The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by jojo1995
Thank you :smile: Yeah that's great advice, I definitely do that :smile:

Aww thanks, it was good news considering that I turned out to be unsuccessful for the interview (health visiting assistant the other day - even though i didnt perform to well :redface:)
Yeah I'll do that, Bank would probably be best also considering i'm new to HCA work.

also, does anyone know how long contracts last ? bank ones in particular please

Bank is great for experience all around the hospital! :smile: Definitely take the offer. At my hospital, there are bank shifts available EVERY day :lol: One of the negatives is that you don't get paid sick leave :tongue: But it is very flexible on the other hand.

As for contract lengths, it varies! Some are fixed term whilst others are permanent! I IMAGINE your bank role will be permanent though. :smile:

PS make FULL use of NHS discounts :tongue:
Reply 461
Original post by Revent
Bank is great for experience all around the hospital! :smile: Definitely take the offer. At my hospital, there are bank shifts available EVERY day :lol: One of the negatives is that you don't get paid sick leave :tongue: But it is very flexible on the other hand.

As for contract lengths, it varies! Some are fixed term whilst others are permanent! I IMAGINE your bank role will be permanent though. :smile:

PS make FULL use of NHS discounts :tongue:

Thank you for all of this :smile: ohh I hope my *to be* hospital has bank shifts every day :tongue: that'd be good!

NHS discounts? That's the first I've heard, what would I get a discount on ? Presctiptions? :redface:
Reply 462
Thank you for all of this :smile: ohh I hope my *to be* hospital has bank shifts every day :tongue: that'd be good!

NHS discounts? That's the first I've heard, what would I get a discount on ? Presctiptions? :redface:

Ask the bank if they have some shifts available for a longer period of time. For example, sometimes, people go on annual leave and you can replace them for a while! I'm on the staff bank, but I've been working in the radiology department since January! :lol:

NHS discounts are just perks and discounts on literally everything out there :tongue: Just check them out as you can get a lot of stuff cheaper than normal!
Reply 463
Original post by Revent
Ask the bank if they have some shifts available for a longer period of time. For example, sometimes, people go on annual leave and you can replace them for a while! I'm on the staff bank, but I've been working in the radiology department since January! :lol:

NHS discounts are just perks and discounts on literally everything out there :tongue: Just check them out as you can get a lot of stuff cheaper than normal!

Ooohh, I just googled it and yes i see what discounts you are talking about .... they look quite tasty :biggrin:

LOL that's a long time :tongue: probably someone on maternaty leave ... women these days seem to be poping them out constantly :smile:

I didn't think id be able to choose the department ... I think i'd like maxfax and then another one :smile:
Reply 464
Ooohh, I just googled it and yes i see what discounts you are talking about .... they look quite tasty :biggrin:

LOL that's a long time :tongue: probably someone on maternaty leave ... women these days seem to be poping them out constantly :smile:

I didn't think id be able to choose the department ... I think i'd like maxfax and then another one :smile:

It's just funny how it's worked out :tongue: Before, someone left, so I was replacing them until they found someone else to hire as permanent staff. So once they found someone, another staff member managed to break her arm :lol: So I kept on working in her place :rofl: Now her arm is fine, and another one goes on maternity leave :giggle: so I'm gonna be there until I start uni at the end of September! I think they like me as well, so I'm gonna tell them that if anyone goes on annual leave in Xmas, Easter or Summer, I'd be free to replace them during that period :grin:
Reply 465
Original post by Revent
It's just funny how it's worked out :tongue: Before, someone left, so I was replacing them until they found someone else to hire as permanent staff. So once they found someone, another staff member managed to break her arm :lol: So I kept on working in her place :rofl: Now her arm is fine, and another one goes on maternity leave :giggle: so I'm gonna be there until I start uni at the end of September! I think they like me as well, so I'm gonna tell them that if anyone goes on annual leave in Xmas, Easter or Summer, I'd be free to replace them during that period :grin:

Hmm this is interesting .... 3 coincidences in a row ... anyone one would think you helped the women 'manage' to break her arm :tongue: and I shan't comment on the lady on maternity leave :wink:

LOL

You really are getting a constant flow of cash into that account of yours ... Talking about money, do you know if bank hcas and full times ones get paid the same rate, only my pay will be £7.something an hour .... I dk if This is a fair wage .... But I think I get 15% hca ..
Reply 466
Hmm this is interesting .... 3 coincidences in a row ... anyone one would think you helped the women 'manage' to break her arm :tongue: and I shan't comment on the lady on maternity leave :wink:

LOL

You really are getting a constant flow of cash into that account of yours ... Talking about money, do you know if bank hcas and full times ones get paid the same rate, only my pay will be £7.something an hour .... I dk if This is a fair wage .... But I think I get 15% hca ..

hahahaha no comment :wink:

Well, before my bank job, I was working in a ward for 6 months as well so have plenty of experience :smile: But I spend LOADS because we just get paid so much :lol:

Bank staff, I THINK get paid more than normal staff, but I think that is because our annual leave pay is put into our wages, but I think someone else may want to confirm that!
Reply 467
Original post by Revent
hahahaha no comment :wink:

Well, before my bank job, I was working in a ward for 6 months as well so have plenty of experience :smile: But I spend LOADS because we just get paid so much :lol:

Bank staff, I THINK get paid more than normal staff, but I think that is because our annual leave pay is put into our wages, but I think someone else may want to confirm that!

Thank you for all your help :smile: and your hilarious stories :tongue:
You really are a funny one ... I'm sure you'll make a great doctor!
Reply 468
Thank you for all your help :smile: and your hilarious stories :tongue:
You really are a funny one ... I'm sure you'll make a great doctor!

No worries, anything to ask, just shoot :smile: I don't see what's so funny :lol:

But thanks :colondollar:
Reply 469
Hey, I recently got a job as a HCA in a teaching hospital. Not due to start yet for a few months as I haven't heard from them since they accepted me. Is okay to just do this job during the gap year?
Is it better to do academic things too? Any ideas?
Thanks.
Reply 470
Original post by Siani94
Hey, I recently got a job as a HCA in a teaching hospital. Not due to start yet for a few months as I haven't heard from them since they accepted me. Is okay to just do this job during the gap year?
Is it better to do academic things too? Any ideas?
Thanks.

Great opportunity :grin: Definitely take it! Academic is not really necessary :tongue:
Reply 471
Original post by Revent
Great opportunity :grin: Definitely take it! Academic is not really necessary :tongue:

Will do! Hope to get the grades this summer. Do you have any advice for me during the gap year or application etc?

Thanksx
Reply 472
Original post by Siani94
Will do! Hope to get the grades this summer. Do you have any advice for me during the gap year or application etc?

Thanksx

Get a good UKCAT score :smile: That gets the ball rolling :grin: Make sure you give yourself off as an all around person in your personal statement and make the most of your job!
Reply 473
Ok so last year my extracurricular was: 26 weeks in hospital, 1 week in physiotherapy, 1 day in surgery, cub leader (ongoing), 1 day at GSK

do you think i'd be ok just doing a placement in a Special Educational Needs School twice a week and a hospital once a week? not sure about travelling due to the money, I already have a job (waiter) and the care homes I emailed didn't respond :frown:

With the hospital, I'm friendly with the lady who organises the voluntary stuff and she found me the day in surgery last year, do you think doing more of these would be beneficial? (would probably do them out of interest anyway, loved the last one!) If that fails, my dad had heart surgery recently and the consultant said I could shadow him for a week possibly :biggrin:

So yeah, do you think this, if put across properly in my PS, will be strong enough?
any other tips?

thanks
Reply 474
Original post by mcollin1
Ok so last year my extracurricular was: 26 weeks in hospital, 1 week in physiotherapy, 1 day in surgery, cub leader (ongoing), 1 day at GSK

do you think i'd be ok just doing a placement in a Special Educational Needs School twice a week and a hospital once a week? not sure about travelling due to the money, I already have a job (waiter) and the care homes I emailed didn't respond :frown:

With the hospital, I'm friendly with the lady who organises the voluntary stuff and she found me the day in surgery last year, do you think doing more of these would be beneficial? (would probably do them out of interest anyway, loved the last one!) If that fails, my dad had heart surgery recently and the consultant said I could shadow him for a week possibly :biggrin:

So yeah, do you think this, if put across properly in my PS, will be strong enough?
any other tips?

thanks

that all sounds great. I think taking a gap year, you have to show that you really put it to good use, made the most of it and had fun!

I think at an interview talking about your dad's heart surgury would be great (sorry to hear it had to have surgery though :frown: )... that could be abit of a story for you - if you are comfortable talking about it that is.

yeah defo try get some stuff with the hospital lady ... are there any jobs you've always wanted to try out ie healthcare assistant ... st johns ambulance volunteer (you get free tickets to concerts i hear :tongue: ) . your waiter job is great ... shows you can interact with people.

yeah i've got the smae problem with travelling ... i am a picky person and also money :redface:
But that special needs voluteering sounds good ... interesting ... how you deal with the differnet challenges you face day to day there ... sorry just brain storming :tongue:

Ace your UKCAT ,,,, prep over the summer ... and the other things should fall into place ... percue a hobby perhaps also ... i thinking of pottery - always wanted to do it :smile:
Reply 475

any other tips?

thanks

That's not extra-curricular :lol:

any other tips?

thanks

that is a LOT of work exp. :smile: Make sure you mention at least most of it, but please don't make it like a list of sentences devoted to each thing you did. You have to get across what you learned and how it changed your views and thoughts.
Original post by Revent
That's not extra-curricular :lol:

Talking of extra-circulars (or not, in his case) I have next to none...

I ran the debating society this year, and led a team for Model United Nations, but thats it. I go to fitness classes all the time? I'll be starting work as a HCA soon, so I won't really have much time on my hands, any suggestions?
Reply 478
Original post by ameelia22
Talking of extra-circulars (or not, in his case) I have next to none...

I ran the debating society this year, and led a team for Model United Nations, but thats it. I go to fitness classes all the time? I'll be starting work as a HCA soon, so I won't really have much time on my hands, any suggestions?

Do you have ANY hobbies at all? :lol: (Other than reading :wink: that's everyone's easy one out of EC's :lol: ) Anything you do for fun, gaming, music, TV, films, sports etc...Anything goes! :smile: Extra points if it's something that requires you to work in a team :smile:
Reply 479
Original post by Revent
Do you have ANY hobbies at all? :lol: (Other than reading :wink: that's everyone's easy one out of EC's :lol: ) Anything you do for fun, gaming, music, TV, films, sports etc...Anything goes! :smile: Extra points if it's something that requires you to work in a team :smile:

does going to the cinema count as extra cirriculum ... i watch it all - twilight, iron man .... do you think i could mention that, or would i sound silly... or are you talking about another type of film :redface:

ohh i watch tv loads too ... emmerdale hollyoaks you name it ... i do the odd david attenbourgh* but i prefer my soaps tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending