The Student Room Group

Anyone get into Medicine recently with AAB if they've narrowly missed the grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Wholovespeanuts
This exactly happened to my friend a couple of years ago when she just missed her last A in her non-science subject and she still got into leicester for medicine. :smile:

Its good to know someone has done it though! :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by colabottles
I did in 2011 but I had a pass in the Welsh Baccalaureate too which, after some persuasion on the phone on results day, finally got me in. I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about though, good luck! :smile:

Could you tell me what you said to persuade them, it would be much appreciated ;D XD (if you remember hahaa)
Reply 22
Original post by tomtom415
I know this is hardly helping, but Plymouth and Exeter both allow people who have resat A levels to go up from AAB to A*AA

I did look into that but I didn't know what grades they wanted it to go up to. Thanks, I can consider a gap year if tomorrow doesn't pan out then XD
slightly different, but I know someone with an IB offer for UEA 2012 for 666 at HL- got 765 with 5 in Chemistry at HL (so roughly A*AB with B in Chem) and got in. :redface:
Reply 24
Original post by housre
Your in exactly the same situation as me!! I got a low A for AS too and needed an A in everything :P I don't want to see maths ever again :L

Tomorrow will be the best or worst day of my life.
Reply 25
Original post by AspiringGenius
slightly different, but I know someone with an IB offer for UEA 2012 for 666 at HL- got 765 with 5 in Chemistry at HL (so roughly A*AB with B in Chem) and got in. :redface:

I so hope this happens to me!

UEA's my firm and everything.

Bringing me hope :redface:
Original post by BooAlphie
I so hope this happens to me!

UEA's my firm and everything.

Bringing me hope :redface:

I don't want to give you false hope, of course, but UEA are one fo the schools that focusses a bit less on the academic side. However if you miss the offer you should still assume a rejection before any discussions take place :smile:
Reply 27

With A levels only Keele accepts the B in chemistry, everywhere else chemistry has to be at an A now
Reply 28
I don't want to give you false hope, of course, but UEA are one fo the schools that focusses a bit less on the academic side. However if you miss the offer you should still assume a rejection before any discussions take place :smile:

Oh no, don't worry, I'm still 100% sure that I won't get in! I meant that out of all of the schools, I'm glad UEA is my firm because there's a teeny chance they might.

Don't worry no false hope here. I'm the most pessimistic person you'll ever talk to :biggrin:
Reply 29
Tomorrow will be the best or worst day of my life.

Lol you know when people go "Maths is the worst thing in my life?", well we can turn around and say "Well maths destroyed my life. I win" :tongue:
Its funny how since 2012 C3 has been screwing over people so much. Every past paper including June 2011 was so manageable. Now AQA have made it an agenda to make the paper hard as they can.

I had applied for medicine last year too but no interviews :frown: so i can say that its very unlikely that they will let someone in with a lower grade. People would swap and arm and a leg to get that offer im afraid :frown:
Oh no, don't worry, I'm still 100% sure that I won't get in! I meant that out of all of the schools, I'm glad UEA is my firm because there's a teeny chance they might.

Don't worry no false hope here. I'm the most pessimistic person you'll ever talk to :biggrin:

oh god, I hope I have not made you feel hopeless, I just didn't want you thinking that if you missed your offer it'd be a certain place. I'm sure you will have met your offer anyway, it's such a hassle to pick students for medicine I'm sure they wouldnt have given you the offer unless they were fairly sure you'd meet it.
Reply 32
Original post by housre
Lol you know when people go "Maths is the worst thing in my life?", well we can turn around and say "Well maths destroyed my life. I win" :tongue:

LOOOOOL this made me laugh :smile:

Did you see the Hitler video on youtube about C3?
Reply 33
oh god, I hope I have not made you feel hopeless, I just didn't want you thinking that if you missed your offer it'd be a certain place. I'm sure you will have met your offer anyway, it's such a hassle to pick students for medicine I'm sure they wouldnt have given you the offer unless they were fairly sure you'd meet it.

LOL I feel like I'm stressing you out, first by making you think that you'd given me false hope and now this :P Don't worry, I'm a naturally pessimistic person, and then if I get anything better than what I thought I'm ecstatic.

I hope I get in, I'm pretty sure I won't, but I'm also aware it's not the end of the world. I'll be gutted but there are other ways.

So don't worry. You haven't freaked me out haha
Original post by tomtom415
I know this is hardly helping, but Plymouth and Exeter both allow people who have resat A levels to go up from AAB to A*AA

What if you get A*AB? Would they expect A*A*A?
Reply 35
LOOOOOL this made me laugh :smile:

Did you see the Hitler video on youtube about C3?

We need to laugh when things like this are happening ;D Yes I did see it! I was cheering along to every line!! My family must have thought I was crazy.. It was pretty funny XDD
Reply 36
Original post by cat-lover

If you get A*AB as long as the A is in Chemistry they'll probably accept you
Original post by housre
If you get A*AB as long as the A is in Chemistry they'll probably accept you

If the offer was A*AB then of course. But usually med is so over subscribed that if you don't meet the offer you won't get in. Resits or not. There will be exceptions though.

Original post by cat-lover

This would be down to the uni and to each case. It won't have a hard and fast rule I am afraid.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by housre
We need to laugh when things like this are happening ;D Yes I did see it! I was cheering along to every line!! My family must have thought I was crazy.. It was pretty funny XDD

I got an A in that paper :O
Happened to me last year, I got AAB with the B in Maths last year, because I flunked my D1 paper (had a stomach bug the week leading up to it and didn't think it would effect me much; it obviously did :/) but I still got let in to SGUL :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending