The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prendah
Don't hate him, just his fans.

Yep. Why I've never liked Fedal as a whole, actually.
Hate all the top 4 fans. Murrays lot, Federers, Nadals and Djokovic. All terrible.
Reply 3082
Original post by Malevolent
Hate all the top 4 fans. Murrays lot, Federers, Nadals and Djokovic. All terrible.

I would almost widen that to fans who are overly partisan for(or particularly against) almost any team/player.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Undoubtedly the greatest clay court man of all time. Vamos. Feds record is next.

Not too likely. He needs to win the US Open this year just to keep pace with Fed to the same age. If he doesn't then he need 3 next year just to match Fed. It's also doubtful Nadal's knee will hold until he's 32 like Fed.
Reply 3084
Original post by Rakas21
Not too likely. He needs to win the US Open this year just to keep pace with Fed to the same age. If he doesn't then he need 3 next year just to match Fed. It's also doubtful Nadal's knee will hold until he's 32 like Fed.

He'll keep getting his +1s at Roland Garros for another 5 years at least, so its definitely possible, I wouldn't be surprised tbh.
Original post by Slumpy
I would almost widen that to fans who are overly partisan for(or particularly against) almost any team/player.

Nadals got the annoying girls, Feds got the history holders, Murray well his lot is just christ. Djokovic's come to think about are not too bad.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't understand why a lot of tennis fans are so partisan. By all means have your favourites but some people are just idiots who who are so invested in one player that they are blind to quality of others.
Reply 3087
Original post by Malevolent
Nadals got the annoying girls, Feds got the history holders, Murray well his lot is just christ. Djokovic's come to think about are not too bad.

As far as I can tell, there's less of them though.
Edit; that is, the volume of vocal Djok fans seems lower, so it's harder to get annoyed.

Original post by TheMagicRat
I don't understand why a lot of tennis fans are so partisan. By all means have your favourites but some people are just idiots who who are so invested in one player that they are blind to quality of others.

It's almost as bad as football. I just don't get it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Slumpy
Its fanboy-ism in general, one of the reasons I tend not to post too much in here or things like the F1 soc. One of the reasons I've always liked tennis is the respect for both camps you get in matches, something you don't get in say football. I'm a Rafa fan, since way before he was big, but I've always had plenty of other smaller players I've liked.

Original post by Rakas21
Nadal is going to be disadvantaged compared to Fed or the like simply because there are two hard court slams and its probably his weakest surface. I think when history looks at his record, the fact his career is going to be sandwiched between Djokovic and Federer will count for a fair bit as with the other two. I'd think Fed's record will be just out of touch, I can see another couple of French Open's but, not sure where the others are going to come from before 29-30 hits. He'd need another repeat of 2010 in there somewhere. I'd imagine Sampras will be eclipsed by Nadal, maybe even Djokovic.
Reply 3089
I'm a fan of tennis.
Reply 3090
Original post by TopHat
Yep. Why I've never liked Fedal as a whole, actually.

Fedal now has 29 slams.:wink:
Original post by RtGOAT
He'll keep getting his +1s at Roland Garros for another 5 years at least, so its definitely possible, I wouldn't be surprised tbh.

Nadal won today, but Djokovic is surely bound to break through at some stage in the future. He is a year younger than Rafa and so has 1 extra "prime" year, and we saw how close it got this year. So I'm still not too sure about him winning 5 more RG titles in a row. However, the Australian and Wimbledon titles in the more recent future are a possibility.

Now I'm very interested to see what he achieves in the 2nd half of the year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3092
Original post by Rakas21

Instead of winning Us open he could have a good shot at Wimbledon.
Original post by RtGOAT

If he's still playing in 5 years i'd be very surprised, he's effectively had to take the second half of 2009 and 2012 off already and he's not playing kinder on his knee and Djokovic is certainly superior on a hard court.

My bet is that Fed will retire in 2015 or perhaps 2016 and that Nadal will retire the season afterward despite the age difference. He has the FO in 2014 but we can't bet on 2015 and 2016 yet because at some point somebody will come along that can play on clay.

Original post by doggyfizzel
Its fanboy-ism in general, one of the reasons I tend not to post too much in here or things like the F1 soc. One of the reasons I've always liked tennis is the respect for both camps you get in matches, something you don't get in say football. I'm a Rafa fan, since way before he was big, but I've always had plenty of other smaller players I've liked.

Nadal is going to be disadvantaged compared to Fed or the like simply because there are two hard court slams and its probably his weakest surface. I think when history looks at his record, the fact his career is going to be sandwiched between Djokovic and Federer will count for a fair bit as with the other two. I'd think Fed's record will be just out of touch, I can see another couple of French Open's but, not sure where the others are going to come from before 29-30 hits. He'd need another repeat of 2010 in there somewhere. I'd imagine Sampras will be eclipsed by Nadal, maybe even Djokovic.

I agree, with Murray taking a step on hard courts as well i'm struggling to see him winning on another hard court grand slam.

I'd also add that despite my penchant for Federer i am a fan of the game as shown by my love for Nadal, Del Potro and interest in the young guns (Nikishori, Raonic, Tomic).
Original post by ubi1
Instead of winning Us open he could have a good shot at Wimbledon.

He's got a chance but been beaten by Djokovic in 2011 is not a good omen even if fit considering that Fed and Murray are better. The problem again though is that he's not playing until 32 like Fed. He's essentially going to run up short because the playing style that brought him so much success is killing his legs.
Reply 3095
Original post by Rakas21
He's got a chance but been beaten by Djokovic in 2011 is not a good omen even if fit considering that Fed and Murray are better. The problem again though is that he's not playing until 32 like Fed. He's essentially going to run up short because the playing style that brought him so much success is killing his legs.

But with a bit luck with the Draw. He Can escape it. Hopefully Murray to take out Delpo and Djokovic AND Nadal to take out Ferrer and Federer to make Nadal vs MuRRAY Wimbledon Final. Thats my prediction.:wink:
Original post by Rakas21

He was limping a little bit today, and his knee probably has bothered him. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but if he goes out relatively early in Wimbledon and then proceeds to withdraw from hard court tournaments, that would be a worrying sign.
He mentioned that in 2012 his knee was in a very bad state throughout RG, yet he looked much better than he did throughout this year. He could have still had a knee injury. Is the problem an annual, cyclical thing or what?
Original post by ubi1
But with a bit luck with the Draw. He Can escape it. Hopefully Murray to take out Delpo and Djokovic AND Nadal to take out Ferrer and Federer to make Nadal vs MuRRAY Wimbledon Final. Thats my prediction.:wink:

Wait for the draw - it will come out on Friday/Saturday and then we will see!
Original post by ubi1

Fair enough but he's not going to get the draw every Wimbledon so again i put it you that he's screwed when aiming for 18 and he's completely screwed if Fed steals one or two more.
Reply 3099
Original post by Rakas21
Fair enough but he's not going to get the draw every Wimbledon so again i put it you that he's screwed when aiming for 18 and he's completely screwed if Fed steals one or two more.

True, the last time Nadal won so easily at Roland Garros was back in 2010 when he won in 3 sets against Soderling. After that he was on a Rampage. Lets see if he can carry on with this form. Like it or not Nadal currently is the best player in the world.

Latest