The Student Room Group

5 AS Levels - Is it worth it?

Doing maths chemistry physics biology and then further maths externally at just AS level. Would the dumbing down of my other grades be worth the extra qualification? and for people who have done it how have they found it? how many hours were you putting in overall every week on average also, thank you :colone:

Scroll to see replies

Why would you do it when you don't have to? Take 4 if you want an extra one to make your application look better, but I really don't see the reasoning for taking 5. You'll have far fewer free periods, more work, more stress, more exams, for the same outcome as someone taking 3 or 4.
Reply 2
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Why would you do it when you don't have to? Take 4 if you want an extra one to make your application look better, but I really don't see the reasoning for taking 5. You'll have far fewer free periods, more work, more stress, more exams, for the same outcome as someone taking 3 or 4.

so 5 wouldn't, necessarily, make for a stronger application to a top uni?
Original post by pathosL
so 5 wouldn't, necessarily, make for a stronger application to a top uni?

No. Taking 3, 4 at the most, and doing them well is the most important thing. AAAA will always look better than AAABC, for example.
I taught myself AS Government & Politics and I achieved an A today. It's definetely worth it if you enjoy the subject. I now have AABBC whereas before I would have had just ABBC.

If you enjoy independent learning, like I do, then certainly do it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by StartingTheParty
I taught myself AS Government & Politics and I achieved an A today. It's definetely worth it if you enjoy the subject. I now have AABBC whereas before I would have had just ABBC.

If you enjoy independent learning, like I do, then certainly do it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thinking about teaching myself as further maths
What you wanting to do at uni?
Reply 7
Original post by Scratchyjam
What you wanting to do at uni?

chemistry/natural sciences/medicine dont know yet
Reply 8
I am in EXACTLY the same boat as you... Doing the same as levels but can't decide whether to do further maths on top. I also what to do either chemistry/medicine/chemical engineering not quite sure yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Putting it bluntly: Nope

Putting is less bluntly: Nope, it'll affect your performance in other subjects. Universities only expect 3 A-Levels and 1 AS, so just do 4 with the intention of dropping one after your first year.

Edit: What do you intend to do at uni? DO you intend to go to uni?
Top universities only care you get good grades, not how many you did. If you think your other grades will suffer from doing a fifth AS then don't do it.

If you think you can cope, go right ahead! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by gracey11
I am in EXACTLY the same boat as you... Doing the same as levels but can't decide whether to do further maths on top. I also what to do either chemistry/medicine/chemical engineering not quite sure yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

damn we really are in the same boat, let me know what you choose to do
Reply 12
Original post by TauMuon
Putting it bluntly: Nope

Putting is less bluntly: Nope, it'll affect your performance in other subjects. Universities only expect 3 A-Levels and 1 AS, so just do 4 with the intention of dropping one after your first year.

Edit: What do you intend to do at uni? DO you intend to go to uni?

chemistry/natural sciences/medicine dont know yet
Reply 13
Original post by yellowcopter
Top universities only care you get good grades, not how many you did. If you think your other grades will suffer from doing a fifth AS then don't do it.

If you think you can cope, go right ahead! :smile:

i'm not really sure if i can cope but i think i can, maybe im underestimating a levels slightly. im puzzled really not sure what to do :s-smilie:
I self taught Further Maths this year and got an A. To be honest, there is no real benefit in terms of applications, I just did it because I wanted to learn further maths. If you want to do it for its own sake it's worth it,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn that posted before I'd finished :tongue: in answer to your other questions I spent around 4 hours a week on it, and I did find it hard. While I understood the concepts the past papers were very hard! Basically if you're a really good student and you don't think your other grades will suffer and you WANT to study it go for it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by pathosL
Doing maths chemistry physics biology and then further maths externally at just AS level. Would the dumbing down of my other grades be worth the extra qualification? and for people who have done it how have they found it? how many hours were you putting in overall every week on average also, thank you :colone:

I did your 5 AS levels (bar biology I did History instead) And honestly the further maths on top is not hard at all.

If anything its probably the easiest 5th subject to pick as it is just more maths, the same subject. And you learn things in further maths that make single maths easier :smile:

Like once you learn general solutions of trig equations in further you dont need to sit there working them out in C2, you have one equation that does it all for you :smile:

Also further maths can be useful, very useful for engineering and some top unis like you to have it :smile:

In terms of hours I didnt do a lot of 'extra work' I started revising properly like 3 weeks before the Jan exams and then about a month before the summer ones but besides that I just did the work I was given in class :smile: I had 23 hours and 20 minutes tuition a week in sixth form :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and IT.
From looking at what most uni's want i don't think its necessary, a lot of extra work which is likely to affect your other grades unless you are really good at maths!
Unless you want to study maths, then there is really no point in doing FM as the fifth.

For the courses you want to do, the top unis would usually ask for a mix of maths+2 other sciences or three sciences. As long as you have the big four at AS, your options for the courses you want to do are very good (provides you get the grades). I personally wouldn't bother doing the fifth.
If you think you could cope with the workload and that it wouldn't have a negative impact on your other grades, then go for it.
Education and Careers are about competing. You need to try to be the best. You need to try and get the most qualifications. You need to try and stand out above the rest. Give yourself every opportunity you can to get onto the course and university you want to. There's thousands of other applicants behind you, that extra AS grade might give you the slight advantage over them.

Take five, see how you cope for the first few weeks and if it's that much of a struggle, you can always drop it! But if you can cope, I'd say keep doing all of them.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest