The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ultimate1
You clearly haven't seen the final. It was decent like I said Gonzalez has pretty much on a hot streak which he carried to the final but Federer's level was insane.

You probably just looked Federer winning in 3 and thought it was a boring final or something. Not saying it was out of this world or anything but was definitely watchable.

Definitely more watchable than Murray getting spanked at US0 '08, AO '10 and AO '11 all in straights.

USO '08 had some pretty good tennis I think (mainly from Rog), even if it was one-sided.
Original post by ubi1
Fed actually said few times he would like to play in 2016 olympics and in wimby press conference he said hes got plans to play for many m0re years.

Yh I know he's stated his Rio intentions many times but if these bad results become the norm I don't think it'll be worth it to continue till Rio just to get beaten by a random guy in the draw as well as possibly tarnishing his legacy.
Original post by Krish4791
USO '08 had some pretty good tennis I think (mainly from Rog), even if it was one-sided.

Tbh AO '10 was OK as well :tongue:.

Fed had some very good moments at both USO 08 and Ao 10.
But you forget that Federer literally ****s his pants whenever he sees Nadal :lol:.

I think Nadal showed incredible fight and resilience to come back into that final. I think at most Federer would have won a set had they met then.

lol :smile: Damn Fed - why he gets so scared, I'll never know. We've seen him play devastatingly well against RN on a good day, just failed to do so in the slams since 2007. Mental block gone too far. Indian Wells 2012 SF was tactically speaking the best match I ever saw from him against Rafa.
lol :smile: Damn Fed - why he gets so scared, I'll never know. We've seen him play devastatingly well against RN on a good day, just failed to do so in the slams since 2007. Mental block gone too far. Indian Wells 2012 SF was tactically speaking the best match I ever saw from him against Rafa.

Yep that IW 12 match by Federer was a great tactical masterpiece.

WTF 11 as well wheb Federer literally destroyed Nadal.

they also had a great match at AO 12, just a shane Federee couldn't hold his nerve on the crucial points there.

I think ever since Rome 06 where Federer squandered match points against him he is always haunted by Nadal.
For me, the best case scenario for Federer's remaining career would be for him to launch a final push just for the two remaining majors that he has a chance of winning (USO 2013 and Wimbledon 2014), and for him to win one of them and then retire on a high a la Sampras USO 2002. It

What I really don't want him to do is to labour on for the next 3/4 years, continue to drop down in the rankings, and continue to lose habitually to mugs of the Stakhovsky ilk. His game isn't getting any prettier as he gets older, too.
Reply 6666
2010 I agree, no chance. But 2011 - tougher to call. Fed was literally on the brink of beating Djok and played really well, whilst Djok could have actually straight-setted Rafa in the final (he was a break up 3 times in that 3rd set).

First 2 sets didnt even go more than 10 games and the match was 4 hours long if Rafa had faced Federer Probably would have been a 5 seter with Nadal slowing it down and winning in the end.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ashnard
For me, the best case scenario for Federer's remaining career would be for him to launch a final push just for the two remaining majors that he has a chance of winning (USO 2013 and Wimbledon 2014), and for him to win one of them and then retire on a high a la Sampras USO 2002. It

What I really don't want him to do is to labour on for the next 3/4 years, continue to drop down in the rankings, and continue to lose habitually to mugs of the Stakhovsky ilk. His game isn't getting any prettier as he gets older, too.

As much as I fear it I think his final push may just have beeb the late 2011- mid 2012 spurt he had to get that one final crack at the no.1 record which he thankfully accomplished.

I hope I'm proven wrong though.
As much as I fear it I think his final push may just have beeb the late 2011- mid 2012 spurt he had to get that one final crack at the no.1 record which he thankfully accomplished.

I hope I'm proven wrong though.

Yeah. If his 2013 form now represents his actual limitations (and this is not just a temporary blip) then he has no chance at #18. I cannot tell at the moment whether that is the actual case or if he still has another gear that he can go to. A string of bad results have often served as a good kick-up-the-arse for him to start playing well again (just look at USO 2011 SF and onwards).
Federer's level has decreased considerably since his peak years between 04-07. Fortunate for him, Hewitt was washed up by his early twenties, Roddick's game was one dimensional and Safin was hugely inconsistent. Having said that, his level was so much greater than his opposition and looking back, the skill level he displayed was unbelievable. Can I see him winning another major? No, but he's got nothing left to prove now.
Original post by Ashnard
Yeah. If his 2013 form now represents his actual limitations (and this is not just a temporary blip) then he has no chance at #18. I cannot tell at the moment whether that is the actual case or if he still has another gear that he can go to. A string of bad results have often served as a good kick-up-the-arse for him to start playing well again (just look at USO 2011 SF and onwards).

Federer's age is well and truly against him now. He gets less power off his serve/forehand these days, he's a step slower and his movement has become suspect at times. He's nearly 32 now so it's going to be increasingly difficult for him to keep up with the likes of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and DelPo.
Original post by Ashnard
Geriatric: Tommy Haas (age 35) Baby: Grigor Dimitrov (Baby Fed) Pigeon: Berdych (Djokovic has a 13-2 winning record against him (ergo "pigeon"); Berd also sounds like "bird", hence the nickname Berd****).

Those statistics are impressive although not quite at 2011 level (although we probably shouldn't expect them to be as good, even if his level was hypothetically the same). He just doesn't quite have the consistency or the aura of invincibility that he had in that year. You say that is due to the increased quality of his opponents, but to me it just seemed like the general level of his performance dipped following AO 2012. In early-mid 2011 he consistently maintained unbelievably high-level performances across the GS and master tournaments. It feels like he is still able to reach them dizzying heights at times (e.g. Monte-Carlo final, Australian Open final) but not in continuous stretches of the ATP calendar as in 2011. More importantly, it's like he's not really in control of when he can hit this "Djokovic 2.0." level -- in RG 2012 F, Wimbledon 2012 SF, USO 2012 F, and Wimbledon 2013 final, which were very important matches of his career, he seems to have turned up flat. The quality of his opposition undoubtedly played a part in these matches, but in all of these losses he just didn't have that awesome level of power and penetration on his shots that (for me) characterised his 2011 run. He has also recently been posting losses to lower ranked opponents such as Dimitrov and Haas, who are they types of player that he wouldn't have dreamed of losing to on his 2011 run.

In my mind, I think of Djokovic as three different entities: Djokovic 1.0 (pre-2011), Djokovic 1.5, and Djokovic 2.0. This may sound simplistic, but for me it feels like he has been stuck as Djokovic 1.5 since the end of AO 2012, and only forays into the Djokovic 2.0 mode on occassions these days.

Right I see your logic there. My reasoning was that mur looks a bit like a pigeon.
Reply 6672
Original post by nothepreacher
Right I see your logic there. My reasoning was that mur looks a bit like a pigeon.

Murray is Nadals pigeon why because 13-5 H2H nd copies his celebration.:redface:
Reply 6673
Original post by shyamshah
Anyone think Tsonga will win a grand slam anytime soon?

Not unless he steps his game up with Djoc, Murray and Nadal hanging around.
One thing that was really unusual to see from a Novak perspective was the lack of depth he was getting on his ground strokes today. It meant Murray could (and did) push him around which is where he won the game.
Original post by kbountra
Federer's age is well and truly against him now. He gets less power off his serve/forehand these days, he's a step slower and his movement has become suspect at times. He's nearly 32 now so it's going to be increasingly difficult for him to keep up with the likes of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and DelPo.

Yeah, the list of people that can actually beat him consistently is getting longer and longer. First it was Nadal, then it was Djokovic/Murray, then it was Tsonga/Berdych, now it seems like every Tom-and-Dick-and-Harry has a chance. The probability of him winning any given GS is really know, although if the stars really align for him I suppose it would not be out of the question.

Original post by nothepreacher

:laugh:
Original post by ubi1
Murray is Nadals pigeon why because 13-5 H2H nd copies his celebration.:redface:

He did! Come on bring some orginality in your personality too.
Original post by Ashnard
Yeah, the list of people that can actually beat him consistently is getting longer and longer. First it was Nadal, then it was Djokovic/Murray, then it was Tsonga/Berdych, now it seems like every Tom-and-Dick-and-Harry has a chance. The probability of him winning any given GS is really know, although if the stars really align for him I suppose it would not be out of the question.

For all the ability of the others, Federer still has more artistry in his little finger than most players have in their entire body. On his day he could still beat any of them.

It just doesn't look like he's going to have too many days left.
Reply 6678
Federer at his best can still beat anyone but Nadal on clay. He just needs to channel his inner motivation and bring it more on the tennis courts and he can still have one big moment. But even if he doesn't win another major, who cares, he is still around entertaining millions around the globe and anything he wins now is just icing on the cake. He has done it all. He can retire now and I'm sure no one will hold any regrets.
Original post by Ashnard

Tbh Murray has always had a winning H2H with Federer but I agree the list of players is getting longer for Federer. It's amazing how Federer used to handle the ball bashers, he would dismantle them with ease now they're the worst players for Federer to play against lol.

The biggest decline for Federer imo has been the fact that he doesnt' and can't use the inside out forehand arugably his best shot in his prime. Of course the reason why he can't is because he's lost just half a step and it's had an enormous impact. Was watching a few Federer matches from 05/06 and wow the difference between then and now is huge. Nowadays whenever he does hit the inside out it's usually a very tame shoy. I feel that he doesn't trust it at all anymore.

The most weird thing for me is how quickly Federer lost that half a step. I can trace it back to as early as mid-2007, all of a sudden he just became just a tiny step slower and that was when he was only 26.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest