The Student Room Group

Self critical

I have really low self esteem today. I was in really low mood in the office and had to go in the bathroom to take time out.

I went to a work event after work, which was great.

Now I'm home and all I'm doing is criticising my behaviour. On my not giving eye contact to my colleague, shyness, awkwardness, having a serious face :I, my quiet behaviour.

I feel so embarrass of myself. I feel so awful about myself right now.
Have you spoken with your GP about feeling quite low in this way and criticising yourself mentally after interactions? They might be able to help advise you on management techniques for that or other ways to support you in that. Especially if it's affecting your day to day life it's worth discussing with them I think :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Have you spoken with your GP about feeling quite low in this way and criticising yourself mentally after interactions? They might be able to help advise you on management techniques for that or other ways to support you in that. Especially if it's affecting your day to day life it's worth discussing with them I think :smile:

I have been to the GP, I've been therapy twice now...idk I just don't feel it's working for me
Original post by Anonymous
I have been to the GP, I've been therapy twice now...idk I just don't feel it's working for me

Well, it's worth discussing how the therapy is (or in this case, isn't!) working for you, both with your GP and therapist - as not all kinds of therapy work for everyone, and you might find a different kind works better. I think it's easy to see therapy (especially talking therapies) as a monolith but from my (admittedly somewhat limited, based on experience of only one kind of talking therapy personally) knowledge, they can be quite varied. Some are more goal/solution oriented than others for example, which may or may not fit your needs better! Also sometimes it can be a hard at first (I used to joke my CBT stood for cognitive behavioural torture...it did help though! It definitely wasn't fun in the process at times however :redface: ) but try not to be put off by that (and again, well worth talking about challenges as you come up to them with your therapist - I think that's really part of the whole process too!).

Also depending on the context, what diagnosis your GP may have given you and what therapy(/ies) you have tried, your GP may also discuss with your potential medicinal approaches as well to managing symptoms if needed.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending