The Student Room Group

History of Art A level - worth it?

I am going to study Fine Art at university and am currently starting sixth form where I am planning to choose art and design, English language and Literature, maths, media studies and is it worth it to choose history of art as a fifth subject? How is it looked at by universities?
Art and Design and a good portfolio/good skills is all you really need. History of Art is useful but not at all beneficial.

Architecture at Cambridge will think highly of this but that's pretty much it, other than that other universities and other Art courses it will be thought nothing of.
I think it'd be a great thing to study along side art. When I was studying graphics, in my first year they made us do 2 modules of 'contextual studies' which was basically the history of Modernist art. I can't speak for everyone but I know what I learned was influential to my work and it's always interesting to know how and where things originated when you learn about and experiment with techniques.
However, I am biased seeing as I now study History of Art.
Thanks so much for the advice, you guys. It's just that I never planned on choosing more than 4 good subjects but then I came across media studies and i really, really wanna do it but I think it'd be good for me if I took another important subject. What do you guys suggest I choose?
Original post by n1mra
Thanks so much for the advice, you guys. It's just that I never planned on choosing more than 4 good subjects but then I came across media studies and i really, really wanna do it but I think it'd be good for me if I took another important subject. What do you guys suggest I choose?

I think whichever one you choose it won't really make a difference. It's your 4th subject, so it doesn't really have to be an important subject.

If you know you'll enjoy Media, do it. :smile:
Original post by yellowcopter
I think whichever one you choose it won't really make a difference. It's your 4th subject, so it doesn't really have to be an important subject.

If you know you'll enjoy Media, do it. :smile:

Hmm. Alright, thank you so much. :smile:
I am currently studying history of art, art and english literature (dropped philosophy) and I'd say that history of art really does complement with art, especially when it comes to personal investigation, etc. The stuff you learn really gets you into depth the techniques and identify the meaning of paintings... i absolutely love it and since i'm doing the pre-u course.. it is very much in detail. I'd say that it's entirely up to you but history of art is actually seen as an important subject, albeit not as relevant as the facilitating subject but it unis do indeed regard it (just bear that in mind) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest