The Student Room Group

British council graduate scheme 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grenneh
I have no idea about the language testing either, I wish it said somewhere on the application how we'd be tested!

I asked my interviewer about this and she said that at this stage she doesn't even know but she thinks it's likely to be online!
Reply 41
Original post by MaijaEliina
I asked my interviewer about this and she said that at this stage she doesn't even know but she thinks it's likely to be online!

I just had my phone interview...not pleasant. It was really tricky and the job spec didn't help me out that much. I asked the interviewer about the language testing too and she said it would be at the end of the month, and that we wouldn't hear about the results of the phone interview for another 2-3 weeks! x
Right guys there seems to be some sort of confusion here and so this is what I know.

1) the telephone interviewer told me we should be hearing back about the phone interviews by the end of this week. This would fit in with the BC site and the dates they give for the process. with the language testing being 3rd June

2) The language testing should be by phone (Im sure I read that on the BC site or in the job process, or they told me) It would make sense to me but maybe I have that wrong.

Guess we will see

Is anybody here going to Kenya or will I be all alone :-)
Reply 43
I got a call to confirm my languages, and apparently the language testing is done through a speaking test over the phone, and then a reading/comprehension test online. She also said we may have to wait until next week to know if we have got to this stage, with the language tests following at the end of the week.

I've decided i'm going to start re-learning my Chinese even though I have no idea if I got through.. I'm so rusty on my languages..probably just scraping a B1 level. :s

I kinda wish i'd applied to Kenya as well now, that would be awesome!
Good luck Loz :-)
Reply 45
Good luck to you all too! Someone post as soon as you get wind of language testing - i can't bear the wait either way!
Ha ha Loz... the excitement is all too much :-)

has anyone heard yet about the phone interviews, I know it was supposed to be this week but it is Monday 09.34 am, and that, in my book is this week :-)
I just had a call and I have language testing tomorrow! Has anyone else heard? It's a phone call and they aren't testing what you say as much as whether you can say it apparently. I'm pretty nervous as haven't spoken Spanish for years now, anyone else in the same boat??
Hiya Maija

I will be in the same boat as you (If I get the call) I made it clear at the start that my Spanish is weak and so opted to go to Kenya. My partner is Chilean and so I am learning Spanish everyday, but we shall see.

have you heard about your telephone interview results yet?

Good luck
Reply 49
I just received an email said I am successful at the telephone interview but the China program got cancelled this year…. But they can transfer me to another program, waiting for their confirmation…

I am still not really sure about what we can expect from this program. (if successful) will we be trained in the UK for a couple of weeks (or month) and then relocate to the country you applied for? How long will that be?
Original post by conswellie
I am still not really sure about what we can expect from this program. (if successful) will we be trained in the UK for a couple of weeks (or month) and then relocate to the country you applied for? How long will that be?

I've read somewhere that its a two year contract based abroad, there will be a couple of weeks of training in the UK from around September then we would be off. I'm also intrigued about what the final roles will be since they are created for the successful candidate.

My interview is at 12.30 so I'll let you know how it goes - at least its a scenario so you can plan a tiny bit on what you want to say etc. Also he guy I spoke to did say that its more of a technicality for those placements that don't require fluency and not to worry too much about it!
Reply 51
I just received an email said I am successful at the telephone interview but the China program got cancelled this year…. But they can transfer me to another program, waiting for their confirmation…

I'm in the same boat. I was applying for the China programme too, but now I've changed to Kenya. Where did you pick? Have you had your language testing? Mine is on Monday...
Reply 52
I just got the call too (had started to think I hadn't got through since you guys had been called yesterday). It's a bit of a pickle though, the only slots they had left were during my last uni exam or late at night the evening before the exam! Definitely going to start brushing up on my use of 'usted' and some other stuff that is more suitable for a business environment than what I normally say :/
Reply 53
Totally sucks about the China programme :frown: I picked India instead. It was a very random choice - similar to China in that its overpopulated and a developing country.. thats about it!! Good luck to everyone for the language tests!
Reply 54
Original post by jl09hlm
I'm in the same boat. I was applying for the China programme too, but now I've changed to Kenya. Where did you pick? Have you had your language testing? Mine is on Monday...

I transferred to the Greece program and my language test is today at 12:00...
so how was the language role play for you guys? reminded me of GCSE language testing!
Reply 56
Original post by urbansurf13
so how was the language role play for you guys? reminded me of GCSE language testing!

Mine went fine thanks, what language were you being tested for? Is it just the speaking test or do we have to do a reading/writing one too?
Original post by jl09hlm
Mine went fine thanks, what language were you being tested for? Is it just the speaking test or do we have to do a reading/writing one too?

spanish.. well, the info given about the grad scheme mentioned a reading/writing so i think it might be an additional stage. really not sure though
Reply 58
Original post by urbansurf13
spanish.. well, the info given about the grad scheme mentioned a reading/writing so i think it might be an additional stage. really not sure though

The interviewer told me there will be a reading/writing test. She said it might be online. And we will probably hear from them regarding the Speaking/Listening test result by the end of this week...

I have another questions: Do we have to have the work visa/eligible to work in the country we applied for? it says" We are only able to accept applications from individuals who currently have the right to work in the country to which they have applied" on the British council website. what does this mean?

My friend applied for the India program, does he has to have work visa for India??
Reply 59
The interviewer told me there will be a reading/writing test. She said it might be online. And we will probably hear from them regarding the Speaking/Listening test result by the end of this week...

I have another questions: Do we have to have the work visa/eligible to work in the country we applied for? it says" We are only able to accept applications from individuals who currently have the right to work in the country to which they have applied" on the British council website. what does this mean?

My friend applied for the India program, does he has to have work visa for India??

I asked the same question regarding the China programme, and apparently you need to be eligible to work in the UK, but that's all you need. You don't need a working visa for the country you are applying for.

Quick Reply

Latest