The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roger1
What a talent Gdolgopolov is! A shame that he hasn't been a top player so far, but there is certainly potential there for him to be a future GS winner.

Lol, no there isn't. This is just the way he plays. So eccentric and inconsistent. Like a better version of Dustin Brown. He's a poor Grand Slam player. On his day he can beat some of the best, but those days are few and far between, he loses to much weaker opposition more regularly.
It's better for Murray if Ferrer wins, he's the most likely to beat Djokovic
Original post by Sir Phillip Jones
Lol, no there isn't. This is just the way he plays. So eccentric and inconsistent. Like a better version of Dustin Brown. He's a poor Grand Slam player. On his day he can beat some of the best, but those days are few and far between, he loses to much weaker opposition more regularly.

I have to agree. You have to look at how lopsided the sets he have lost have been to see how erratic he is. An amazing array of shots, but often times crazy shot selection at really important points.
Chardy's serve was scintillating. Bit of a shame it had to be Djok who he was playing..
Original post by manchesterunited15

Del Potro plays Ferrer in the QF and he is probably the biggest threat in the draw to Djokovic and (though they've never played on grass) probably Murray.
Original post by manchesterunited15

Not sure about this. I actually think it's worse for Murray if Ferrer wins. Ferrer matches up well against del Potro, but has been owned completely by Djokovic in recent years. Ferrer going through means that he has a good chance of taking out the one guy (del Potro in QF) that could actually threaten Djokovic. Ferrer himself would have a very slim chance against Djokovic.
Original post by Rakas21
Del Potro plays Ferrer in the QF and he is probably the biggest threat in the draw to Djokovic and (though they've never played on grass) probably Murray.

Original post by Ashnard
Not sure about this. I actually think it's worse for Murray if Ferrer wins. Ferrer matches up well against del Potro, but has been owned completely by Djokovic in recent years. Ferrer going through means that he has a good chance of taking out the one guy (del Potro in QF) that could actually threaten Djokovic. Ferrer himself would have a very slim chance against Djokovic.

Yeah thinking about it you're probably both right
Krumm getting absolutely battered
Krumms stance, footwork and forehand is so unusual in today's game, you'd almost think she was from a different era ...
Original post by hskjlclcn
Krumms stance, footwork and forehand is so unusual in today's game, you'd almost think she was from a different era ...

I think it's fair to say anyone who was in grand slam semi-finals in the mid-90s is from a different era.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I think it's fair to say anyone who was in grand slam semi-finals in the mid-90s is from a different era.

Indeed! No shame to be thrashed by Williams, got more games then Errani did in the French I think.
Reply 4491
Lol at people thinking the way Djokovic played today means Murray has no chance. Jeremy Chardy is not Andy Murray!

Chardy is clueless against Novak. He hasn't even won a set against him in the 7 matches they've played. Murray on the other hand knows how to exploit Djokovics weaknesses. He is a better grass courter than Djokovic and certainly a much better player than Jeremy Chardy. I'm confident Murray will win should they meet in the final.
Reply 4492
Original post by Roger1
Because British fans and commentators especially over hype their players. The fact that I live in Britain I have to watch tennis on BBC or sky sports, which means I have to listen to biased British commentary about how great Murray or Robson are. They are great players, but nowhere near the best and probably never will be especially in Murray's case.

And your comment about how 'Erakovic wouldn't have stood a chance, had Robson been serving well and hitting her forehand like she can' just shows your arrogance and biased attitude. Erakovic has achieved more than Laura has so far in her career and Robson couldn't get close to her serve in the 1st set. The only reason Robson came through in the end was a result of Erakovic choking whilst serving for the match and double faulting, hence the reason why Robson was able to break her so many times in the 3rd set. When Erakovic only made 1 UE in the 1st set, Robson barely manged a game, so your comment is totally BS.

What are you doing in a tennis discussion? You are clearly clueless about tennis.

How exactly is Murray 'nowhere near the best'?
He is world no.2. I'd say that is pretty close.

You're probably just another butthurt hater.
Reply 4493
Original post by cammoo8
What are you doing in a tennis discussion? You are clearly clueless about tennis.

How exactly is Murray 'nowhere near the best'?
He is world no.2. I'd say that is pretty close.

You're probably just another butthurt hater.

What I meant to say was that when it's all said and done, Murray won't be considered among the greatest of all time. Federer and Nadal obviously are already part of that group and Djokovic will also probably get there, but in Murray's case, there is no hope.

And I'm not "another butthurt hater." I'm just sick and tired of hearing about Murray in like every match from the biased British commentators. He doesn't deserve the amount of attention that he gets, especially if you look at his achievements, which differ a lot in contrast with the greats of the sport.
Reply 4494
Original post by cammoo8
Lol at people thinking the way Djokovic played today means Murray has no chance. Jeremy Chardy is not Andy Murray!

Chardy is clueless against Novak. He hasn't even won a set against him in the 7 matches they've played. Murray on the other hand knows how to exploit Djokovics weaknesses. He is a better grass courter than Djokovic and certainly a much better player than Jeremy Chardy. I'm confident Murray will win should they meet in the final.

Chardy has beaten Murray before.
Original post by Roger1
Chardy has beaten Murray before.

So

Upsets happen - you wouldn't say rosol darcis and soderling are better than nadal would you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roger1
What I meant to say was that when it's all said and done, Murray won't be considered among the greatest of all time. Federer and Nadal obviously are already part of that group and Djokovic will also probably get there, but in Murray's case, there is no hope.

And I'm not "another butthurt hater." I'm just sick and tired of hearing about Murray in like every match from the biased British commentators. He doesn't deserve the amount of attention that he gets, especially if you look at his achievements, which differ a lot in contrast with the greats of the sport.

That's not his or his fans' fault

You can't write Murray off like that

He won't be considered the best of the best but he's still up there considering he seems likely to win a few slams and has won the olympics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4497
Original post by TH3-FL45H

He won't be considered the best of the best but he's still up there considering he seems likely to win a few slams and has won the olympics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Continuous fanboyism and biaseness puts people off. This is the reason why I dislike English football team, the lofty expectations before every tournament, even though they always end up disappointing.

And Murray is 26 years old and has won just 1 slam. He is likely to only win like 3-4 more and even that depends on his opponents, so he will probably be up there in the eyes of British people, but not amongst the non-British fans/commentators.
Original post by TH3-FL45H

Posted from TSR Mobile

Djokovic will probably end up similar to Aggasi, Murray will be somewhere between Hewitt and Agassi. To suggest that either two are on the same level as Fed, Nadal or Sampras is blasphemy.
Original post by Roger1
Continuous fanboyism and biaseness puts people off. This is the reason why I dislike English football team, the lofty expectations before every tournament, even though they always end up disappointing.

And Murray is 26 years old and has won just 1 slam. He is likely to only win like 3-4 more and even that depends on his opponents, so he will probably be up there in the eyes of British people, but not amongst the non-British fans/commentators.

So why don't you hate on the british people? Is it Murrays fault that they hype him so much?

Latest