The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Bring on vectorgeddon :colone:
Has anyone come across an integration by inspection on past papers? (Chapter 6E)
Reply 4502
Original post by justinawe
You can do it either way.

you can?????????????????? does it work for every type of solution????
Anyone know any hard vector questions. Also, for vector questions, when are we allowed to let x and y equal certain value? much appreciated :smile:
Reply 4504
Original post by Zaphod77
No. You can only use the ln rule when the top of the fraction is the differential of the bottom, or a scalar multiple of it. u is not a scalar as it is not a number, it is a function. To integrate that you'd need to use long division or the methods mentioned earlier to separate it into stuff you can integrate :smile:

Oh right.. So you wouldnt be able to split it like u/4 + u/u ?
You don't need to divide through for equal powers of x.

The only difference here would be that, instead of splitting it into:

A2x+1+B2x1\dfrac{A}{2x+1} + \dfrac{B}{2x-1}

You'd split it into:

A2x+1+B2x1+C(2x+1)(2x1)\dfrac{A}{2x+1} + \dfrac{B}{2x-1} + \dfrac{C}{(2x+1)(2x-1)}

Ah, I was never taught that, thank you :smile: I think I'll stick to dividing though, just because that's what I've always done!
How do you integrate 2^x
Original post by Story
Oh right.. So you wouldnt be able to split it like u/4 + u/u ?

If it was (u+4)/u then you could split it into u/u + 4/u, but you can't split the denominator up like that - think when you add fractions, you can't add them unless the denominator is the same :smile:
Reply 4509
Original post by Kreayshawn
what paper is this from?

Differentiation solomon worksheet F
Its not a solomon paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck in the C4 exam tomorrow guys, I hope you all have been revising S2 :wink:
Reply 4511
Original post by Zaphod77
If it was (u+4)/u then you could split it into u/u + 4/u, but you can't split the denominator up like that - think when you add fractions, you can't add them unless the denominator is the same :smile:

Thank you! I still dont understand how you would split u/u+4 I tried doing (u+4) (something) = U ....

Is the something -4?...How would you form it into a fraction then?

By the way this is for the question integrate 1/4+root x+1 .. where u = root x+1.

I just get confused a little with some substitution q's.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by subturfuge
Good luck in the C4 exam tomorrow guys, I hope you all have been revising S2 :wink:

I took a good look at FP3 instead :wink:
Original post by Ender'sgame
How do you integrate 2^x

I'm assuming you know that y=2x  dydx=2xln2y = 2^x \ \Rightarrow \ \dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2^x \ln 2

So,

2x dx\displaystyle \int 2^x \ dx

=1ln22xln2 dx= \displaystyle \frac{1}{\ln 2} \int 2^x \ln 2 \ dx

=2xln2+C= \dfrac{2^x}{ \ln 2} + C
Original post by Story
Thank you! I still dont understand how you would split u/u+4 I tried doing (u+4) (something) = U ....

U/(U+4) = (U-4+4)/(U+4) does this help now?
I'm assuming you know that y=2x  dydx=2xln2y = 2^x \ \Rightarrow \ \dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2^x \ln 2

So,

Thank you.
Original post by Story

By the way this is for the question integrate 1/4+root x+1 .. where u = root x+1.

I just get confused a little with some substitution q's.

Ok, there are 2 methods you could use. 1 is that you make the top u+4-4, so then you could split the fractions into (u+4)/(u+4) - 4/(u+4), which you can then integrate, as the first fraction simplifies down to equal 1. The other method is dividing u by u+4, which gives you a whole number and a remainder which you can then integrate :smile:
Hey guys!

Can someone help me with Edexcel C4 review exercise question 74 (c)? I don't get why we have to integrate from 0.5 to 2....Thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 4518

So,

am I right I thinking when you differentiate you multiply by ln(2) and when you integrate you divide by ln(2)
Reply 4519
Original post by MathsNerd1
U/(U+4) = (U-4+4)/(U+4) does this help now?

Yes, but how would it split all the way?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending