The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Made it through the day! Feeling super successful. Managed to talk a few people into going up the climbing wall and had a go myself too. Pretty sure I broke every muscle I own though but worth it. Starting to worry that youth work is what I should be doing with my life and I've spent the past 6 years wasting my life on a computer science degree.

I'm just hoping I have the energy to survive the residential next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tasha96
Can't stop crying long enough to do the work I need to get done. :cry2: Hate this so much and don't know why I have to be so flipping pathetic. :frown: Just want to curl up and hide.

:hugs: Nothing pathetic about that, it just comes with being ill. You'll feel better someday, hopefully soon!

Original post by james1211
Thanks for that link, i've been making notes to take to the GP appointment because i'd forget to mention everything. What's written in there was useful, it'll help me articulate myself.

I guess i'm afraid to turn back now because i've spent money on my degree and i don't want to feel like a quitter. My mate got an apprenticeship straight out of A levels doing something i always wanted to do but didn't know how to. I'm a very controlling person and like to be secure and that apprenticeship gives him a job at the end automatically. It's not near the kind of pay i'd expect doing what i currently do but that doesn't bother me in the slightest, i'd rather do something i enjoyed and had less responsibility (don't deal well with it) than something that pays more but i'll constantly fear i'll mess up.

I'm also worried that i'm just telling myself i don't want to do it as a defence mechanism and that i'm just jealous that my mate has a job already and i don't. It's maybe my self confidence, that's why i'm reluctant to change paths now incase it isn't for the right reasons.

I also feel in limbo because i want to finish my degree and work in the job for a bit to really see whether i do or don't like it before doing anything but that apprenticeship is only running for three years and i can't see there being other opportunities in that field afterwards. I only went to university because i was pressured into it from my college but didn't realise they were pushing me to it for their own targets not because it was the best decision for me.

I'm studying Building Surveying at the minute and he's doing his apprenticeship for Nexus who run the railway network round here - it's a job for life but my current path is unstable.

Appreciate anyone who listens and i hope i can return help to the community in here, i just don't know people very well at the minute :smile:

Glad I could help. :smile:

Hmm, how long till you've finished the degree? Maybe you could finish that off, apply for the apprenticeship then have the degree to fall back on if you don't get in? And there's nothing wrong with doing a degree in one thing then working in another field - I'm just finishing studying Russian at uni, and I'm currently looking at jobs/apprenticeships/volunteering in all kinds of lines of work, like bakery, textiles and mental health! :tongue:

You'll get to know people - just answer people when you've got something to say and you'll have made some friends in no time. :smile:

Original post by zonkfrog
That's what makes it so painful. I put myself out for others always but noone is there for me when my life falls apart. It's ok. Stuff'll be sorted soon.

Are you sure that's really true? I don't know about in real life, but on here myself and other people have talked to you and tried to be helpful. :smile: Sounds like you might be seeing things in an 'all or nothing' kind of a way, when in fact things aren't as bad as you think.

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Made it through the day! Feeling super successful. Managed to talk a few people into going up the climbing wall and had a go myself too. Pretty sure I broke every muscle I own though but worth it. Starting to worry that youth work is what I should be doing with my life and I've spent the past 6 years wasting my life on a computer science degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesomeness! :biggrin: Climbing sounds like fun, and doing a degree is pretty much never a waste cos it'll have all kinds of real-world applications.
Reply 4982

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done :smile: Work like that can be very rewarding. It clearly makes you feel good, is computer science no longer satisfying?
Original post by zonkfrog
That's what makes it so painful. I put myself out for others always but noone is there for me when my life falls apart. It's ok. Stuff'll be sorted soon.

Prehaps take time for YOU for a bit, do stuff you enjoy that may make you feel better.
And im sure people appreciate it, maybe there not sure how bad thongs actually currently are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
Prehaps take time for YOU for a bit, do stuff you enjoy that may make you feel better.
And im sure people appreciate it, maybe there not sure how bad thongs actually currently are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, have a mental image of you (not that I know what you look like) having horrible trouble wearing a thong. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Youth work is amazing fun and very rewarding :yep: and you wont have waisted 6 years hun, my mums nearly 50 and she still doesnt know what she wants to do!
It sounds like this volunteering is a really positive thing for you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superwolf
Awesomeness! :biggrin: Climbing sounds like fun, and doing a degree is pretty much never a waste cos it'll have all kinds of real-world applications.

It was super fun. I was dreadful but it was fun and helping others up the wall was fun too. I guess my degree isn't pointless but I really wish I'd chosen to do something based around youth work.

I'm in the process of considering teaching but if I enjoy the next 5 weeks of youth stuff then I'll consider more voluntary work at local youth centres. I have until September 2014 to choose my next course after all.

Well done :smile: Work like that can be very rewarding. It clearly makes you feel good, is computer science no longer satisfying?

I think I'm really drained and computer science just feels like a life suck. I'll finish my degree (I only have one semester left) but I really wish I could go back and tell myself to do something I wanted to do instead of choosing something I was naturally good at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, have a mental image of you (not that I know what you look like) having horrible trouble wearing a thong. :tongue:

Haha thongs are pretty bloody uncomfy so maybe there not aware how bad they are. Maybe it was a secret message :ninja:

Naaaa my fingers are too fat for my phone :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was super fun. I was dreadful but it was fun and helping others up the wall was fun too. I guess my degree isn't pointless but I really wish I'd chosen to do something based around youth work.

I'm in the process of considering teaching but if I enjoy the next 5 weeks of youth stuff then I'll consider more voluntary work at local youth centres. I have until September 2014 to choose my next course after all.

Ah well, we live and learn. :tongue: And it might be that in the future your degree really comes in useful - something based around both computing and youth work maybe? I've managed to find a place to hopefully volunteer at that combines mental health and knitting, so I'm sure you can find something too!

That sounds like a good plan - I'd also try and keep in touch with people you meet through the youth work cos they might be able to help you find a job in the future. :yy:
Reply 4989
Hmm, how long till you've finished the degree? Maybe you could finish that off, apply for the apprenticeship then have the degree to fall back on if you don't get in? And there's nothing wrong with doing a degree in one thing then working in another field - I'm just finishing studying Russian at uni, and I'm currently looking at jobs/apprenticeships/volunteering in all kinds of lines of work, like bakery, textiles and mental health! :tongue:

Yeah that's been the plan in the back of my mind. It just gets complicated with things like my placement year getting in the way. If i choose not to do one i can be done my degree in a years time (just finished Y2) but i'd graduate without having done a placement so it won't be a sandwich degree. It's harder to get employment after uni in this field without the placement, but not impossible. That's why if i don't get this placement i'm not sure whether to spend another year looking for one and just working part time or to go straight to final year, finish, and apply for the apprenticeship alongside jobs in the surveying field.

I think I'm really drained and computer science just feels like a life suck. I'll finish my degree (I only have one semester left) but I really wish I could go back and tell myself to do something I wanted to do instead of choosing something I was naturally good at.

I'm already going through the same kind of thing and i'm only half way through my degree. I already wish i had done something else so i can imagine it being even more draining 6 years down the line. I'm only 20 but i worry that by the time i've found a career i truly want and have settled into full time work in it, i'll be like 30 or older.
Reply 4990
Original post by PonchoKid
Hell to the yeah :yep:
Apparently because it was exercise related it was acceptable to watch it at the end of term and stuff :tongue:

I dont think my group were ever aloud to play dodgeball itself, we would have hurt each other most likely :yep: haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our end of term stuff was generally playing dodgeball with the boys haha!

Original post by Noodlzzz
Phone call half way through job interview telling me I've got a mental health act assessment in 30 mins. You'll know what happened if I don't report back :frown:

I'm glad you didn't get sectioned and I hope the meds help :hugs:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4991
I hate the constant prejudice on here. It is not nice when the same people do it constantly and it does get you down.
Yeah that's been the plan in the back of my mind. It just gets complicated with things like my placement year getting in the way. If i choose not to do one i can be done my degree in a years time (just finished Y2) but i'd graduate without having done a placement so it won't be a sandwich degree. It's harder to get employment after uni in this field without the placement, but not impossible. That's why if i don't get this placement i'm not sure whether to spend another year looking for one and just working part time or to go straight to final year, finish, and apply for the apprenticeship alongside jobs in the surveying field.

Ah yeah, that does complicate things a bit. Still, is it at all possible to take time off from your degree and do the apprenticeship? Or 'finish' the degree, then do the placement later? Might be an idea to meet up with your personal tutor or someone from uni to discuss your options.

Original post by Morgsie
I hate the constant prejudice on here. It is not nice when the same people do it constantly and it does get you down.

:console: Who's prejudiced against who?
Reply 4993
Me being targeted day in and day out on here
Original post by Morgsie

There are some really warped people on here. Best thing to do, whilst not ideal, is just not to hang out where they hang out. I learnt that the hard day the other day when I left without warning :sadnod:
Reply 4995
Ah yeah, that does complicate things a bit. Still, is it at all possible to take time off from your degree and do the apprenticeship? Or 'finish' the degree, then do the placement later? Might be an idea to meet up with your personal tutor or someone from uni to discuss your options.

Yeah, i'm gonna wait and see the outcome of this job interview then depending on the outcome i'll be able to make a more informed decision. If i get the job at least i can spend the year deciding whether it's really for me or not.
Reply 4996
Original post by Morgsie
Me being targeted day in and day out on here

Honestly i ignore the vast majority of people on this forum. I've learned what sub forums not to engage in.
Reply 4997
Original post by HmMusic
X

Sorry I'm abit late but better late than never I guess >.< Congratulations! He looks absolutely adorable and I don't particularly find babies cute but he's in a different league :redface:

Original post by Idle
X

Also, just saw your promotion :h: So congratulations to you dude! :yy:
Reply 4998
Original post by Deyesy
Also, just saw your promotion :h: So congratulations to you dude! :yy:

Thank you! :redface:

Sorry I haven't read this thread much recently, a huge congrats on the baby HM! :h:
Hey all, everyone seems alright, as alright as it goes for us :tongue:

I swear i was on the verge of a panic attack minutes ago...but im steadily getting better now. I think it may be because of my sertraline i took 10 mins before going out...im so confused about whether or not its working. My mood still swings a lot, im not sure what to think :s-smilie:

I've been on it for close to 2 months now, but i wasn't told to have a break from coming off of citalopram, so im not sure if it was interacting with the sertraline for a while or still is, urgh.

I hate not knowing what is going on,especially when its my own body and mind :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest