The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4460
Does anyone have the solomon papers on them? I don't understand question 7c from E and question 3b from L - would really appreciate help on how to do them, think they're tricky!
Original post by Mathletic
Would you consider that to be a harder integrand? It doesnt seem clear that thats how ts is done.

I think it would be pretty standard, though I'm not 100% sure about that.

You could also easily integrate it using a substitution like u=x+1, btw.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4462
Original post by Mathletic
Would you consider that to be a harder integrand? It doesnt seem clear that thats how ts is done.

Personally that seems a bit of a weird method to me (well, perfectly valid, but a bit harder to spot). I would just go for algebraic long division.
Original post by justinawe
xx+1\dfrac{x}{x+1}

=x+11x+1= \dfrac{x+1-1}{x+1}

=x+1x+11x+1= \dfrac{x+1}{x+1} - \dfrac{1}{x+1}

=11x+1= 1 - \dfrac{1}{x+1}

xx+1 dx=(11x+1)dx=xln(x+1)+C\therefore \displaystyle \int \dfrac{x}{x+1} \ dx = \int \left( 1 - \dfrac{1}{x+1} \right) dx = x - \ln (x+1) + C

That partial fractions/division method is beautiful. I have no idea why we don't get taught it that way, it's so much faster than long division!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4464
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wndms
Can anyone please help me with this c4?
Fir part c) I know you have to equate dy/dx to 0. But then what do you do after? The answer is supposed to be (pi,-1). I don't understand .. thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

what paper is this from?
Original post by jokersaurus
I have no idea how to answer any vector questions but I should be okay at getting 70 UMS+ as long as they only ask 1 vector question. Have any past papers asked more than 1 vector question?

Yes only one question per paper...but i have to tell you that vector questions based on many marks...for example last year was 14 marks...!!so you have to study them...:redface:
Reply 4467
Does anyone have a really straight forward method of integration by substitution? Really panicking for tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Econ1994
Does anyone have the solomon papers on them? I don't understand question 7c from E and question 3b from L - would really appreciate help on how to do them, think they're tricky!

For 3b, think of the formulae for sin(a+b).

Sin(3x+x) = sin3xcosx + cos3xsinx
Sin(3x-x) = sin3xcosx - cos3xsinx

so sin(3x+x) + sin(3x-x) = 2sin3xcosx

Hence 1/2(sin4x +sin2x) is what you integrate. A similar method can be used on other questions with the formula for cos(a+b) as well :smile:.
Good luck everyone! (: Hope this one is millions of times better than C3. No words can describe how awful C3 was, so let's hope for a nice(r) C4!
Original post by jokersaurus
I have no idea how to answer any vector questions but I should be okay at getting 70 UMS+ as long as they only ask 1 vector question. Have any past papers asked more than 1 vector question?

june 2012
One thing I struggle with is vectors and finding the shortest distance, for example part d of this:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371482624.331712.jpg

Any help appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aikta_S
Does anyone have a really straight forward method of integration by substitution? Really panicking for tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think of it in steps: (1) Let u=a function of x (or whatever the letters are). (2) Differentiate to find dx. (3) Sub in u where appropriate and replace the dx with whatever you found after differentiating u. (4) If there are limits, find out what values of u correspond to the values of x and replace them on the integral. Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by suncake
That partial fractions/division method is beautiful. I have no idea why we don't get taught it that way, it's so much faster than long division!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never really bother with long division, unless it's absolutely necessary. There will almost always be an alternative method anyway. Synthetic division is a lot faster and easier for me.
Original post by SortYourLife
One thing I struggle with is vectors and finding the shortest distance, for example part d of this:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371482624.331712.jpg

Any help appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The shortest distance will always be the line drawn that's perpendicular between the 2 lines. This means the dot product will be 0. Draw it out - sometimes you can use triangle theorems, like when a right-angled triangle is formed :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zaphod77
The shortest distance will always be the line drawn that's perpendicular between the 2 lines. This means the dot product will be 0. Draw it out - sometimes you can use triangle theorems a right-angled triangle is formed :smile:

Ah right cheers :smile: will have a go it now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fayled
How can you give up revising if you never started?

Ok ive done 2 past papers, and couldnt do any of them even with text book, exam soultions tutorials mark schems
so i give up
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4477
6. A circular cylinder has a perpendicular height equal to the radius of the base r cm.
Given that the volume of this cylinder is V cm^3

(a) show that V = (pi)r^3
Reply 4478
Original post by Zzzyax
6. A circular cylinder has a perpendicular height equal to the radius of the base r cm.
Given that the volume of this cylinder is V cm^3

(a) show that V = (pi)r^3

V=pir^2h

h=r

so V=pir^3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending