The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 08batee
Thanks for writing all of that out :jumphug: And thanks for understanding, too. :smile:
My course is not offered at most unis, and they're all 'good' ones who ask for mainly A*AA and a couple who ask for AAA - though I thought about what you're saying when I applied, and purposefully chose the ones with the lower prestige instead of Cambridge, Durham, UCL, which my teachers were trying to push me into. I'm glad I did that at least, but I think I'll still be inferior to everyone. I just don't have that passion and love for what I'm doing any more. I really need to start getting organised cause I have no idea about deadlines for deferring and stuff. Ugh.

Ofcourse i understand hun!

What about defering on monday if your so unsure?
Also as another thing to think about have you thought about a slight change of course? Im not sure what you want to do but there may be other courses out there that still do what you want but prehaps arnt as competative?
You can PM me if you want and i can help you look into it :smile: :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6081
Original post by 08batee
Yeah, I agree. It's so peaceful, and calming. I love it :biggrin: I really should go more often :erm: I'm glad to hear that, I hope things still improve for you though :hugs: I'll PM you them in a second, thanks for asking though. :smile: And thank you! Aha, it was nice to hear that off a stranger, he was so sweet :h:

I would to! But I don't live that close to a beach. Hopefully one day i'll find myself a loving girlfriend and live by the coastline...it's a nice dream to have :h: I hope they improve to, it'll be nice feeling all happy and confident again :moon: I hope you improve to and I think you're doing a great job hun, so keep the faith :hugs: Okay sure and no worries :smile: Sometimes the best compliments come from the people that you've never met :biggrin: I'm so happy it's made you feel a bit happier too!! :h:
Reply 6082
Feel empty and upset but i don't even know why :s-smilie:

Something feels wrong.
That's it, after receiving my AS results my dreams of going to university to do a course that I have wanted to do for years have been crushed... This was the only thing keeping me going... I have nothing to live for anymore :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
That's it, after receiving my AS results my dreams of going to university to do a course that I have wanted to do for years have been crushed... This was the only thing keeping me going... I have nothing to live for anymore :frown:

You never know. I got shocking as results and a level results yet still got into uni. And even after messing that up i still have 1 last chance of doing it right!
So not all hope is lost!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very sorry to hear this :frown:

Have you spoken to teacher, or someone at school who might help you with clearing, or re-doing year 13? How far off the required grades are you?
Reply 6086
Original post by PonchoKid
Ofcourse i understand hun!

What about defering on monday if your so unsure?
Also as another thing to think about have you thought about a slight change of course? Im not sure what you want to do but there may be other courses out there that still do what you want but prehaps arnt as competative?
You can PM me if you want and i can help you look into it :smile: :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks sweetie :hugs:
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards deferring at the moment. :sigh: That's quite a good idea actually :holmes: I'm not sure how many courses are left now.I might have a look. Can I even do that though, considering I met the requirements for my firm? I don't understand the whole UCAS thing whatsoever, it's so confusing and I'm so unorganised :facepalm: Thanks for talking things through with me :hugs:

Original post by IDukem
I would to! But I don't live that close to a beach. Hopefully one day i'll find myself a loving girlfriend and live by the coastline...it's a nice dream to have :h: I hope they improve to, it'll be nice feeling all happy and confident again :moon: I hope you improve to and I think you're doing a great job hun, so keep the faith :hugs: Okay sure and no worries :smile: Sometimes the best compliments come from the people that you've never met :biggrin: I'm so happy it's made you feel a bit happier too!! :h:

That sounds great :smile: I live quite close to the coast really, I have no excuse. I just don't like driving very much I suppose so tend to stay around the local areas :colondollar: Thanks so much for the PM. I appreciate it. :hugs: I need to do something now but I'll reply in a little bit :smile: :hugs:

Original post by james1211

Something feels wrong.

Sorry to hear that :frown: :console: I hope your day improves :hugs:

Sorry to hear that :console: This is not necessarily true at all though. There are SO many people who don't do as well as they might have hoped at AS. Are your results really as bad as they seem right now? My AS results were quite terrible, actually. But I did lots of retakes and ended up with some decent grades, having gotten into the course of my choice. All hope is not lost, I promise you that. It's not uncommon for people to retake their AS year, either, so it that's an option that might be a good idea. As well as this, it's definitely worth applying to university if you decide to carry on to A2 this year. AS grades, whilst are important, are not the whole thing. Were you expecting the grades you achieved or did you do worse than you and your teachers imagined? If it's the latter, they may give you a strong set of predicted grades which can really help. I'm not sure which course you're thinking of applying to, but with all of these things there may still be a very good chance of your getting offers. Don't give up and all the best. If you want to PM me to talk anything through, then you're welcome :hugs:
Reply 6087
Original post by 08batee
Sorry to hear that :frown: :console: I hope your day improves :hugs:

Thanks :smile: I made some food myself and it went well so it picked me up a little. Hope your day also goes well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6088

You know, I felt identical to this 4 years ago when I finished my AS year. I hadn't worked and got bad results. I resat some exams in January and worked my ass off at A2 and almost got the grades I needed for the course at uni I wanted but missed it by one grade. I got a place on the course anyway from a strong personal statement and now I've finished my second year of uni with 68% average, got a placement year at a good job and should finish uni in 2 years with a hoof grade.

When I got my bad AS results I was convinced life wasn't worth living. In fact I think my first ever post on this forum was asking for help because I was distraught.

I'm proof that it isn't the end of your life. I managed to turn it round and am now on path for a great career.

DO NOT give up! It can be changed and you can still live the life of your dreams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 08batee
Thanks sweetie :hugs:
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards deferring at the moment. :sigh: That's quite a good idea actually :holmes: I'm not sure how many courses are left now.I might have a look. Can I even do that though, considering I met the requirements for my firm? I don't understand the whole UCAS thing whatsoever, it's so confusing and I'm so unorganised :facepalm: Thanks for talking things through with me :hugs:

its just an idea about slightly changing courses if you dont think your heart will be fully in that course.
its always worth a look hun, even if you look into it for next year?
theres that thing called adjustment this year isnt there? so you can change course, prehaps talk to someone at your school on monday?

there are so many options hun, and it will all work out, i promise.

even if you dont go to uni this year, theres always next year when your feeling better, you never know after a year out and focussing on YOU you might feel better :smile:
:penguinhug:

I friend of mine only got C-D at A level and they've still got into Uni so it's not all lost :godancing: As the others have said have a word with the professors and staff around college about doing retakes, also what course are you hoping to do? If there's a foundation year available for it then your grades won't be the end of the world. Also if you get a job or voluntary work which is relevant it'll really boost your chances of getting in despite your grades :biggrin: All the best mate, and try not to stress to much over it and enjoy your break, your college will support you as best they can when you need it.

Something feels wrong.

Sorry to hear it James :hugs: Nothing worse than when the feeling of melancholia just hits you like a steamroller although I normally find it's something you can distract yourself from so hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Right so seeing this is my first time in this thread I may word myself weirdly and ramble but here we go. Basically growing up I was a pretty alienated kid, got bullied a bit during primary school, had a teacher who always had a go at me, I was sick pretty much everyday (turned out I had a bad stomach ulcer) and got to the point where as soon as I walked into school I would breakdown crying. Rather weirdly the Doctor actually said I needed to be taken out so I was homeschooled until college. I did use to have really awful social anxiety but that's mostly gone now (feel pretty proud there) but after everything that's happened I pretty much have no self-esteem whatsoever. I don't really show it but every time i'm asked to do something I get really anxious and think I won't be able to no matter how simple or difficult the task is which is really going to mess me up at Uni and i'm getting worried that I won't make the most of my time there. Add to that my deathly fear of making an idiot of myself it makes life rather stressful :/

It wouldn't be so bad but my parents are so overprotective that they won't even let me go out by myself and want to take me to Uni everyday as i'm living in (Caring duties, financial reasons etc) but it's just getting ridiculous, how am I supposed to have confidence in myself if I can't even take a bus? I've talked to them about it but mum especially won't hear of it although i've convinced them to let me make my own way back after uni which is something. I'm just really worried that then when I start placement (i'm doing MH nursing) i'm just going to be so nervous I completely flop it.

Sooo yeah, basically does anyone have any advice on how to build up self-esteem? And possible how to be more outgoing? I'm a fairly solitary creature and that doesn't bother me (i'm planning on making the library my second home there :^_^:) but if i'm going to finally make friends who enjoy the same things I like then i'll need to build up the courage to go to societies etc.
So I went to the hospital two nights ago for an emergency appointment because I was in a real state (anxious and angry and feeling really out of control) - the doctor's solution was to try to make me take diazepam - I refused, and I'm glad I did since on researching she should never have offered it to me (past alcohol abuse/self harm/eating disorder/depression) and the possible side effects would be disastrous for me since at the minute I'm trying to study and get on top of my degree work. It makes me feel very distrustful and anxious about going back (I have a GP appt on Monday) - what should I tell them? This is all confused by the fact that I'm moving back and forth between England and NI all through the year and it's going to be basically impossible to get any consistent treatment and I'm probably going to end up having to waste a lot of my time.
Reply 6092

Hey,
two years ago I got my AS results, CCEEE. They were awful, and after being a straight A student all my life, I was gutted and just believed my life was over. I made the decision to resit the year with different subjects and although it was hard at the time, and I hated it, it turned out to be the best decision I have ever made. I got AAAAB at AS second time round and have just received my A level results, straight A's, and will be attending Durham University. It is possible. Don't give up and don't put yourself down. There are circumstances that mean everyone can struggle, especially with things like exams and university, when part of many of our conditions is that we struggle with motivation etc. Good luck for the future, I'm sure you can do it :smile:
Reply 6093
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Sorry to hear it James :hugs: Nothing worse than when the feeling of melancholia just hits you like a steamroller although I normally find it's something you can distract yourself from so hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Thanks. I've dragged myself outside for a walk to calm down a bit. Was getting agitated.

Hope you find a way to overcome your anxiety. I used to be like that but got involved in sports clubs and met people through them and we ended up bonding and doing our own stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really on a self hatred mission today :frown:
Really hate my hair
And my body
And my spots :frown:

Dont even know where it came from :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6095
Original post by 08batee

That sounds great :smile: I live quite close to the coast really, I have no excuse. I just don't like driving very much I suppose so tend to stay around the local areas :colondollar: Thanks so much for the PM. I appreciate it. :hugs: I need to do something now but I'll reply in a little bit :smile: :hugs:

if you don't feel up for something like that, then it's fine :smile: No worries about the pm :h: Yeah sure, there's no rush in you doing a reply honest :hugs:
I hope you're having a great day today :hugs:
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

Right so seeing this is my first time in this thread I may word myself weirdly and ramble but here we go. Basically growing up I was a pretty alienated kid, got bullied a bit during primary school, had a teacher who always had a go at me, I was sick pretty much everyday (turned out I had a bad stomach ulcer) and got to the point where as soon as I walked into school I would breakdown crying. Rather weirdly the Doctor actually said I needed to be taken out so I was homeschooled until college. I did use to have really awful social anxiety but that's mostly gone now (feel pretty proud there) but after everything that's happened I pretty much have no self-esteem whatsoever. I don't really show it but every time i'm asked to do something I get really anxious and think I won't be able to no matter how simple or difficult the task is which is really going to mess me up at Uni and i'm getting worried that I won't make the most of my time there. Add to that my deathly fear of making an idiot of myself it makes life rather stressful :/

It wouldn't be so bad but my parents are so overprotective that they won't even let me go out by myself and want to take me to Uni everyday as i'm living in (Caring duties, financial reasons etc) but it's just getting ridiculous, how am I supposed to have confidence in myself if I can't even take a bus? I've talked to them about it but mum especially won't hear of it although i've convinced them to let me make my own way back after uni which is something. I'm just really worried that then when I start placement (i'm doing MH nursing) i'm just going to be so nervous I completely flop it.

Sooo yeah, basically does anyone have any advice on how to build up self-esteem? And possible how to be more outgoing? I'm a fairly solitary creature and that doesn't bother me (i'm planning on making the library my second home there :^_^:) but if i'm going to finally make friends who enjoy the same things I like then i'll need to build up the courage to go to societies etc.

Well hello there! :hi:

It sounds like you could benefit from cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), which would help you realise the "logic" behind your thought processes (e.g. why you think you'll fail every task, however simple). Once you've identified that logic, you can begin to unwind it :yes:

:hugs:
Reply 6097
Really on a self hatred mission today :frown:
Really hate my hair
And my body
And my spots :frown:

Dont even know where it came from :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate those days. I stay away from the mirror at all costs when I'm like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate those days. I stay away from the mirror at all costs when I'm like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately i have to cook tea and theres a mirror next to the kitchen door, theres also a mirror when i walk into my bedroom and a direct hit of a mirror when i come out of my room :frown:
Hoping the veg stirfry im making will help :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6099
Unfortunately i have to cook tea and theres a mirror next to the kitchen door, theres also a mirror when i walk into my bedroom and a direct hit of a mirror when i come out of my room :frown:
Hoping the veg stirfry im making will help :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anything that makes me feel healthy to eat always does a good job foaming me feel better.

I swear mirrors are a curse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest