The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meaty_man
Haha i dont and i haven't for 4 years now :tongue: I find it difficult to motivate too :\ My parents are about 5 hours away so its not like i can see them regular either.

That's a shame. I have really learned to appreciate the value of family in recent times and I'm closer to my parents than I have been in a long time.
Original post by kmcgowan13
I had my ESA a couple of years back, I found it hard, cried my eyes out, told her how angry I had Been towards others etc, she was nice....

She failed me! Said I wasn't upset or angry in the session (no need to get angry at her she was nice!)

I went fir the review which Is with a board of drs and within 5 mins they assessed I was unable to work!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear, is that good or bad that they said you are unable to work? Did they fire you like you feared or does this mean they will support you?
Yeah the disability team sadpanda123, they should be more than happy to help! You on DSA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avhhs
Oh no, massive good luck in finishing it :smile: :hugs:

Oh ok, yeah staying busy over the summer is difficult. I've isolated myself over the years and that has left me without a social life, so it won't be very easy at all when a lot of people will potentially be having the best summer of their lives partying and stuff before uni starts. I think I've got stuff I can get on with though :yep:. And I'll hopefully be going to uni :smile: just need to hope the results go my way :crossedf:

Why do I get the impression that this girl is ignoring me? :sad: She is someone I've known for years and has been good towards me, and in fact she said wanted to talk to me about how I was feeling when she thought things weren't going well for me. I told her what things were like for me and she was sympathetic :smile: that was like 2 months ago, but now she doesn't really seem to be in the mood to talk to me and doesn't really reply to my messages :erm:

She is probably as you said above one of those who are having the summer of their life before uni starts so she is rather up for some fun than serious talk with you? I don't know, could be a reason, at any rate, hope she does reply to you soon!
Reply 3204
Original post by catoswyn
Just for all those applying for ESA. The assessment will be done by ATOS. It is very important to understand the nature of the interview before you attend. Important points are:

1. They are not there to assess whether you are ill as such. The diagnosis of your illness is not part of the grading system. You could be dying of Cancer for instance but the only thing that matters in their system are the answers to a set of questions designed to analyse what you are able to actually do. So, the person with Cancer may fail the test because they can walk a certain distance, watch television or read a newspaper (used as proof of ability to concentrate) and make a meal (used as proof they can undertake a task) etc Each set of questions is graded to give 'points' and to get into the support group you need a certain number of points.

2. This being the case you should consider how to answer very carefully with a complete bias towards describing what you can and can't do. For example people with mental health conditions may be unable to prepare a hot meal because they would burn themselves.

3. ALL parts of the interview are part of the assessment, including any chat as you enter or leave the room. Questions such as' did you get here okay' or 'did you find the place alright' are actually used as part of the assessment. Obviously many people with mental health issues are taken to the centre by a nurse or relative as they are unable to find their way safely and cannot deal with strange situations..

4. Your ability to answer the questions calmly is also used as part of the assesment. Do not try to cover up any distress you are experiencing. They will be looking at your presentation/clothes as proof of an ability to present yourself to strangers appropriately etc
They are as daft as most of the population and expect that those with mental health problems will look a certain way. As my friend once said they are expecting egg on your tie!

6. You can find examples of the questions on line with people's experience of the assessment. Read this before going. They are not on your side however pleasant the assessment interview appears so you need to prepare yourself for the system as it stands.

7. A elderly woman failed the test because she was asked if she has difficulty using stairs and said 'no'. This was because she avoided all stairs and lived in a bungalow. She should have answered 'yes'. So remember to answer in relation to your worst scenario's; not in relation to the things you have sorted by avoiding them.

8. If you get into the support group consider choosing the job centre as your aid rather than any private company offered. This does depend on if your job centre is relatively nice though. Just compare the two before you commit.

Good luck,

:smile:

There's no point in me even considering applying then. I'm able to do most things relatively well.
Just for all those applying for ESA. The assessment will be done by ATOS. It is very important to understand the nature of the interview before you attend. Important points are:

1. They are not there to assess whether you are ill as such. The diagnosis of your illness is not part of the grading system. You could be dying of Cancer for instance but the only thing that matters in their system are the answers to a set of questions designed to analyse what you are able to actually do. So, the person with Cancer may fail the test because they can walk a certain distance, watch television or read a newspaper (used as proof of ability to concentrate) and make a meal (used as proof they can undertake a task) etc Each set of questions is graded to give 'points' and to get into the support group you need a certain number of points.

2. This being the case you should consider how to answer very carefully with a complete bias towards describing what you can and can't do. For example people with mental health conditions may be unable to prepare a hot meal because they would burn themselves.

3. ALL parts of the interview are part of the assessment, including any chat as you enter or leave the room. Questions such as' did you get here okay' or 'did you find the place alright' are actually used as part of the assessment. Obviously many people with mental health issues are taken to the centre by a nurse or relative as they are unable to find their way safely and cannot deal with strange situations..

4. Your ability to answer the questions calmly is also used as part of the assesment. Do not try to cover up any distress you are experiencing. They will be looking at your presentation/clothes as proof of an ability to present yourself to strangers appropriately etc
They are as daft as most of the population and expect that those with mental health problems will look a certain way. As my friend once said they are expecting egg on your tie!

6. You can find examples of the questions on line with people's experience of the assessment. Read this before going. They are not on your side however pleasant the assessment interview appears so you need to prepare yourself for the system as it stands.

7. A elderly woman failed the test because she was asked if she has difficulty using stairs and said 'no'. This was because she avoided all stairs and lived in a bungalow. She should have answered 'yes'. So remember to answer in relation to your worst scenario's; not in relation to the things you have sorted by avoiding them.

8. If you get into the support group consider choosing the job centre as your aid rather than any private company offered. This does depend on if your job centre is relatively nice though. Just compare the two before you commit.

Good luck,

Really helpful post, thanks. :smile:
Original post by avhhs
Oh no, massive good luck in finishing it :smile: :hugs:

Oh ok, yeah staying busy over the summer is difficult. I've isolated myself over the years and that has left me without a social life, so it won't be very easy at all when a lot of people will potentially be having the best summer of their lives partying and stuff before uni starts. I think I've got stuff I can get on with though :yep:. And I'll hopefully be going to uni :smile: just need to hope the results go my way :crossedf:

Why do I get the impression that this girl is ignoring me? :sad: She is someone I've known for years and has been good towards me, and in fact she said wanted to talk to me about how I was feeling when she thought things weren't going well for me. I told her what things were like for me and she was sympathetic :smile: that was like 2 months ago, but now she doesn't really seem to be in the mood to talk to me and doesn't really reply to my messages :erm:

I'm glad you have stuff panned, I'm just going to spend my summer volunteering so not that exciting. I bet you will get into uni :smile: and then next summer will be completely different. Good luck for results day, why is still so long away :rolleyes:

I agree with the other poster that she might be busy, to be honest I find people quite confusing, sorry I'm not helpful. hopefully she replys soon
Reply 3207
Original post by danny111
She is probably as you said above one of those who are having the summer of their life before uni starts so she is rather up for some fun than serious talk with you? I don't know, could be a reason, at any rate, hope she does reply to you soon!

I dunno. She does sometimes reply to how are you and stuff but trying to talk about anything else doesn't really yield a reply. She has told me that she only has 4 close friends, but that doesn't mean anything really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No occy health have said they feel I'm not ready yet and want to review in 4-6 weeks time! He was brilliant he said to me 'you need to get better so you are able to work, not get better to go back to work!' I feel very pressured into returning, the meeting on the 9th will be about redeployment and return to work plan yet I'm signed off until the end of July...

With that and my counselling I've had a good cry, although I've been positive all day, I seem a bit anxious tonight and feel low, then get a message off someone I fell out with years ago after my first bout of depression asking to reconnect, I have trouble trusting people after they've broken that trust, yet I'm telling her my life story anyway?! I want to scream at her but u know it's not constructive... And making amends my help me... Hmmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah the disability team sadpanda123, they should be more than happy to help! You on DSA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I have a part-time job so not sure if I'd qualify. I haven't directly contacted the disability team yet, do you think that I should?
Original post by HmMusic
There's no point in me even considering applying then. I'm able to do most things relatively well.

I'm sorry if I've put you off. You have to apply anyway if you want any money and if they do think you are well enough then you will just get put in the job seekers bit instead. However the point is how does your depression affect how well you can work?

Things to consider would be:

1. Do you feel unsafe or frightened or excessively emotional around strangers. Do you have difficulty communicating to new/strange people?.
2. Do you get easily exhausted. (Its like the old woman example I gave with the stairs. You might do lots of things well because you have adapted your life but if you were put into a full time work environment then things might be different., How do you think you would be in that environment? Describe that; rather than the life you live now when you can control things for yourself.more.)
3. Is your concentration good? Do you often find it hard to finish reading things for instance. Does it exhaust you? Imagine you were asked to work eight hours of concentration what state would you be in? That's the state you need to communicate not the one where you are at home for instance. So don't say 'yes I can do everything' if the only reason you can is because you are currently in a situation under your own control. Instead say 'no, I can't do that' if that would be true if you were in a different environment without choice or support.
4. How does your illness affect you physically? Do you have difficulty sleeping? Do you get dizzy or faint etc. Do you find you lack motivation and need to be encouraged to do things? Would you become dizzy and tired and disorientated at work?
5. If you were to be asked to go to work full time do you think it might worsen your illness and therefore put you at risk of becoming suicidal?

These are all valid points.

There are lots of ways to approach this and hopefully you will get support to fill in the forms and get to the meeting. Even IF you are turned down first off, most people then win on appeal when a doctor looks at the case so it is definitely worth applying.

(edited 10 years ago)
Dsa isn't to do with work are you at uni? It's based on your need in the setting so for me:
concentration and memory = dictaphone
Anxiety= exams in a room on my own, 25% extra time
Small allowances for missed lessons due to illness
Travel support if I'm to anxious to get the train...
Your income is not included you just fill in a DSA form from SFE and get a drs letter to say you suffer with xyz
See if it helps? Definitely contact your team though, it's much better to be honest and open and get support than struggle through!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't start uni until September and I've already met the disability team :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think ESA have loosened their beats slightly, just go inland say how you feel just be honest! If it comes back a no then you can dispute it, which as I said is far less terrifying than the assessment!

You'll be fine :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
No occy health have said they feel I'm not ready yet and want to review in 4-6 weeks time! He was brilliant he said to me 'you need to get better so you are able to work, not get better to go back to work!' I feel very pressured into returning, the meeting on the 9th will be about redeployment and return to work plan yet I'm signed off until the end of July...

With that and my counselling I've had a good cry, although I've been positive all day, I seem a bit anxious tonight and feel low, then get a message off someone I fell out with years ago after my first bout of depression asking to reconnect, I have trouble trusting people after they've broken that trust, yet I'm telling her my life story anyway?! I want to scream at her but u know it's not constructive... And making amends my help me... Hmmm

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sound like you are doing really well. I take it you like your job/course (????) and its good you're getting the right kind of support to get back to it. Your posts so remind me of me! I have children and got depressed after the birth of the third... bit downhill from there for a while to put it mildly. I also had a very stressful job so it was a bit of a nightmare. I went back to work too soon and that was a disaster so its good you're taking it a step at a time and considering a change of direction. In the end that's what I did and never regretted it.

I also lost touch with people. Sometimes that proved to be irreparable though. One thing about the experience was I learnt who my really good friends were. Wiped the rest out of my address book!!!

Anyway, good luck with everything.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kahinalouise
There should be an orange button next to the quote one saying edit Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
Thankyou :smile: it was ok i guess.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that sounds like a good trip overall then. :smile: hope you're feeling better today :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3217
I'm sorry if I've put you off. You have to apply anyway if you want any money and if they do think you are well enough then you will just get put in the job seekers bit instead. However the point is how does your depression affect how well you can work?

Things to consider would be:

1. Do you feel unsafe or frightened or excessively emotional around strangers. Do you have difficulty communicating to new/strange people?.
2. Do you get easily exhausted. (Its like the old woman example I gave with the stairs. You might do lots of things well because you have adapted your life but if you were put into a full time work environment then things might be different., How do you think you would be in that environment? Describe that; rather than the life you live now when you can control things for yourself.more.)
3. Is your concentration good? Do you often find it hard to finish reading things for instance. Does it exhaust you? Imagine you were asked to work eight hours of concentration what state would you be in? That's the state you need to communicate not the one where you are at home for instance. So don't say 'yes I can do everything' if the only reason you can is because you are currently in a situation under your own control. Instead say 'no, I can't do that' if that would be true if you were in a different environment without choice or support.
4. How does your illness affect you physically? Do you have difficulty sleeping? Do you get dizzy or faint etc. Do you find you lack motivation and need to be encouraged to do things? Would you become dizzy and tired and disorientated at work?
5. If you were to be asked to go to work full time do you think it might worsen your illness and therefore put you at risk of becoming suicidal?

These are all valid points.

There are lots of ways to approach this and hopefully you will get support to fill in the forms and get to the meeting. Even IF you are turned down first off, most people then win on appeal when a doctor looks at the case so it is definitely worth applying.

I will definitely have to wait until a long while after I have my child to apply. A lot of the things I feel have probably been pregnancy related, at least recently - getting out of breath, tiredness etc. Its not that I didn't have them before; I've had depression/anxiety for years. It's more that I have been pregnant for so long that I've almost forgotten what it was like before. I was signed off work several years ago due to anxiety and panic attacks, but I worked in a kitchen so it was a very stressful environment. Then I went to Uni locally where everything was better. I've been told I'm entitled to DSA for when I go back to Uni, which I never knew before. But that was before I knew about the pregnancy so I fully intended to do my 3rd year this year. Now I'm deferring entry to 2014 so I need to look into what benefits or financial help I can get in the year out not only as someone with a mental illness but also as a parent. I've been to Citizen's Advice and they didn't help as much as I hoped they would. I'm really none the wiser about any of it. No idea what I'm actually entitled to any more.
Got a crippling headache :frown:
At my sisters now in bed. Better sleep or i WILL cry.
Want my boyfriend. But have another day of painting tomorrow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3219
Lets just say that she did reply :smile: I only really needed to ask a couple of questions about tomorrow as she organised it. Now I'm in bed and got a boring day before the evening though, but I guess it'll be worth it and I'll be free afterwards :tongue:.

Need to work on my anxiety regarding watching tv though, the only thing I'm comfortable watching is Indian dramas and films :ninja: or cricket, other stuff on BBC or something I get really anxious watching in case something comes up that my parents don't approve of :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest