The Student Room Group

If you were a final year uni student would you choose A or B?

First read the background information:

I have to resit an exam in August, I can resit this exam uncapped because of my NEC so able to get any grade on it up to a high 1st instead of just a penalty 3rd. I'm also in my final year.

A. Would you resit the exam, start your graduate scheme a year late (2024), and potentially graduate with a 2.1 or 1st, and graduate in Winter?

B. Ask for a compensatory pass (which results in a low 3rd for that module) and maybe potentially risk the NEC decision, start the graduate scheme on time (2023), graduate in the summer along with the rest of the cohort, but graduate with a low 2.1/2.2?

Which would you choose and why?
Original post by yotsr123
First read the background information:

I have to resit an exam in August, I can resit this exam uncapped because of my NEC so able to get any grade on it up to a high 1st instead of just a penalty 3rd. I'm also in my final year.

A. Would you resit the exam, start your graduate scheme a year late (2024), and potentially graduate with a 2.1 or 1st, and graduate in Winter?

B. Ask for a compensatory pass (which results in a low 3rd for that module) and maybe potentially risk the NEC decision, start the graduate scheme on time (2023), graduate in the summer along with the rest of the cohort, but graduate with a low 2.1/2.2?

Which would you choose and why?

B - From my experience there are very few people who actually ask what your classification was and instead just specify you have a 'good degree' which is usually anything above a 3rd. However, if you can start the scheme a year late and getting a 1st is important to you then for sure go for that! It's such a tricky one as there are a lot of different factors in play here.

- Luke
Reply 2
Do you have an offer for a graduate scheme? Will they let you postpone?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
Do you have an offer for a graduate scheme? Will they let you postpone?

yes i've got an offer and they'll let me postpone.
Reply 4
Original post by yotsr123
yes i've got an offer and they'll let me postpone.

That’s great news! Any reason they won’t let you start pending your final results or start in January 2024? I think one of those options is the norm in such situations but this can vary a lot by employer.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
That’s great news! Any reason they won’t let you start pending your final results or start in January 2024? I think one of those options is the norm in such situations but this can vary a lot by employer.

i am about to find that out today :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000

their reasoning is i have to do a masters on top of the grad scheme so i can't start this september.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending