The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by luno
Thank you! The only downside was I didn't really like the book haha... so I guess it's even more surprising (and rewarding) that I stuck with it!

That's impressive! :eek: If I don't like a book, I abandon it VERY quickly :colondollar:

I am not sure about what happened at Oxford... uber sorry especially since I know you have posted stuff about it in the past but a writing a novel is a good plan. I have a couple which I have started during rare moments of creativity but I never return to them because they tend to make me cry... me and my depressing and self-pitying prose :sigh:.

I really hope it is a cathartic experience and helps you in the long run! I shall also offer my average proof-reading skills in case you ever need it :hugs:.

Don't worry - I tend to be rather vague about what happened, depending on which part of the forum I'm in. I don't wanna put potential applicants off. Safe to say though that it was not a happy experience for me :no:

Awww about it making you cry :hugs: Tbh whilst I'm all enthusiastic about my novel plans now, I dunno how long that will last :erm:

Original post by PonchoKid
So my results officially go up at 2pm I think, and it will be in black and white on the computer that im a failure :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not a failure at all. You've fought long and hard in the face of difficult odds. And your course didn't sound Mickey Mouse at all, from what you've said about it. Not actually sure what the course is but anything involving a placement can't be that Mickey Mouse! :hugs:
So my results officially go up at 2pm I think, and it will be in black and white on the computer that im a failure :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you hate yourself so much where do you get the capacity to stay in a relationship with someone ?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm all enthusiastic about my novel plans now, I dunno how long that will last :erm:

That's quite a challenge! Good luck
Original post by Ladders
That's quite a challenge! Good luck

You're not a failure at all. You've fought long and hard in the face of difficult odds. And your course didn't sound Mickey Mouse at all, from what you've said about it. Not actually sure what the course is but anything involving a placement can't be that Mickey Mouse! :hugs:

Dunno, I shouldn't have even gone to uni! But I got pushed into it by a teacher I trusted so much, and look where it's got me!

Dunno I kept getting told it was a doss course because I was hardly in uni...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ladders
If you hate yourself so much where do you get the capacity to stay in a relationship with someone ?

Because he's amazing and o good to me. And if I end it everyone here will hunt me down :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4546
Because he's amazing and o good to me. And if I end it everyone here will hunt me down :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sometimes when depressed it is easy to dismiss everything you are successful at, or which is positive about yourself, your life or the world as a whole. Those types of negative thought pattern are very characteristic of depressive illnesses and even though they are damaging it can start to seem more comfortable to accept them than to challenge them. It seems to me from your recent posts that you are typing the same self-hating posts over and over, and not accepting anybody's responses. I don't mean this as a criticism against you, more as advice for battling the depressive thoughts. Typing and posting the negative thoughts could be reaffirming them and making it easier for depression to win.

I'm just heading out now, but have some more advice on this front - will post more when I'm back. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
It was amazing. I knew it'd be good but then it was even better than I ever expected it to be. I'm just feeling a bit delicate at the moment and I relate to Simon Pegg's character a little too much for comfort.

The scene where you find out why he's on his epic pub crawl broke me.

Ohhh I see! I shall take the tissues then, I suspect I may be a bit weepy at the end because I LOVE Pegg, Frost and Wainwright and their last film is a sad event.

Great stuff! Well done. You really should be pleased with yourself. I really struggle to read books, though I've built myself up a little summer reading list to help me with my writing process (have decided to write a novel based on what happened in Oxford. Partly coz it would sell well and I'd be loaded, partly because it would hopefully be cathartic) :yes:

I would totally read that (if you'd be ok with it)! I have wanted to write a book for years and years but I just have no creativity left. I haven't sat and read in years. It used to be all I did. :sad:
Original post by kiss_me_now9

I would totally read that (if you'd be ok with it)! I have wanted to write a book for years and years but I just have no creativity left. I haven't sat and read in years. It used to be all I did. :sad:

It's gonna take years to write coz the idea I have is quite complex and I'll have to go on creative writing courses, etc. But yeah, once it's finished (if it's ever finished!), I'd be happy for anyone and everyone here to read it :yes:

I can empathise: I used to be a real bookworm too. Not really sure where it disappeared to :sad:
Thought I'd be clever and leave a voicemail for the lady who I need to talk to about a job (really, I should have done it this morning). All went fine apart from at the end I signed off with 'OK, Bye. Look forward to hearing you soon. Bye. K. Bye.'

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Reply 4550
I am so ****
Reply 4551
I'm becoming increasingly bored now :sad:. I do go out by myself once every few days but I'd really love to go on holiday somewhere. But my parents are tied up with fasting for the next three weeks which means we are not going anywhere. I really want a change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avhhs
I'm becoming increasingly bored now :sad:. I do go out by myself once every few days but I'd really love to go on holiday somewhere. But my parents are tied up with fasting for the next three weeks which means we are not going anywhere. I really want a change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would they let you go away with a few friends for a weekend? Doesn't have to be far, if one of you can drive you could go camping or something.

When I can afford it (hopefully around the end of October) I want to go to Germany for a weekend :love: I'm not will to go anywhere else so I have to be patient!
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Ohhh I see! I shall take the tissues then, I suspect I may be a bit weepy at the end because I LOVE Pegg, Frost and Wainwright and their last film is a sad event.

Definitely take the tissues. I was almost a complete emotional wreck. And I have never in my life been so attracted to Simon Pegg. And I'm gay. I was just swooning throughout the entire film and today I am mostly wearing skinny black jeans and my doc martens. The film was just so good and tragic and heartbreaking. I'm taking my little sister to see if at the weekend too :biggrin:

I read for the first time in years yesterday! It's weird how the ability to read/write/do art just disappears for us.

Feeling a little better than I did this morning. Had a nap and I told my gf that I think I was in that kinda funk and now I'm getting extra care. I think she's just been thinking that I'm a bit of a bitch over the past couple of weeks because I've been snapping at everything :frown:
Can someone help, how do you pick yourself up from an incredibly low low? I just feel in such a heady smog and I see no way out....
Original post by asdfgah
Sometimes when depressed it is easy to dismiss everything you are successful at, or which is positive about yourself, your life or the world as a whole. Those types of negative thought pattern are very characteristic of depressive illnesses and even though they are damaging it can start to seem more comfortable to accept them than to challenge them. It seems to me from your recent posts that you are typing the same self-hating posts over and over, and not accepting anybody's responses. I don't mean this as a criticism against you, more as advice for battling the depressive thoughts. Typing and posting the negative thoughts could be reaffirming them and making it easier for depression to win.

I'm just heading out now, but have some more advice on this front - will post more when I'm back. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even understand my own feelings. So yeah I see where your coming from. I haven't learnt what is from the depression "voice" and what is real. Iv had no help with anything for well 6 months.
It's so ingrained in me though, that I genuinely think it's the tru when I say I'm a failure. Ever since primary school Iv been the fat failure, so I guess Iv taken that to be the truth. I was even put on the "stupid" table in year 6...

Hope your ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4556
I don't even understand my own feelings. So yeah I see where your coming from. I haven't learnt what is from the depression "voice" and what is real. Iv had no help with anything for well 6 months.
It's so ingrained in me though, that I genuinely think it's the tru when I say I'm a failure. Ever since primary school Iv been the fat failure, so I guess Iv taken that to be the truth. I was even put on the "stupid" table in year 6...

Hope your ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poncho though! The one thing I took from my therapist and therapy is that these things that people say are opinions not facts. They don't have any real basis to them and you can completely change them if you want to but it's if you want to change them or attempt to change them. Surely if you've had people talking down to you and saying you're a failure you'd want to prove them wrong even more instead of just accepting their opinion about you?
Original post by Deyesy
Poncho though! The one thing I took from my therapist and therapy is that these things that people say are opinions not facts. They don't have any real basis to them and you can completely change them if you want to but it's if you want to change them or attempt to change them. Surely if you've had people talking down to you and saying you're a failure you'd want to prove them wrong even more instead of just accepting their opinion about you?

I guess when your told something everyday for 15 odd years at school and at home, you kinda believe it.
It's what I'm hoping CBT will help with though I guess. But every time I fail academically or in other aspects of my life it just proves that I am actually a failure I guess. So I dunno if it's real or the depression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4558
Don't need luck, already failed, but the official result are out today. But it won't change my marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh sorry I didn't realise (I have missed a lot of the thread).

I personally think you're not a failure. I remember when you were posting about your work and how impossible it seemed and you managed to do it and I was amazed at your determination to carry on and get it done.

Failure can mean a lot of things but grades and marks don't reflect who you are as person. I understand that it must suck and I might be very hyprocticial because if our roles were reserved I probably wouldn't listen to what I was saying but you're definitely not a failure :jumphug:.

That's impressive! :eek: If I don't like a book, I abandon it VERY quickly :colondollar:

Don't worry - I tend to be rather vague about what happened, depending on which part of the forum I'm in. I don't wanna put potential applicants off. Safe to say though that it was not a happy experience for me :no:

Awww about it making you cry :hugs: Tbh whilst I'm all enthusiastic about my novel plans now, I dunno how long that will last :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha well there have been so many books in the past I didn't enjoy to begin with but ended up being amazing so I try not to abandoned books too early. I just ended up finishing the book in question because it wasn't too long :smile:.

Ah ok well I'm a PM away if there's anything you want to talk about. I applied and didn't get in. Definitely felt like an absolute failure for a while and it doesn't help that my family, well my brother, still refers to it! Sorry it wasn't a good experience for you :jumphug:.

I can completely understand but even if the enthusiasm fades (fingers crossed it doesn't!) the beauty of writing your own novel is being able to go back to it when you feel able to and taking your time with it! Good luck with it regardless... I'm sure in the future you'll be posting about how you've finished the novel :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)
I guess when your told something everyday for 15 odd years at school and at home, you kinda believe it.
It's what I'm hoping CBT will help with though I guess. But every time I fail academically or in other aspects of my life it just proves that I am actually a failure I guess. So I dunno if it's real or the depression.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Almost certainly the depression hun :sadnod:

Original post by luno

Haha well there have been so many books in the past I didn't enjoy to begin with but ended up being amazing so I try not to abandoned books too early. I just ended up finishing the book in question because it wasn't too long :smile:.

Ah ok well I'm a PM away if there's anything you want to talk about. I applied and didn't get in. Definitely felt like an absolute failure for a while and it doesn't help that my family, well my brother, still refers to it! Sorry it wasn't a good experience for you :jumphug:.

I can completely understand but even if the enthusiasm fades (fingers crossed it doesn't!) the beauty of writing your own novel is being able to go back to it when you feel able to and taking your time with it! Good luck with it regardless... I'm sure in the future you'll be posting about how you've finished the novel :smile:.

Cheers hun, appreciate the vote of confidence :hugs: And thanks for the PM offer too :smile:

Latest