The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Didn't see what all the fuss was about, clearly the easiest exam for C3 :wink: I joke I joke
Original post by masryboy94
well if that is correct, then (hope im right) your in for an A* easily, so don't stress too much, lets just hope C4 is nice !

me too. I have 2 more exams before C4 so i'm fcked lol
Original post by MathsNerd1
Didn't see what all the fuss was about, clearly the easiest exam for C3 :wink: I joke I joke

Well done on your result. :smile: That paper definitely separated those of us who thought we were "good" at maths, from those who are actually GOOD at maths, haha.

Now, I need 8 ums in C4 for an A, but 95 ums for an A*. Ugh :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1

Hahaha on the student room for those kinda bold statements you always have to write that you're being sarcastic or else the population unleash their wrath
Original post by suncake
Well done on your result. :smile: That paper definitely separated those of us who thought we were "good" at maths, from those who are actually GOOD at maths, haha.

Now, I need 8 ums in C4 for an A, but 95 ums for an A*. Ugh :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm probably in the same situation as you for the grade stuff. Really hope C4 is much better!
Reply 3206
Just watch how Edexcel come out with 65 to get an A like they did with the s2 January paper...
did you guys do the other maths paper which also had to be replaced? (look here: http://www.edexcel.com/Aboutus/press-room/Pages/june13-gcemaths-replacepapers.aspx)

were they just as hard/weird as well?
Original post by nukethemaly
I'm probably in the same situation as you for the grade stuff. Really hope C4 is much better!

Yeah, doubt it will be though :redface: Do you need a * for a uni offer, or just personal sense of achievement? :tongue:

Personally, I don't think there's much point of calling for resits before we actually get our results. If the grade boundaries are adjusted accordingly, people might end up with better grades than they expected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3209
Original post by suncake
Yeah, doubt it will be though :redface: Do you need a * for a uni offer, or just personal sense of achievement? :tongue:

Personally, I don't think there's much point of calling for resits before we actually get our results. If the grade boundaries are adjusted accordingly, people might end up with better grades than they expected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope the grade boundaries will be adjusted in the right way but is that a risk everyones willing to take? We then have to wait until August to receive the results and then decide what to do. I think Edexcel should sort out there own mistakes tbh, thousands of students wouldnt be complaining if it was a normal paper
Original post by Ella_B1
I really hope the grade boundaries will be adjusted in the right way but is that a risk everyones willing to take? We then have to wait until August to receive the results and then decide what to do. I think Edexcel should sort out there own mistakes tbh, thousands of students wouldnt be complaining if it was a normal paper

When would the resit be done? In like, a few weeks time? During everyone's summer holiday? I would quite like a resit (or a time machine so I can go back and do the paper properly...) but logistically, how would it work?

Your use of 'normal' is interesting... Perhaps it's the fact that we all reckon 'normal' C3 papers should be easy, formulaic and straightforward. I agree that this one was a big shock because of the sheer amount of more difficult and unusual questions, hence why I joined in complaining with everyone. But I do think things had to change some time - there are so many past papers available that we just start learning rote answers and swapping numbers round. This is probably down to how we're taught in school too... If we were encouraged to think more laterally and creatively in maths more often, those questions wouldn't seem so scary and impossible. Some people have obviously still done really well on this paper, so it's difficult to argue that it was literally 'unfair'... Just very different to recent years.

I went off on a massive tangent there, sorry. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am actually wondering, should I just do all the solomon papers and forget about the actual past papers in anticipation of a very difficult C4 exam (following the rumour about a hard replacement paper)?

I've done all the edexcel past papers at one point in the past but I thought that if I repeat them again, I would be able to master the skills needed and I've gotten low 90s in most of them.

However, it seems that those papers might not be enough preparation. It's too close to the exam and I have three other exams in the same week, so if I do the solomon papers, I might not have time for anything else really...
Reply 3212
Original post by SuziieB
I am actually wondering, should I just do all the solomon papers and forget about the actual past papers in anticipation of a very difficult C4 exam (following the rumour about a hard replacement paper)?

I've done all the edexcel past papers at one point in the past but I thought that if I repeat them again, I would be able to master the skills needed and I've gotten low 90s in most of them.

However, it seems that those papers might not be enough preparation. It's too close to the exam and I have three other exams in the same week, so if I do the solomon papers, I might not have time for anything else really...

I was thinking the same thing.. I also have 3 other exams and have no time to be doing the edexcel and solomon papers... would really appreciate if they atleast warn us as to whether its the replacement paper. I really need the A! And with this C3 exam, it really looks like it's out the window.:frown:
What the **** was that?!
Whoever designed that monstrosity needs to be shot, run over, reversed over, and hung with their own entrails!
Reply 3214
Original post by Scienceisgood
What the **** was that?!
Whoever designed that monstrosity needs to be shot, run over, reversed over, and hung with their own entrails!

Loooooooooool. I second that.
Reply 3215
Just wondering, No matter how much they adjust the grade boundaries... you still need 90% each for C3 & C4 for an A*, right?

Ah im screwed. :frown:
Reply 3216
Original post by mightyscott
same, I worked hard and I think i did ok.. just an over reaction from those who didnt prepare as much as they should have

Thing is, I didn't think this paper was impossible, and it was surely doable. But the fact that it was so different completely screwed me over. I revised so much for this and to get a paper like that i had a massive panic attack as soon as i saw the first question.
It's not even about it being hard, it was just really unexpected and stressed me out so much I spent half the exam thinking about my life at a chicken shop as I was surely not getting my A*. Didn't even consider that they'd lower the boundaries. It's just.. I don't know if others get this but as soon as you can't do one question (That was the first question for me =.= ) it puts you off for the whole paper and you screw up nicely cause of the stress and pressure.

Sigh. Sorry for the blab.
(edited 10 years ago)
What I need to learn how to do is to just move on from a difficult question in the exam. I was just doing a solomon paper and I am ashamed to say that I actually spent 1 hour on one question. It was question 3.

I just feel like such a failure if I cannot completely answer a question, I literally cannot move on!
Reply 3218
=/ I know what you're talking about. Affects my performance and I cant really think straight... all I know is I'm going to run out of time. Couldn't think straight. Can only start thinking after my paper was taken away from me ==...
Reply 3219
Original post by RainieXD
Loooooooooool. I second that.

ME TOO

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending