The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BethaneyJ
What were your application outcomes? Did you have any interviews? People will be being offered places along their waiting lists. There are very rarely places in clearing.

No I was rejected without interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 821
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Me too! Do you know which unis value an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably Oxbridge and the London ones, and I know Exeter and Plymouth both like them too! Wherever you apply though you've got the grades and have a much better chance than last year! That's what my mindset is anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mubashir9995
No I was rejected without interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some people are reporting phoning and getting interviews, so it might be worth a try, but this is not the norm.
Reply 823
Original post by Don'tNod
Need some advice please. Is AAA good enough? I know it's the standard offer but it isn't spectacular. :/ I've requested some remarks and I'm hoping my biology will go up because I got full marks in one paper and a B in the other. If anything I thought the second paper was much better than the first :s-smilie:

A lot of people would be really grateful for those grades. A*'s don't make much of a difference when reapplying for medicine.

Right now, just focus on reapplication preparations!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 824
Well done to all those who got the grades! I'm starting my personal statement tonight!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 825
Original post by SuziieB
Well done to all those who got the grades! I'm starting my personal statement tonight!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get the grades? I got an A in chem5!!! Was so shocked lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Need some advice please. Is AAA good enough? I know it's the standard offer but it isn't spectacular. :/ I've requested some remarks and I'm hoping my biology will go up because I got full marks in one paper and a B in the other. If anything I thought the second paper was much better than the first :s-smilie:

For the majority of medical schools, an A* will not strengthen an application. Example: AAAb > A*A*Ba
Hey, does anyone know if I can retake some A2 modules in the next summer and still apply this year?
I've left school and I wont be getting tutored from any school, just going into school for my retake exams...
is this possible to still apply to medical school?
Original post by shunoai95
Hey, does anyone know if I can retake some A2 modules in the next summer and still apply this year?
I've left school and I wont be getting tutored from any school, just going into school for my retake exams...

Yes i think there's 4/5 you can apply too. Keele,plymouth,exeter,southampton, and UAE. But you will still need to get A's predicted in the subject/subjects your resitting!
Original post by Richyp22
Yes i think there's 4/5 you can apply too. Keele,plymouth,exeter,southampton, and UAE. But you will still need to get A's predicted in the subject/subjects your resitting!

Thanks a lot...
I was (and still am) really really really depressed about my grades, I thought that I would never make it into medical school.
Original post by shunoai95

BSMS, UAE, Exeter and Plymouth will consider you. Southampton allows one subject.
Original post by BethaneyJ
Some people are reporting phoning and getting interviews, so it might be worth a try, but this is not the norm.

I phoned up liverpool and Bristol and they both said they are not doing anything like that. I also applied to Oxford and imperial but got rejected because my BMAT score was below their cut-offs. I didn't even bother phoning those two up lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
A lot of people would be really grateful for those grades. A*'s don't make much of a difference when reapplying for medicine.

Right now, just focus on reapplication preparations!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry if I seem ungrateful, I really don't want four rejections again. :frown:
Sorry if I seem ungrateful, I really don't want four rejections again. :frown:

A*'s wont make a difference don't worry about it. Just apply strategically and be ready to the fullest to smash the interviews!
Original post by frogs r everywhere
If you went to a state school (including grammar), The answer is yes. You will have to declare every single grade you achieved. For other applicants, please note that this includes subjects such as general studies/ critical thinking. If you went to a private school or institution, then ask your school for their policies, as some are allowed to leave their subject grade as spending.

AAABB are good grades and will not majorly affect your chances of getting into medicine if you apply smartly. Look out for a TSR site which entitles "Medicine: Apply to your strength" which is very helpful. Out of the top of my head, Cambridge and Birmingham.

do you think I should send for remark and resist a module? Will I be at any advantage if I was to not declare the B in biology AS and just have the predicted A?
Original post by missypink<3
Put pending grade. Don't worry I got worse AS grades last year and still got an interview. Just ace the UKCAT.

If you don't mind me asking how did you do in your AS and where did you apply? do you think its better to put down pending grade instead of a B in biology? Can we enter the grades into UCAS ourselves or does the school do it for you?
Jus got offered int on sat at plymouth through clearing! Anyone know how i can be released if the admin team have gone home for the day at the uni?? Can ucas release me?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hanz_a93
Jus got offered int on sat at plymouth through clearing! Anyone know how i can be released if the admin team have gone home for the day at the uni?? Can ucas release me?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ring the clearing hotline if you want to be released, however if Plymouth don't give you an offer you'll be nowhere. If you get an offer, that is when you'll need to be released.
Reply 838
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Did you get the grades? I got an A in chem5!!! Was so shocked lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done!! I got a B in chem5 which I did not expect at all lol. I'm really overjoyed, I got the exact same grades as you A*AA (maths, chem, bio).

Now I can begin preparations with confidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hanz_a93

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you phone them up or did they phone you up? Plus what did you say to them like how did you approach to getting an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending