The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Agreed. Graduated with a comfortable First but feels kind of hollow when I recall the ability of some students who were awarded 2:1s.

However, I do believe that the internet has enabled quick access to information that would previously have taken weeks in a library, thus being able to produce a fairly decent essay with much less effort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought every uni was 70% for a first, what uni did you go to?
Reply 22
Original post by EmptyBracket
Grade inflation has eroded the value of a degree; a 2:1 is far too easy to achieve. Every man and his dog had a 2:1 these days, they are practically handed out with packets of cornflakes. This is intensifying competition in the graduate job market; high achievers with overall grades of 80% plus are unable to distinguish themselves from the competition. I have graduated from a top 15 University with a high 1st, yet in the job market I am competing against people who might have a grade as low as 57% (disgustingly, my University awards a 2:1 for achieving 57% or a 1st for 67%!).

The education system is broken; degrees have been watered down; the classification system is a joke (10% difference for grade boundaries is MASSIVE). Discuss.

Explain how signalling is relevant to your argument. Of course degrees signal to employers the worth of candidates, but why would a pooling equilibrium not be reached?
It is an indicator of ability, intelligence and acts as a signal to potential employers. Sounds like you're the holder of a 2:1 :biggrin:

It looks like you're just trolling to get a reaction. If you were truly confident, you wouldn't feel the need to brag on here.
I must be pretty thick because I found mine quite challenging. My current one is hard also. I don't think they're getting easier I think more people are doing them.
Reply 25
Original post by Jabberwox
I heard employers actually favour those with 2:1s, because they believe they are more 'all-rounders'. You may have a First in a difficult subject but that does not automatically mean you're more employable. Employers generally look for work experience, varied interests and a decent university grade, usually a 2:1.

No one gives a flying **** about what you've heard provide some data instead of making baseless assertions to support an argument.
Reply 26
A pooling equilibrium will be achieved, obviously. But the two required constraints for the pooling equilibrium to exist will be more easily satiated, the cost of signalling for the low quality type will be reduced; the low quality type will find it easier to mimic the high quality type as it requires less effort than previously. This declining rigour will result in lower wages due to over supply in the graduate job market. Hence degrees should be made harder, not dumbed down. An MSc is the new BSc in my opinion.

Original post by Suprise Me
Explain how signalling is relevant to your argument. Of course degrees signal to employers the worth of candidates, but why would a pooling equilibrium not be reached?
No one gives a flying **** about what you've heard provide some data instead of making baseless assertions to support an argument.

Why be so rude?

I'm afraid I don't have any kind of statistics, as I have better things to do that to research that sort of thing, I simply said 'I've heard'. I didn't pretend that this assumption was gospel, I was just saying what I think.
What a pointless trivial input. Personal anecdotes are not necessarily indicative of a wider trend.

You have a massive intellect - we get it. Now is it possible for you to act like a civilised human being?
Reply 29
A pooling equilibrium will be achieved, obviously. But the two required constraints for the pooling equilibrium to exist will be more easily satiated, the cost of signalling for the low quality type will be reduced; the low quality type will find it easier to mimic the high quality type as it requires less effort than previously. This declining rigour will result in lower wages due to over supply in the graduate job market. Hence degrees should be made harder, not dumbed down. An MSc is the new BSc in my opinion.

Ah yes it's rather simple now you put it like that, I've yet to hear a convincing argument against your position. I commend you for providing data to support your arguments, quantitative data seems to be lacking from those posting in support of the contrary position.
Reply 30
Original post by qwertyking
You have a massive intellect - we get it. Now is it possible for you to act like a civilised human being?

I firstly will apologize for the manner in which I've conducted myself, however it angers me to hear people responding to a well thought out argument with baseless personal anecdotes and mindlessly negging the OP because the truth is inconvenient.
Reply 31
Thank you. You put forward some valid points yourself, and it is always a good idea to ask questions of the data and statements we see around us. A fellow Economist yourself?

Ah yes it's rather simple now you put it like that, I've yet to hear a convincing argument against your position. I commend you for providing data to support your arguments, quantitative data seems to be lacking from those posting in support of the contrary position.
Reply 32
Original post by Jabberwox
Why be so rude?

I'm afraid I don't have any kind of statistics, as I have better things to do that to research that sort of thing, I simply said 'I've heard'. I didn't pretend that this assumption was gospel, I was just saying what I think.

Then don't post if your post is going to lack even a snippet of substance.
Reply 33
Thank you. You put forward some valid points yourself, and it is always a good idea to ask questions of the data and statements we see around us. A fellow Economist yourself?

I'm starting A2 next year, so I wouldn't classify myself as an economist, I wish to go on to do Law and Cantonese. Likely law as the combination isn't offered in a wide variety of places.
Then don't post if your post is going to lack even a snippet of substance.

I'll post precisely what I want.

If you want the 'statistics' so bad, why don't you conduct the research yourself?
They should use radians

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is something of an 'I'm very clever' thread.

You may be right. Certainly not at the very top universities, and university name and reputation still holds a lot of weight, but probably at several others. What did you get at A-level?

However, people can only do the best with what they have, and there is always a way to differentiate yourself. If you are good enough you will get yourself noticed somehow. What jobs are you applying for?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
define 'way'.

show some cross comparison of a degree now and 'then'.

How are you branding all degrees under an umbrella, of 'degrees'?
Reply 38
If employers are actually bothered about hiring the people with the absolute maximum subject knowledge, they can simply ask for a transcript. If you're on a first and are frequently getting leapfrogged for jobs by people with 2.1, maybe it's because you're coming across as disagreeable at interview?
Reply 39
This is not an "I'm very clever" thread, this is a discussion regarding the dumbing down of degrees. I'm someone who thought I would struggle to get a 2:1 as I don't think I'm particularly clever, yet the ease with which I obtained a 1st was shocking as other have also expressed above.

What makes it even more laughable too, is I don't have any A-levels and I have a set of **** GCSE's (7 A-C). BSc Economics normally requires A-level mathematics, so I even though I had to get up to speed with that it was still too easy.

I've been applying for every job you can think of from basic admin to investment banking analyst jobs. Ironically, it is the investment banking analyst jobs that I have had the most success with. Probably because I have a successful track record trading equities on my own account.

Original post by Octohedral
This is something of an 'I'm very clever' thread.

You may be right. Certainly not at the very top universities, and university name and reputation still holds a lot of weight, but probably at several others. What did you get at A-level?

However, people can only do the best with what they have, and there is always a way to differentiate yourself. If you are good enough you will get yourself noticed somehow. What jobs are you applying for?

Latest

Trending

Trending