The Student Room Group

Why do women read women's magazines?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by yepyepyep
Maybe you just have unwaveringly high self esteem. I expect most kids who were ostracised in such a way would start to think there was something wrong with them.

You just get to a point where you think stuff what everyone else thinks :biggrin:
Original post by Ripper-Roo
You just get to a point where you think stuff what everyone else thinks :biggrin:

Good.:laugh:
Every time I see your posts I wonder how you have red gems, I agree with pretty much everything you write.
I think the reason I never felt the pressure of women's appearances/sizes was because my main friends as a child were boys. My brother was the main person I hang with. We played with mainly boyish things like toy cars and we had fights where the winner was somehow considered intrinsically better simply for their superior physical strength.

So considering my main influence was of boy-things, I considered "strength" and being "macho" more important than fulfilling a certain standard of appearances. Of course as I grew older I became more feminine (mainly because of my primitive family's sexist gender expectations where I was forced to wear skirts and stay at home, cook, clean, and look after the younger children while my brothers were out playing sports and encouraged to be "men"), but becoming more "feminine" didn't increase the social pressure that most other girls seemed to have because I already had a different culture with different set of standards ingrained in me.
Reply 43
Original post by yepyepyep
Good.:laugh:
Every time I see your posts I wonder how you have red gems, I agree with pretty much everything you write.

Thank you! It's because a few weeks ago some comments I made had lots of red negs, and maybe the people who neg me have stronger rep power? :dontknow: I see you around too and like your posts :smile:
Thank you! It's because a few weeks ago some comments I made had lots of red negs, and maybe the people who neg me have stronger rep power? :dontknow: I see you around too and like your posts :smile:

Don't worry about it, there's more to a person than their negs.:cool:
Reply 45
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Yeah. It's really stupid. I never even realised until recently. Who gives a ****? I've only ever noticed it a couple of times and thought " my legs look funny' and that's it :lol:

Give yourself knock knees, pile on a hundred pounds and see if you still feel the same way.
Yes.
Original post by Foo.mp3
It's more of a female trait, they tend to fret more than we do/are more emotional creatures (sorry feminists but it's true, see neuro/behavioural science)

Also guys tend to be more concerned with doing, than over-thinking. In general we are less introspective, more bullish, creatures by default

You can have goals/aspirations without obsessing over the minutiae of life/questioning your own value because of some crap you read in a glossy mag..

I don't know, I see a lot of guys who get preoccupied with improving things/themself e.g. building muscle or having better academic performance. They do tend to focus on less trivial matters though, I think you're right there.
It does seem very odd to continue to read women's magazines and the like, I don't understand why some girls trawl through pictures of thinspo when, like you say, they could be exercising instead and actually doing something productive. It's like they set themselves up for disappointment and then worsen it by returning to the pictures that caused their dissatisfaction in the first place. Obviously some do things though, otherwise there wouldn't be such a problem with girls having eating disorders. It's a shame more of them can't get the right balance between doing something to spur change and getting unhealthily obsessed.
Original post by im so academic
Yes.

You really probably aren't that bad. I know it's a cliche but there will be someone who likes the way you look regardless of how munted you are. I've seen some shockingly ugly girls- and I mean really ugly, like the sort that cause you to flinch when you look at them- get plenty of male attention.
Reply 49

Indeed you do :biggrin:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Mental trauma burns cals too :awesome:

Faintly masochistic right? Also sense that some of them secretly get off on whining/nagging, but perhaps that's just me :h:

Indeed it is, but the good news is most grow out of it and get a grip in the end, it's partly a phasic/developmental ting :smile:

I think some people just have particularly self destructive attitudes in their teen years.:dontknow: I wouldn't want to imply that all eating disorders stem from a desire for attention but I suspect that may play a role in the development of a few of them. There's probably a multitude of reasons behind it. I wouldn't really care to find out.
Reply 51
All magazines are thrash.

Gey all your infi by thoroughly searching in the internet.

I'm still surprised such magazines are still in circulation considering the wealth of information on the internet.
Reply 52
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I see so many posts on here about women feeling pressuered to look like celebrities, be a certain size, have thigh gaps, have big boobs, have a big ass, etc. Ive never felt this pressure. I started looking at the difference, wondering why I hadn't, and the big conclusion I've come to is I don't read, and have never really read, women's magazines. I've never been interested in celebrities and have pretty much ignored the female media industry as well as reality TV. And as a result, I've never felt pressured to look a certain way. I've always liked my body, and been happy with how I looked. I didn't even realise thigh gaps, which I have, were a thing until recently. In fact I thought I had "funny legs' because of it.

But my point is, why do women buy into something so damaging? I find it weird when people say "I feel pressured to look a certain way', I mean, why not just not read it? Unless you're morbidly obese or anorexically skinny, you will be attractive to someone. Stop worrying.

I just don't get why people are so bothered by something which ends up leading them to hate themselves!

I've concurred with this point for a long time. Women's mags are far more objectifying, degrading, and psychologically damaging than those of men.

Quick Reply

Latest