The Student Room Group

Do I drop out of uni?

hi man..
should i drop out of uni and pursue an apprenticeship?
people at my uni are so unserious...
my friends call my uni **** all the time as well
I have been self studying, doing personal projects and leetcode..
and self studying curriculums of other much more rigorous unis..
Will my unserious cohort hold me back?
like i made no friends at uni.., societies are very limited, we literally had no cs society, this uni doesnt offer low income people bursaries as well
most of the cohort is international as well making it harder to make friends.
the ta's and lectures are low quality as well
Studying cs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Destoinyt-etete
hi man..
like i made no friends at uni.., societies are very limited, we literally had no cs society, this uni doesnt offer low income people bursaries as well
Studying cs

Which university do you go to?
brunel
Are you struggling with your degree?
Original post by Shelly Wang
Are you struggling with your degree?

no..
I was thinking of dropping out but what is the point
(edited 8 months ago)
no

Do you like your degree?
Do you like your degree?

I suggest you to not drop out your degree, finish your undergraduate degree. That way, even if your university isn't that good, you still have a degree that you can do things with it, like applying for a masters to a university a bit better than your current university. If you drop out, it could be difficult to reapply again.
Reply 7
Whether to drop out of university for an apprenticeship depends on your career goals, the quality of education you're receiving, and the value of a degree in your field. Consider the practical experience an apprenticeship offers, the networking opportunities of university, and how your current university's environment aligns with your needs. Make an informed decision that best supports your long-term aspirations.
I suggest you to not drop out your degree, finish your undergraduate degree. That way, even if your university isn't that good, you still have a degree that you can do things with it, like applying for a masters to a university a bit better than your current university. If you drop ou t, it could be difficult to reapply again.

Okay thank you.., I have been looking at other courses like loughborough it course and ucl itmb which I would be interested in cuz i would of been about to get extra 4000 pounds in funding and a more driven cohort but it just seems complicated to do transfers and all of that
hi man..
Studying cs

I'd suggest you tough it out. It's not ideal, and might be boring at times, but you mentioned that you don't find your degree difficult. Having a degree in hand is infinitely more useful than not having one.

What in particular bothers you about your cohort?
Okay thank you.., I have been looking at other courses like loughborough it course and ucl itmb which I would be interested in cuz i would of been about to get extra 4000 pounds in funding and a more driven cohort but it just seems complicated to do transfers and all of that

Glad to help
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I'd suggest you tough it out. It's not ideal, and might be boring at times, but you mentioned that you don't find your degree difficult. Having a degree in hand is infinitely more useful than not having one.

I agree. Doing a degree at a university that you aren't struggling with is a good thing.

they arent serious and they just don't care. They dont even know much/anything as well in regards to what is required for being a swe etc .
Also, struggling to make friends when 90 percent of the cohort is unserious and not as motivated as me
I agree. Doing a degree at a university that you aren't struggling with is a good thing.

Like the exams we had were just a joke, it was way too easy man. Like a bit of dignity you know would be a bit nice...
My uni also doesnt offer bursaries as well not even a little
Only thing that give me bursaries is a charity organisation which is 1800.
could of gotten 4000 more if I attended a RG uni or something :/ which makes me sad
they arent serious and they just don't care. They dont even know much/anything as well in regards to what is required for being a swe etc .
Also, struggling to make friends when 90 percent of the cohort is unserious and not as motivated as me

What about the remaining 10% pf your cohort? Surely there's someone there taking the degree seriously? If that's still a no, there's loads of online groups you can join (like the ones here!). Some are even subject-specific. You mentioned friends in a previous post, do they attend your uni? Do they attend any unis nearby?
my uni linked me to this charity that does things for people of low income etc in lambeth.
got to communicate with people working at AMD, business developer at chik fila, management consultants and other people.

didnt see other unis I was looking at promoting this type of stuff
Like the exams we had were just a joke, it was way too easy man. Like a bit of dignity you know would be a bit nice...
could of gotten 4000 more if I attended a RG uni or something :/ which makes me sad

Which year are you currently in?
What about the remaining 10% pf your cohort? Surely there's someone there taking the degree seriously? If that's still a no, there's loads of online groups you can join (like the ones here!). Some are even subject-specific. You mentioned friends in a previous post, do they attend your uni? Do they attend any unis nearby?

I dont even know man. I cant even make friends with most of the cohort since most are international etc and a lot of people here commute to uni as well..
Yeah, I think I will need to search for someone actually taking the degree seriously..
honestly I had health issues and couldnt think clearly when doing my a levels and it hurt me to miss out an A by a few marks I could of easily gotten if I didn't have breathing issues etc.. could of gotten a D for all I know

Idk I cut out my friends from sixth form etc..
Which year are you currently in?

first year

How does other students find the exams? Do they also want to drop out as well? Maybe you should talk to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending