The Student Room Group

Girls vs boys maths challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joel R
:woo:

Although I did have to use your hint about the arrangement of the semicircles. Can I ask how you knew instantly that that maximised the area covered by them (i.e. is there a specific rule that applies more generally)?

Just instinct. I checked other configurations to make sure they weren't better.
Reply 261
Original post by Mr M
Just instinct. I checked other configurations to make sure they weren't better.

Fair enough. It makes sense. :smile:
Original post by Smaug123
Yep, exactly :smile: I guessed that the signs would just be a typo or carelessness or something - they're not something I would worry about when solving a problem, I'd just bung them in at the end and hope for the best!

dF/da = -s (s-b) (s-c) - 1/2 * lambda, right?
Original post by PhysicsKid
dF/da = -s (s-b) (s-c) - 1/2 * lambda, right?

Yep :smile:
Smaug123
Yep :smile:
Do I let both derivatives equal 0 then equate?
Do I let both derivatives equal 0 then equate?

Yep again :smile:
This is because the complex logarithm is multivalued - you've implicitly taken an unusual value of log(i). (That is, in implicitly using e^log(i) = i).

This.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yep again :smile:

So then if I cancel out the common terms, I get s-a = s-b which just simplifies to the constraint s = (a-b)/2?
So then if I cancel out the common terms, I get s-a = s-b which just simplifies to the constraint s = (a-b)/2?

How does that simplify in that way? If sa=sbs-a = s-b, then a=b-a = -b so a=ba=b. And that's exactly what we wanted - two sides are the same length. But there was no particular reason to call this side a and this side b - we might just as well have called this side b and this side c, so with no further work we can also say that b=cb=c. Hence equilateral.
How does that simplify in that way? If sa=sbs-a = s-b, then a=b-a = -b so a=ba=b. And that's exactly what we wanted - two sides are the same length. But there was no particular reason to call this side a and this side b - we might just as well have called this side b and this side c, so with no further work we can also say that b=cb=c. Hence equilateral.

Ahh :smile: I thought there were more steps and was solving for s. I made a mistake in my head giving 2s = a+b rearranged haha. I've just realised I already had it: Take my expanded form, equate, remove repeated ters and you get bs^2-bcs = as^2 - acs. Factorise both sides bs (s-c) = as (s-c). bs = as hence b = a. Since I already knew a = b, I thought 'that just tells me what I already know- but of course the proof requires showing that a=b. D'oh! :wink:
Reply 270
For GCSE students mainly:

tanx=cosxsinxtanx=\dfrac{cosx}{sinx} never true, sometimes true or always true?

Prove your statement
Original post by Robbie242
For GCSE students mainly:

tanx=cosxsinxtanx=\dfrac{cosx}{sinx} never true, sometimes true or always true?

Prove your statement

Spoiler

Reply 272

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 273

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 274
LOOOL these don't seem like GCSE q's anymore, and can people explain how they got their answer more effectively for others that do not understand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 275
Original post by Technetium
Well done :tongue:.. what about the cube root of i?! :wink:

there are three cube roots, which one do you want? :wink:
Reply 276
Original post by TomzOJO
LOOOL these don't seem like GCSE q's anymore, and can people explain how they got their answer more effectively for others that do not understand

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was under the impression they were A level upwards... regardless, if you reread through the thread you will see that people have explained how to do it and other people have used the hints to get their answers. if theres stuff you don't understand after reading through the hints then tell us what you don't understand and we'll do our best to explain :smile:
Reply 277
Without using a calculator, prove or disprove that 398712+436512=447212\displaystyle 3987^{12}+4365^{12}=4472^{12}
Reply 278

Spoiler

Original post by Robbie242

Spoiler

1/tan x (cot x)

Quick Reply

Latest