The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WannaGetAnA
I don't want to seem stupid, but I have no idea what paleoanthropology is..?

Paleontology + Anthropology :eek:

Sounds very... Specific.
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Sounds very... Specific.

Haha, thank you! What do you want to study at uni?
Reply 602
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Its not available on mobile unfortunately http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCjLSe6R9e4

Do you think? Chemistry is quite different to maths :tongue: he hates maths as well :eek:

Don't worry I'm on my computer. You my everything sounds great :biggrin: I never actually knew it was a whole next album I thought it was a re-release really :biggrin:

I suppose it is but most sciences themselves interested me a lot at GCSE, only reason I didn't take them is because at GCSE I was with retards who wanted to fail everything and so I got a B and C respectively in foundation
Haha, thank you! What do you want to study at uni?

Note: I'm going into Year 12 this year:smile:

:erm: at the moment it's chemistry of some sort with a language:biggrin: (French)
Original post by Robbie242
Don't worry I'm on my computer. You my everything sounds great :biggrin: I never actually knew it was a whole next album I thought it was a re-release really :biggrin:

I suppose it is but most sciences themselves interested me a lot at GCSE, only reason I didn't take them is because at GCSE I was with retards who wanted to fail everything and so I got a B and C respectively in foundation

It is a re-release :smile: her new album will have ~25 songs now which is pretty cool, deluxe considerably more.

I hated GCSE sciences so much, and I chose triple. Tut tut, you shouldn't let others influence your attitude :tongue: B and C is still good, especially for foundation.
you guys have got Ellie Goulding stuck in my head aaaargh

I'm leaving in an hour to go to Sutton Trust summer school :biggrin:
Those of you applying for science, what extra reading have you done? Any recommendations? :smile:
Reply 607
It is a re-release :smile: her new album will have ~25 songs now which is pretty cool, deluxe considerably more.

I hated GCSE sciences so much, and I chose triple. Tut tut, you shouldn't let others influence your attitude :tongue: B and C is still good, especially for foundation.

Oh I see! awesome, my first assumption was correct :tongue:

Yeah true, its just a shame I had to do history instead of physics haha, at least I did well in history (thought it was gonna be a C or B )
I don't want to seem stupid, but I have no idea what paleoanthropology is..?

Haha you don't seem stupid at all, I'd have no clue if I hadn't looked into it! It's just the study of primates using fossils etc :smile: I have...weird interests :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ethery
you guys have got Ellie Goulding stuck in my head aaaargh

I'm leaving in an hour to go to Sutton Trust summer school :biggrin:

You're welcome :wink::smile:
Good luck! And I hope you enjoy it! Which uni are you going to?
Original post by Robbie242
Oh I see! awesome, my first assumption was correct :tongue:

Yeah true, its just a shame I had to do history instead of physics haha, at least I did well in history (thought it was gonna be a C or B )

Yep :yep:

As true as that is, you did great in history, and you get to drop it as an A
(edited 10 years ago)

Sounds very... Specific.

Haha yes! I'm so strange in what I like :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome :wink::smile:
Good luck! And I hope you enjoy it! Which uni are you going to?

I just don't like her new stuff, it's too poppy :frown: I miss acoustic Ellie!

Cambridge! The only time I'll ever be there, so better make the most of it~

See you guys on Friday! :biggrin:
Original post by Lucy96
Haha yes! I'm so strange in what I like :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to give my opinion now :tongue: sorry, if you don't like it.

I think you should think very carefully about what you are doing now. It's not a decision you want to rush and then blow £27k on.

You seem quite unsure of what to do, and I think resitting chem and perhaps another A Level over two years (so finish A2s in Year 13 with Chem AS, then Chem A2 and another whole A2 fast track in a relevant subject you enjoy in yr14) or even 2 AS in yr13 while finishing A2 and then yr14 do the 2 A2s and build up work experience and that

Then apply then, when you already have A2s and are awaiting some more. Then you:

1) Know where you stand
2) might have introduction of similar courses at other unis
3) Can build experience up for a more competitive application

Does that at all appeal to you?:colondollar:
Original post by ethery
I just don't like her new stuff, it's too poppy :frown: I miss acoustic Ellie!

Cambridge! The only time I'll ever be there, so better make the most of it~

See you guys on Friday! :biggrin:

Aww, well I'm sure upcoming stuff will be more Ellie, I completely get what you mean though. I just like how she suits loads of different styles and stuff

Oh wow, yeah, defo enjoy it, although I'm sure you could eventually get there next year.

Edit: got Cambridge and Oxford mixed up :rofl::lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm going to give my opinion now :tongue: sorry, if you don't like it.

I think you should think very carefully about what you are doing now. It's not a decision you want to rush and then blow £27k on.

You seem quite unsure of what to do, and I think resitting chem and perhaps another A Level over two years (so finish A2s in Year 13 with Chem AS, then Chem A2 and another whole A2 fast track in a relevant subject you enjoy in yr14) or even 2 AS in yr13 while finishing A2 and then yr14 do the 2 A2s and build up work experience and that

Then apply then, when you already have A2s and are awaiting some more. Then you:

1) Know where you stand
2) might have introduction of similar courses at other unis
3) Can build experience up for a more competitive application

Does that at all appeal to you?:colondollar:

I've considered this type of career my entire life, I've always been fascinated by it, so although it looks like I've randomly chosen something, it has stemmed from somewhere haha :tongue:

As for resitting chemistry, I'd really rather not. I really hate the subject, I spent lessons depressed at how much I hated it, I had no motivation for it at all, hence why my revision consisted of night before revision just in the hope that I'd at least pass :tongue: I honestly couldn't do it. Plus I don't want to have to do the exams alongside my A2 exams, as I'm evidently not that great at it and so the amount of time I'd have to spend on it could really affect my other grades :frown:

I'd rather not do an extra year either, as much as I like my college, the thought of having to do another year there depresses me, I'd probably have no friends :wink:

I see where you're coming from, and I really do appreciate the advice, but I know what I'm getting myself in to :tongue: sure, I've chosen a more usual career path, but if people are archaeologists, primatologists etc, why can't I be if I work towards it? I know I'll really enjoy the degree, and that'll motivate me to do better! Even if I end up as a teacher, I won't mind :smile: I'm not bothered about being rich, as long as I'm financially comfortable, I'll be fine :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
I've considered this type of career my entire life, I've always been fascinated by it, so although it looks like I've randomly chosen something, it has stemmed from somewhere haha :tongue:

As for resitting chemistry, I'd really rather not. I really hate the subject, I spent lessons depressed at how much I hated it, I had no motivation for it at all, hence why my revision consisted of night before revision just in the hope that I'd at least pass :tongue: I honestly couldn't do it. Plus I don't want to have to do the exams alongside my A2 exams, as I'm evidently not that great at it and so the amount of time I'd have to spend on it could really affect my other grades :frown:

I'd rather not do an extra year either, as much as I like my college, the thought of having to do another year there depresses me, I'd probably have no friends :wink:

I see where you're coming from, and I really do appreciate the advice, but I know what I'm getting myself in to :tongue: sure, I've chosen a more usual career path, but if people are archaeologists, primatologists etc, why can't I be if I work towards it? I know I'll really enjoy the degree, and that'll motivate me to do better! Even if I end up as a teacher, I won't mind :smile: I'm not bothered about being rich, as long as I'm financially comfortable, I'll be fine :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well as long as you've thought about it!:yy:

Best of luck :smile:
Well as long as you've thought about it!:yy:

Best of luck :smile:

I have, don't worry about me failing in life hehe :wink:

It's just difficult when you're not that great at anything :tongue: Thank you :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
I have, don't worry about me failing in life hehe :wink:

It's just difficult when you're not that great at anything :tongue: Thank you :smile:

:mmm: if all goes tits up, you'll have benefits:teehee:

I know what you mean, I think I'm good at loads of different things but I'm not great/amazing at one :frown:
Prsom :frown: I'll defo have to rep you when I get to :smile:

Aww cute :tongue:
:mmm: if all goes tits up, you'll have benefits:teehee:

I know what you mean, I think I'm good at loads of different things but I'm not great/amazing at one :frown:

Exactly! :wink:

Don't be silly, you're amazing at many things! Pretty much everything you do, you're exceptional at :tongue: Even if you don't think you are, you've got a lot of skills and that's surely impressive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usycool1
Information you may wish to add:
What course you're going to apply for.
Your AS subjects (and grades if you like).
Your A2 subjects (and predicted/actual grades if you want to).
What universities you're thinking of applying to and their decisions (when it comes to that).

Course: Aerospace Engineering
AS Subjects: Maths (A), Physics (A), Geography (B), Chemistry (C)
A2 Subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry
Universities: Bath, Bristol, Sheffield, Brunel, Loughborough

====================

I am still very annoyed with the C in chemistry though, really do have a personal hate towards OCR.

Thankfully i am a Welsh Student, so i may get offers that include the Welsh Baccalaureate, although my main ambition for Bath, would want AAA+P, which looks highly unlikely with that Chemistry grade.

Bristol offers are typically A*A+P which helps because it means Chemistry becomes out of the equation, but then i would need to really focus in Maths where at the moment i am on course for a predicted A* grade.

Sheffield, Loughborough and Brunel are typically AA+P, so again, chemistry no longer becomes a big issue.

So now i ponder whether to go for Bath or not, whether to stick my head down and try to buckle OCR, or whether it would be possible to do Further Maths and aim for the A there (my natural gift lies with maths - although would be a lot of work within a year).

Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Latest