The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1640
Original post by kevloui
Shouldn't be, rain should be able to hydrolyse it just fine :P

p-orbitals overlap to form pi bonds, creating electron clouds above and below the plane. All the bonds are the same and are therefore the same length.

hahaha true :smile:

correct

my turn
Reply 1641
hi guys do we need to know how to make tollens reagent? and if so...how is it done?

cheers
Reply 1642
Original post by otrivine
hahaha true :smile:

correct

my turn

Explain what it is meant by the Mobile Phase

Original post by mrmccarl
hi guys do we need to know how to make tollens reagent? and if so...how is it done?

cheers

Yes you do, Its made by reacting Silver Nitrate with Ammonia, with heat
Reply 1643
Original post by kevloui

thanks mate
Reply 1644
Original post by kevloui

Mobile phase is the phase in which the chromatography move
Just did Jan 2013 and got 56/60!! If only this result would happen on Wednesday then I'll be set!! :biggrin:
Reply 1646
Original post by MathsNerd1
Just did Jan 2013 and got 56/60!! If only this result would happen on Wednesday then I'll be set!! :biggrin:

I need 85/90 UMS so on that paper I'd need 60/60. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mus1995
I need 85/90 UMS so on that paper I'd need 60/60. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My god!! Best of luck with that and I need as high as possible to get my A grade and maybe the A* grade, so I'm going to just aim for 56+ and a hardish paper to make up for it :smile:
Reply 1648
Actually you don't need to know how to make tollen's reagent - it used to be on the old spec but now its not on this spec.
Reply 1649
Original post by MathsNerd1
My god!! Best of luck with that and I need as high as possible to get my A grade and maybe the A* grade, so I'm going to just aim for 56+ and a hardish paper to make up for it :smile:

I need 29/90 for an A. :P so if I miss the A* I can still fail the paper and get an A.

The coursework ****ed me over. 36/40 raw looking to be around 48/60 UMS. 4 raw marks for 12 UMS. Ridiculous. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
This may sound silly, but how do you actually draw Optical isomers of Chiral Carbons, i always seem to get the functional groups on the wrong sides, is there a general rule?
Original post by Mus1995
I need 29/90 for an A. :P so if I miss the A* I can still fail the paper and get an A.

The coursework ****ed me over. 36/40 raw looking to be around 48/60 UMS. 4 raw marks for 12 UMS. Ridiculous. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's just not fair! I need like a high A just to guarantee my A -.- This is getting back at me for getting a C last year and yeah I got the same coursework mark too :-/
Reply 1652
Heres a question for you all:

What conditions/reagents are required to prepare propylamine from 1-chloropropane? [2]

Suggest a possible disadvantage of using this method and state one possible way to avoid this. [2]

Suggest two reasons why water cannot be used as a solvent in this reaction. [2]
Reply 1653
Original post by thers

What conditions/reagents are required to prepare propylamine from 1-chloropropane? [2]

Suggest a possible disadvantage of using this method and state one possible way to avoid this. [2]

Excess NH3 and ethanol solvent. Heat under reflux.

The byproduct HCl/NH4+Cl- is acidic? So it needs to be neutralised with a base which you have, NH3? I dunno.

An ethanol solvent is used instead of water. Is it because it would interact with HCl? Dipoles etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1654
Original post by thers

1) Reagents= excess (conc) NH3 and ethanol as solvent, conditions= heat under reflux

2) can undergo further multiply nucleophilic substitution so does not give the desired product , a possible way to avoid this is to add excess NH3 to minimise further substitution

3) Because addition of water will result in hydrolysis and could split the propylamine/1-chloropropane into 2 monomers, h2o does not result in the amine forming , as no nitrogen is present in H2O
Reply 1655
Both right on first part
Second part otrivine is correct
Third part is because water can act as a nucleophile so hydrolysis could take place forming an unwanted alcohol. I was only supposed to put one reason, not two - my mistake.
Reply 1656
Original post by thers
Both right on first part
Second part otrivine is correct
Third part is because water can act as a nucleophile so hydrolysis could take place forming an unwanted alcohol. I was only supposed to put one reason, not two - my mistake.

So was I correct about the hydrolysis then?
Reply 1657
Original post by otrivine
So was I correct about the hydrolysis then?

Yes.

Describe a test to verify if a carboxylic acid is present in a mixture of alcohols, phenols and carboxylic acids. [3]
Reply 1658
Original post by thers
Yes.

Describe a test to verify if a carboxylic acid is present in a mixture of alcohols, phenols and carboxylic acids. [3]

add na2co3

should produce a gas.

so fizzing should be seen within the reaction.
Reply 1659
Original post by thers
Yes.

adding Na2co3, and what happens in this process the OH ---> O-Na+ , and you co2 and water is released, observation = fizzing

Latest

Trending

Trending