The Student Room Group

Graduate Scheme Confusion

Hi everyone! I've found myself in an odd situation. I'm either graduating in July or December (not sure when yet) and so I'm not sure when to next attempt to get places on graduate schemes. I have good grades (predicted to graduate 2:1) and I have done various internships and courses online. So I'm not sure why I keep getting rejected from various schemes and full time roles. If anyone has any tips in terms of timing for applications and applying in general because I seem to be missing something, I would appreciate it a lot! :smile:
Reply 1
Graduate schemes are tough to get into.
You'll be completing against thousands of applicants at times.
I'd tell you to apply for full time roles in the public sector such as NHS, civil service and council jobs. Less people applying and an increased possibility of you being successful
Reply 2
You need to review your past applications, at what stage did you fail. Numeracy tests, interviews, etc. Review where you failed and think where you could've improved. Chat GPT may help you form a killer CV or covering letter where necessary
Reply 3
Original post by emo94
You need to review your past applications, at what stage did you fail. Numeracy tests, interviews, etc. Review where you failed and think where you could've improved. Chat GPT may help you form a killer CV or covering letter where necessary

The one's I've applied to only considered CVs so I think maybe that's where I'm going wrong. Thank you for the suggestion!
Reply 4
If it's CV based, then my God you're in for a hell of a time. You've got to tailor your CV to each and every role. Chat GPT will be your best friend in that regards. Good luck mate.
As others have commented, the key to graduate schemes is to find out where you are going wrong in your applications, and improving it. You've stated that you're not getting past the CV upload part. Have you tried using free CV checkers online and improving it, so it stands out more? Does it use passive language or impactful language? Are your cover letters tailored to the description of the role? It's things like this that really make the difference.

You have a great predicted grade, PLUS experience... so there's no reason you shouldn't be progressing through your applications - you're a good candidate! Keep applying!

Quick Reply

Latest