The Student Room Group

My AS results are terrible :(

So i found out my results today, i got CCCD in biology, chemistry, french and maths respectively... I cant even begin to describe how disappointed i am :frown: i feel sooo demotivated to carry on to A2, what should i do? Would universities even bother considering me now? the course i want to do has an entry requirement of AAB.. My only option now is to resit some exams, but that will be HELL next summer.. And i really dont want to take a gap year :frown:
Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just know you're not the only one...
You could resit year 12? A few people at my school did that.
It's not the end of the world. You can pull those grades up to As if you work hard :smile:
You get hit on the chin first question do you want to get back up?

How motivated and how much do you want to do that course. If you do then resit. Work damn hard at it and you will succeed. Many people struggle but when they resit they do much better cause they now know how much work they need to put in.

Don't be discouraged.
Reply 4
Original post by thelebowski
Just know you're not the only one...

i was almost in tears earlier, thats how disappointed i am..

Original post by Maid Marian
You could resit year 12? A few people at my school did that.
It's not the end of the world. You can pull those grades up to As if you work hard :smile:

i was thinking of re sitting, but exams wont be until June 2014 now. There's no longer any January exams., and these exams i am re sitting are BIG modules. Plus i have A2 modules to worry about. You know what? I'll do it.
Original post by Malevolent
You get hit on the chin first question do you want to get back up?

How motivated and how much do you want to do that course. If you do then resit. Work damn hard at it and you will succeed. Many people struggle but when they resit they do much better cause they now know how much work they need to put in.

Don't be discouraged.

Thanks, but i honestly put 110% into these exams! I honestly dont know what more else i could do!
Original post by Mia_baines
i was almost in tears earlier, thats how disappointed i am..

i was thinking of re sitting, but exams wont be until June 2014 now. There's no longer any January exams., and these exams i am re sitting are BIG modules. Plus i have A2 modules to worry about. You know what? I'll do it.

Thanks, but i honestly put 110% into these exams! I honestly dont know what more else i could do!

You did your best be proud maybe University isn't your route to take. However try again and by the sounds of it you are going to do so. You'll be surprised how much people's grades improve after they've had their first taste of disappointment. :h:
Reply 6
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Unfortunately my results aren't good especially when I got a C in what I want to study at uni. I'm going to retake 2 modules in my other subject next year and then just go for it...
It's going to be difficult but I really need to work harder this year
Reply 7
Original post by Malevolent
You did your best be proud maybe University isn't your route to take. However try again and by the sounds of it you are going to do so. You'll be surprised how much people's grades improve after they've had their first taste of disappointment. :h:

Well, i seriously wanted to go to university,and yeah, re sitting is my best option though now. A2 will be hell. :frown: But thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Seble
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Unfortunately my results aren't good especially when I got a C in what I want to study at uni. I'm going to retake 2 modules in my other subject next year and then just go for it...
It's going to be difficult but I really need to work harder this year

what is it you wanted to study? and Yes, VERY hard esp. since there will be no january exams. I'm already dreading june next year :frown: And i have to re sit 3 of my AS exams!! hope everything goes okay for you next year :redface:
Reply 9
Well, i seriously wanted to go to university,and yeah, re sitting is my best option though now. A2 will be hell. :frown: But thanks anyway :smile:

Why don't you just retake your AS year? That's what I'm doing.
Reply 10
So i found out my results today, i got CCCD in biology, chemistry, french and maths respectively... I cant even begin to describe how disappointed i am :frown: i feel sooo demotivated to carry on to A2, what should i do? Would universities even bother considering me now? the course i want to do has an entry requirement of AAB.. My only option now is to resit some exams, but that will be HELL next summer.. And i really dont want to take a gap year :frown:
Any advice?

Three main options:

1. Carry on and try to pull the grades up. Its possible especially if you are quite close to B's in terms of the points.
2. Re-take the units.
3. Bank these AS levels and choose three different subjects (that you are pretty sure you can get 3 A's in) and start again for two years.

Only you know the best thing for you. Obviously you are disappointed :frown: and none of it is ideal. But I know people who have taken these various options and in the end they all ended up being very successful :smile: This happens to lots of people.

The main thing is to be honest with yourself and decide if you have done your absolute best and are unlikely to improve much (ie. You have chosen the 'wrong' subjects for you) or if you think with extra work and determination you can pull the grades up.

Also check if you can do the type of course you want at a university that requires lower grades as a back up if you decide to carry on. If you decide that the whole A level/university thing is not your pathway at all start looking into apprenticeships.

Good luck

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by pessimist
Why don't you just retake your AS year? That's what I'm doing.

I dont know. i dont really fancy staying behind another year, and i want to get to uni asap.. plus, some of my grades on other modules were quite good :s-smilie: I think its just a few i'll be re sitting.
Don't worry about it. I know it's the worst feeling in the world, and believe me when I say that I know how you feel. I got BBCC. I didn't revis)e for one of them, and the other (**** you chemistry) I expected, but yeah. I know how it feels. Sorry I can't offer any advice
I had worse grade than the in AS but I did resits, worked hard and turned it around at A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
what is it you wanted to study? and Yes, VERY hard esp. since there will be no january exams. I'm already dreading june next year :frown: And i have to re sit 3 of my AS exams!! hope everything goes okay for you next year :redface:

Thanks, music. But unfortunately you cant redo music modules as the specification changes every year, so it's very difficult to unfortunately!! I'm going to be retaking history modules to try and byring my grades up.
Reply 15
Original post by catoswyn
Three main options:

1. Carry on and try to pull the grades up. Its possible especially if you are quite close to B's in terms of the points.
2. Re-take the units.
3. Bank these AS levels and choose three different subjects (that you are pretty sure you can get 3 A's in) and start again for two years.

Only you know the best thing for you. Obviously you are disappointed :frown: and none of it is ideal. But I know people who have taken these various options and in the end they all ended up being very successful :smile: This happens to lots of people.

The main thing is to be honest with yourself and decide if you have done your absolute best and are unlikely to improve much (ie. You have chosen the 'wrong' subjects for you) or if you think with extra work and determination you can pull the grades up.

Also check if you can do the type of course you want at a university that requires lower grades as a back up if you decide to carry on. If you decide that the whole A level/university thing is not your pathway at all start looking into apprenticeships.

Good luck

:smile:

Thank you.. i've decided i'll re sit a few certain modules, as well as revise A2,. its going to be alot of hardwork, but hopefully it will all pay off next year :smile:

Original post by tssf_skye
Don't worry about it. I know it's the worst feeling in the world, and believe me when I say that I know how you feel. I got BBCC. I didn't revis)e for one of them, and the other (**** you chemistry) I expected, but yeah. I know how it feels. Sorry I can't offer any advice

You got B's and you still didnt revise?? wow, lucky you!
Check this out : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2430259

Read my post on the 6th post down. Hope this helps
I got similar grades at AS, I found A levels ridiculously hard and a huge jump from school (much bigger than the one from A level to degree!). I left college with 3 As at A level, and have recently graduated from the University of Sheffield with a 2.1 in Biology. You can achieve anything if you really want it :smile: What course is it that you want to study? Perhaps you could carry on the 2 most favourite A levels and try 2 new subjects at AS? Or re-take, I did it!

Any advice?
CCCD is not a disaster at AS by any means; certainly not worth repeating the year over. I've known many students go on to get As and Bs from that position. It's not the end of the world but you should think of it as a wake-up call. There's nothing wrong with retaking some—even quite a lot—of the AS units next summer. Don't get demoralized. Resolve to do better next year!
Reply 19
Original post by Rosie@Sheff
I got similar grades at AS, I found A levels ridiculously hard and a huge jump from school (much bigger than the one from A level to degree!). I left college with 3 As at A level, and have recently graduated from the University of Sheffield with a 2.1 in Biology. You can achieve anything if you really want it :smile: What course is it that you want to study? Perhaps you could carry on the 2 most favourite A levels and try 2 new subjects at AS? Or re-take, I did it!

University of sheffield is one of the uni's where i'm looking to go. :redface: And the degree i'm looking to do is actually biology with a modern language!! And what i'm thinking of doing is just re sitting the modules that can improve my grades.. most uni's are asking for AAB so.. but thank you anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest