you have lost your old friends. Maybe try asking around to see if anyone has their phone numbers or anything?

im at a club but its still very hard for me to even say hi to people i dont know...

theres also this girl who ive kind of had a crush on since i started in y12 (im in y13) and i occasionally talk to her in lessons but rarely outside, what should i do?
im at a club but its still very hard for me to even say hi to people i dont know...

theres also this girl who ive kind of had a crush on since i started in y12 (im in y13) and i occasionally talk to her in lessons but rarely outside, what should i do?

If they don't know you, make them know you! (I mean this nicely of course). Introduce yourself to the people you don't know and form some form of a connection with them...

As for your crush, start talking to her more often until the day you pluck the courage to ask her out. I'm probably not the best person to talk to for crush advice but back yourself is a bit of advice I can give you.
Reply 4
im 17 and have no friends and am still a virgin. i want to start talking to girls and maybe get a girlfriend but surely theyre going to be put off by the fact i am a still a virgin loner at 17?
Reply 5
there are plenty of girl loners for you to meet.... the ladies do not all have buzzing social lives :h::
Reply 6
im 17, still a virgin, never kissed

girls rarely spoke to me in high school, there were 2 girls who i was friends with who eventually lost interest

now im at college and still barely any girls talk to me, why is this? am i ugly or is it because i dont talk much, i dont understand
Reply 7

girls rarely spoke to me in high school, there were 2 girls who i was friends with who eventually lost interest

now im at college and still barely any girls talk to me, why is this? am i ugly or is it because i dont talk much, i dont understand

You’re still very young and obviously rather shy.
If you don’t talk to girls, why should they talk to you?
Reply 8

Hiya, I'm in my second year of sixth form and I haven't had anything like that. I know more people in my sixth form that have NOT had their first kiss than have.

My advice is make sure to shower regularly, use nice smelling cologne & deodorant, don't wear clothes that are past it (e.g. have holes, stains that can't be removed, are threadbare) if you can help it.

Also, girls are not robots. YOU need to make the effort or how do they know you're there? Remember to not lose yourself trying to find a girlfriend, just keep your mates close and get through college 👍.
Nothing wrong with being a virgin at 17.
You know why
Reply 11
is this bad? if i tell girls ive never kissed will they consider this a red flag?
It's over.
Reply 13
My uncle made it to the age of 17 without kissing a girl. He never found love and is an alcoholic.
I was once in the same boat. I am now staring down and abyss of drugs an alcoholism. I hope you don't go down the same path, but for those that have not kissed by the age of 17, it is an all too familiar story.
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous #2
I was once in the same boat. I am now staring down and abyss of drugs an alcoholism. I hope you don't go down the same path, but for those that have not kissed by the age of 17, it is an all too familiar story.

so its completely over for me and my dating life
so its completely over for me and my dating life

Definitely not mate, you're only 17. Probably a majority of people hadn't done anything when they were 17. You're in the same boat as most people.
Reply 17
im 17 and a kissless, handholdless virgin, girls are repulsed by me for some reason

how do i cope knowing its over
im 17 and a kissless, handholdless virgin, girls are repulsed by me for some reason

how do i cope knowing its over

Your 17 and you should focus on your a levels and education obtain your qualifications and a girl will love you for that
Reply 19
Original post by Mohammed_80
Your 17 and you should focus on your a levels and education obtain your qualifications and a girl will love you for that

wow brilliant advice, ill just continue being lonely and having no friends and miss out on everything good about being a teenager to just "focus on qualifications", then what ******?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending