The Student Room Group

Advice on nose piercing

Hello guys, since the last month I've been seriously thinking of doing a nose piercing. However, I really hate studs and I would like to use a ring from the first time. Does anyone know, but for sure, if this is possible? Also, if yes do y know if I can pierce my nose with the smallest ring in diameter as my parents and bf really struggled even to let me have it so I am sure it will be a problem if the ring is bigger than the smallest size.. besides I don't like it big as well..
I wouldn't get pierced with a ring...it will heal with a curve and is more likely to be knocked/moved. Most places will pierce you with a stud im afraid. You can change it after about 6-12 weeks though.
I had my nose pierced with a ring! But by the way, they are really prone to keloids (like big bumps) which can lead to scar tissue - consider that.
Reply 3
you can't get it pierced with a ring, you would have to have a stud for 6 weeks then change it to a ring.

smallest stud - 1.5mm
smallest ring - 6.4mm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I got a stud and mine healed really quickly (about 4 weeks)
I 100% read the title as "Advice on nose picking" I wondered wtf I'd find inside!
Reply 6
Ive been told its best to piece with a hoop! Cause with a stud bacteria can get stuck underneath a stud, a hoop is easier to clean..
However I got pierced with a stud, I prefer studs.. But most places recommend a hoop
By the way nose piercings can be a painnn!!

xx
Reply 7
Place near me recommends piercing with a stud. I had my nose pierced with a stud and it was healing fine and I knocked it out in a swimming pool, once it healed I got it re-pierced but with a ring/hoop and it healed badly because I kept knocking it in my sleep so I had to remove it. I now have no nose piercing.
Original post by xhabiba
Ive been told its best to piece with a hoop! Cause with a stud bacteria can get stuck underneath a stud, a hoop is easier to clean..
However I got pierced with a stud, I prefer studs.. But most places recommend a hoop

xx

... Really?! I've never heard of anywhere recommending a hoop for any new piercing tbh. Bacteria won't get stuck behind the stud because, for a start, a nose stud isn't anything like an ear stud and there isn't really anything for it to get stuck under. A ring is not the best thing to have, it makes healing a bitch (much more likely to get bumps/keloids) and also makes it very hard to get studs in at a later date if the person so wishes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I don't actually have my nose pierced, but from what other people have told me & what I've learnt from my experience with cartilage piercings, studs generally heal better.
I had the top of my ear pierced with a titanium hoop and it wouldn't heal, so after a couple of months I went back to the piercer and had a bar put in & they told me that hoops tend to cause more problems because of moving around more and the hole being curved not straight!
I'm planning on getting my nose done soon & everyone's recommended getting it with a stud. You can change it fairly soon after though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
... Really?! I've never heard of anywhere recommending a hoop for any new piercing tbh. Bacteria won't get stuck behind the stud because, for a start, a nose stud isn't anything like an ear stud and there isn't really anything for it to get stuck under. A ring is not the best thing to have, it makes healing a bitch (much more likely to get bumps/keloids) and also makes it very hard to get studs in at a later date if the person so wishes.

Thats weird cause I've always been told that hoops are better, Ive had my nose pierced three times and every time I asked for a stud they told me a hoop is better and heals quicker..
I've also had loads of problems with my piercing, I get ALOT of bumps even though I look after it.. But I think its cause my body isnt a fan of cartilage piercings haha :tongue:
Reply 11
I got mine pierced with a ring however they do it with a needle and mine hurt like a bitch. I've had numerous piercings and that one hurt the most. I've had 0 problems and it's basically healed after less than 3 weeks. :smile: It doesn't get caught on anything. Blowing your nose is a bit tricky. What else.. oh yeah haha this is probably silly but when kissing - avoid bumping noses on the side where you're hoop is since it can get pushed out. It looks lovely though and I just love mine. :biggrin:
Original post by vasoula
Hello guys, since the last month I've been seriously thinking of doing a nose piercing. However, I really hate studs and I would like to use a ring from the first time. Does anyone know, but for sure, if this is possible? Also, if yes do y know if I can pierce my nose with the smallest ring in diameter as my parents and bf really struggled even to let me have it so I am sure it will be a problem if the ring is bigger than the smallest size.. besides I don't like it big as well..

you need to wear a stud for the first month or so otherwise the wound track heals in an arched shape (that makes it hard to change the ring)

after that you can wear a ring as often as wanted without damage or problems

there are many different sizes - gun piercings are the smallest but by no means the safest, a needle piercing will be larger at first but can be shrunk by wearing smaller sizes (the newer it is the quicker and easier it will reduce in size) I had mine for 3/4 years wearing a large Gage ring, after removing the ring the hole shrunk but I can still wear wires rings and studs even though I havnt really worn anything for 2 years, I too hate studs and my body tends to grow over studs but the bar used is so large it cant be engulfed, its easy to move and clean but doesn't get caught or pulled and is threaded well so wont fall out after that the ring works fine, unlike lip piercing in which I personally believe a ring is better due to less chance of being lost in the swelling

good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by xhabiba

xx

completely incorrect... please dont give advice if you dont know the subject
Hey just thought I'd add that when I had my nose pierced (about 4 or 5 months ago) I was asked if I'd prefer a ring or a stud - so I'm assuming he would have given me a ring if I'd asked for it, but he didn't seem too enthusiastic about them, and said that studs always heal better.

I was also advised to keep it in for at least 3 months, not the 6 weeks that lots of people seem to be talking about - noses take a long time to heal and need looking after very carefully because their position leaves them very open to bacteria and gunk getting in the way. He said that even if it feels healed, it probably won't be, and it's when you start faffing about with it, changing it before it's ready that many people get infections, bumps and scars - apparently it's very unusual for anything to go wrong or for it to leave any nasty scars if you have it done properly, don't touch it unnecessarily or with unsanitised hands, clean it regularly (I did twice a day with saline solution for about 6 weeks, then only once a day for a while) and make sure it's got proper jewellery in it! If you look after it properly to start with then you'll have a nice hole for you to do whatever you like with afterwards, there's nothing worse than a ring in a hole that looks like it's coming out of a wart!

Also, side note - I understand your parents, but permission from your boyfriend!? It's your body, not his!

Good luck with your piercing, they're lots of fun!
I have my nose pierced and if I'm honest with you no matter if you get a hoop or a ring normally they get stuck, I can't take mine out Iv tried everything (cutting the top off eg)

Quick Reply

Latest