The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

1st year resit - edinburgh

Can anyone tell me if it is compulsory to resit an exam in august that has been failed at the first attempt? It's an outside course and I know I'm going to fail. Have passed my other two subjects. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by meganm94
Can anyone tell me if it is compulsory to resit an exam in august that has been failed at the first attempt? It's an outside course and I know I'm going to fail. Have passed my other two subjects. Thanks :smile:

You need to pass 120 Credits worth of courses every year. So if your outside course was making up part of that workload, you'll need to complete those credits. Usually, that would mean resitting the exam in August. However, it might be possible to sit another course in your second year to make up the credits from first year. That's something you'll need to discuss with your director of studies once you have your marks.

But, since you don't have your marks yet, don't assume you've failed! If you don't know your results yet, you don't know for sure that you've failed.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by NeoNerd
You need to pass 120 Credits worth of courses every year. So if your outside course was making up part of that workload, you'll need to complete those credits. Usually, that would mean resitting the exam in August. However, it might be possible to sit another course in your second year to make up the credits from first year. That's something you'll need to discuss with your director of studies once you have your marks.

But, since you don't have your marks yet, don't assume you've failed! If you don't know your results yet, you don't know for sure that you've failed.

Hey i have the same exact problem and I am soo worried about failing the resit too when i asked the student office told me. "I am sure you will do fine in your resit! However, if you do fail you would have to speak to Undergraduate Director, about carrying 40 credits into Year 2."

So it doesn't sound as terrifying!

I thought they would kick me out. I didn't know that you can resit a year later too. What do you think will happen if I fail resits? My compulsory credits need 80 credits anyway, what would happen if I can't carry 40 credits to 2nd year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending