The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RtGOAT
I love Wimbledon but I hate that everyone suddenly decided to play tennis in these two weeks.

For 50 weeks of the year I can turn up and play whenever I want yet today the court was busy.

I have no problem with that. If watching it inspires them to play a bit then great. I imagine in a lot of cases it is a fleeting interest but some will continue to play which is good.

I don't like people who only watch Wimbledon and then when you talk to them they think they're an expert on the game. I watch the game all year round and I'm far from an expert, unlike some people here :rolleyes:
Reply 3881
Original post by Roger1
Well he should have played Halle then and he has won Wimbledon without playing a warm up tournament prior. I know it's getting harder for him with his injuries and age, but he did overplay, don't you think? Did he really have to go to Indian Wells and win Barcelona for the umpteenth time?

He couldn't play Halle as had played too many matches already Nadals played the most matches this year. And he had to play Indian wells to test his knees and Barcelona to defend his points.
Reply 3882
Original post by TheMagicRat
Says the person who, in another thread, said Federer lost at the Olympics because he wasn't fit and healthy. Where was that lack of health at Wimbledon, I wonder.

When was the last time Federer lost on grass, his best surface in straight sets in a BO5? 2002 wimbledon 1st round, when he was nowhere near the Federer we know.
Reply 3883
I have no problem with that. If watching it inspires them to play a bit then great. I imagine in a lot of cases it is a fleeting interest but some will continue to play which is good.

I don't like people who only watch Wimbledon and then when you talk to them they think they're an expert on the game. I watch the game all year round and I'm far from an expert, unlike some people here :rolleyes:

Yeah if they stuck around it'd be great, we'd probably get more courts if there was year round demand. But as it is it is just a fleeting interest for most.

Totally agree with the second part.
Reply 3884
Original post by ubi1
He couldn't play Halle as had played too many matches already Nadals played the most matches this year. And he had to play Indian wells to test his knees and Barcelona to defend his points.

Well it was a dumb scheduling by him and his team. Perhaps next year, he should be more cautious.
Reply 3885
I want to marry Laura Robson :smile: She's a babe!
Original post by Roger1
When was the last time Federer lost on grass, his best surface in straight sets in a BO5? 2002 wimbledon 1st round, when he was nowhere near the Federer we know.

Original post by Roger1
Stop making excuses and just admit for once that Rafa Roger got outplayed.

Corrected that post by you from 20 minutes ago.
Reply 3887
Original post by gman10
I want to marry Laura Robson :smile: She's a babe!

Not as hot as Caroline Wozniacki.:tongue:
Reply 3888
Why the hell do they continue to show Heir Hunters and Flog It etc. on BBC2 during The Championships?
Obson the giant slayer strikes again. She played really well and near the end of the 1st set and the first half of the second she played in terms of the matches I've watched of hers some of her best tennis. I think if she can maintain this form she could get to the 4th round where she would then probably run into Kerber (unless Sands causes an upset) and that would be a tough match but pretty winnable.

Happy that Tomic won:smile:

Amen to this. Seasonal experts are the worst!
Reply 3891
Original post by Roger1
Not as hot as Caroline Wozniacki.:tongue:

mmmm :hitit: haha :P
Reply 3892
Original post by RtGOAT
Why the hell do they continue to show Heir Hunters and Flog It etc. on BBC2 during The Championships?

They show the rest of the tennis on the red button.
Reply 3893
"If Del Potro wins Wimbledon would there be a "Big Five" in tennis and would he be considered greater than Andy Murray?"
Original post by ubi1
"If Del Potro wins Wimbledon would there be a "Big Five" in tennis and would he be considered greater than Andy Murray?"

With Nadal and Federer not going to last more than a couple of years it's more likely that Del Potro would form the big 3.
Reply 3895
Original post by ubi1

Nope. He hasn't won a masters title yet or been anywhere near as consistent. If he can get over his injuries and become more consistent he certainly could be considered greater.
Reply 3896
Original post by ubi1

He doesn't have the consistency in my opinion. The consistency of the big four is what puts them way above the rest in this and some previous generations.
Original post by notnek
He doesn't have the consistency in my opinion. The consistency of the big four is what puts them way above the rest in this and some previous generations.

i think the new guy dimitrov will come up after rf nd rafa are gone
Reply 3898
Original post by Prendah
Nope. He hasn't won a masters title yet or been anywhere near as consistent. If he can get over his injuries and become more consistent he certainly could be considered greater.

Perhaps winning another slam will give him the belief to win many other tournaments. Also Delpo is one of the best hard court players around sooner or later he will grab a masters its inevitable.
Original post by confusedsixthforme
i think the new guy dimitrov will come up after rf nd rafa are gone

Dimitrov has not passed R3 of a grand slam, the likes of Tomic and Gulbis are probably better bets at the moment.

Latest