The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

New, scared and desperate Romanian student needs help with Economics at UCL

Hello everyone! My name is George and I am from Romania. I have just finished the 11th grade at the best high school in Romania, at the best class, so at the best class in Romania.
I would like to study Economics, at, hopefully, one of the Top 5 UK universities. UCL with its Economics and Economics and Business with East European Studies is on my list. I am very scared and desperate and I am thinking about my future daily. What is to be done? Could you please help me with successful personal statements and useful pieces of advice?
Here is a part of the activities that I have already done:

Internships: 2 banks, 1 brokerage company + incoming 1 week internship at ICAP in London, in total 2 and a half months of Internships
Academic achievements: Participated in different stages of the National Mathematics Olympiad, National Physics Olympiad, 1st place at a National Physics contest in 2012 and 2013, Special Prize for excellent academic results from my high school in 2011 and 2013
Sports: I have played tennis as a professional for 5 years, I also play football basketball, etc
I also have voluntary work and I have worked as a bartender help for 1 month and for 2 months as a "worker" at a GSM Company

What do you think are my chances of getting admitted?

Thank you in advance for everything! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Firstly,you will present an impressive application therefore I say you have a very good chance

however it is to late to apply for a 2013 start it has to be 2014, are you aware of the application procedures?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Thank you very much, I hope you are right! Yes, I am 95% aware of all the application procedures. I will be applying this October, which means I want to start my studies in 2014. I've just finished the 11th grade, I have one more year to go.
How about you? What is your current status? Could you please help me with successful personal statements please?
You've been a tennis pro since you were 10/11?
Reply 4
I started playing professionally when I was 10 and I decided to quit when I was 16. Why?
Reply 5
Bump to the top!
Reply 6
Salut!

There is a PS Helper Service on TSR, otherwise there is Romanian and Moldovan Soc at UCL and maybe there'd be someone willing to help you. Other than that, you need to show interest in economics based on further reading, internships, school work, etc. It's allegedly very competitive, so you need to put in a lot of effort to secure a place.

Out of interest, how are school rankings in Romania calculated? :tongue:
Reply 7
What does "Soc" mean? Hmm, I will ask for the help of the PS helpers.
Well, there are factors which determine the ranking:
1. Romanian Baccalaureate Percentage of promotion in that high school
2. The average mark of the high school in the Romanian Baccalaureate

Furthermore, my class simply accepts the top 30 students in Romania who apply at it. The procedure is similar in the other classes and the competition becomes stronger and stronger every year which leads to an increase in the mark required in order to get into those classes. This way, the last successful average mark rises every year and now my college has the highest admission marks in different classes (Maths and Computer Science, Social Sciences, Nature's sciences, etc).
Reply 8
Original post by ^ForTheDream^
What does "Soc" mean? Hmm, I will ask for the help of the PS helpers.
Well, there are factors which determine the ranking:
1. Romanian Baccalaureate Percentage of promotion in that high school
2. The average mark of the high school in the Romanian Baccalaureate

Furthermore, my class simply accepts the top 30 students in Romania who apply at it. The procedure is similar in the other classes and the competition becomes stronger and stronger every year which leads to an increase in the mark required in order to get into those classes. This way, the last successful average mark rises every year and now my college has the highest admission marks in different classes (Maths and Computer Science, Social Sciences, Nature's sciences, etc).

Soc = society :wink:
Reply 9
Oh, right! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by ^ForTheDream^
Hello everyone! My name is George and I am from Romania. I have just finished the 11th grade at the best high school in Romania, at the best class, so at the best class in Romania.
I would like to study Economics, at, hopefully, one of the Top 5 UK universities. UCL with its Economics and Economics and Business with East European Studies is on my list. I am very scared and desperate and I am thinking about my future daily. What is to be done? Could you please help me with successful personal statements and useful pieces of advice?
Here is a part of the activities that I have already done:

Internships: 2 banks, 1 brokerage company + incoming 1 week internship at ICAP in London, in total 2 and a half months of Internships
Academic achievements: Participated in different stages of the National Mathematics Olympiad, National Physics Olympiad, 1st place at a National Physics contest in 2012 and 2013, Special Prize for excellent academic results from my high school in 2011 and 2013
Sports: I have played tennis as a professional for 5 years, I also play football basketball, etc
I also have voluntary work and I have worked as a bartender help for 1 month and for 2 months as a "worker" at a GSM Company

What do you think are my chances of getting admitted?

Thank you in advance for everything! :smile:

Salut George.

I am not quite in your situation since I came in England before starting my 11th grade in Romania, but I have known others trying to apply for university in England.
I think the best thing you can do, apart from concentrating on your bac is to speak directly with the uni ( like UCL) when you have a problem.
There are lots of personal statement examples sorted by subject which you can use if you haven't already seen them. The way you outlined your achievements is exactly the order you should write them in your personal statement. You have a very impressive educational history. I think all you need to do is be very firm and natural in any conversation you have with the uni.
Since you know 95% of the application progress you must know about UCAS. It is probably the best way to apply, but it is not the only one. If UCL says you can apply directly through them, then... get in touch with them.
Don't forget about the money. You can apply to student finance EU, which will cover your tuition fee, but you are not entitled ( as far as I know) to any maintenance grant or loan.
I am not sure what to add, so if you need anything else ask. I should have probably present myself first :smile:) I am Dumitra, student at UCL Natural Science, freshman.
I hope everything goes well with you and I'll see you next year!
Original post by dumitra
Salut George.

I am not quite in your situation since I came in England before starting my 11th grade in Romania, but I have known others trying to apply for university in England.
I think the best thing you can do, apart from concentrating on your bac is to speak directly with the uni ( like UCL) when you have a problem.
There are lots of personal statement examples sorted by subject which you can use if you haven't already seen them. The way you outlined your achievements is exactly the order you should write them in your personal statement. You have a very impressive educational history. I think all you need to do is be very firm and natural in any conversation you have with the uni.
Since you know 95% of the application progress you must know about UCAS. It is probably the best way to apply, but it is not the only one. If UCL says you can apply directly through them, then... get in touch with them.
Don't forget about the money. You can apply to student finance EU, which will cover your tuition fee, but you are not entitled ( as far as I know) to any maintenance grant or loan.
I am not sure what to add, so if you need anything else ask. I should have probably present myself first :smile:) I am Dumitra, student at UCL Natural Science, freshman.
I hope everything goes well with you and I'll see you next year!

Thank you very much for your help dumitra! I've been away and couldn't reply earlier. Good luck! I hope I get an offer from UCL as well. :biggrin:
Reply 12
cu placere ! ( meaning you're welcome)
Original post by Ivanka
Salut!

There is a PS Helper Service on TSR, otherwise there is Romanian and Moldovan Soc at UCL and maybe there'd be someone willing to help you. Other than that, you need to show interest in economics based on further reading, internships, school work, etc. It's allegedly very competitive, so you need to put in a lot of effort to secure a place.

Out of interest, how are school rankings in Romania calculated? :tongue:

How can I get in touch with somebody from that Soc? My situation is quite different, I'm studying in UK but it would be very informative to talk with somebody from a similar cultural background who got into UCL, cheers.
Reply 14
Original post by Blackfyre
How can I get in touch with somebody from that Soc? My situation is quite different, I'm studying in UK but it would be very informative to talk with somebody from a similar cultural background who got into UCL, cheers.

follow this link : http://uclu.org/clubs-societies/romanian-moldovan-society
[h="2"]Romanian & Moldovan Society[/h]

President: Alexandra Bogatu

Treasurer: Sergiu Bjola

Email: [email protected]

maybe that helps.
Reply 15
Original post by Blackfyre

I think we are in the same situation. I finished my A-level in UK, but I am from Romania. Just got a place at UCL this year.
Original post by dumitra
I think we are in the same situation. I finished my A-level in UK, but I am from Romania. Just got a place at UCL this year.

That's great, I am not that proud of my results. I got AABCC, however, UCL requirements for the courses I like are AAA-AAB. I wanted to find out, if I drop 2 subjects and stay with three, I am quite sure that I can get A*A*A, are they still going to pay attention to the two Cs from AS level?

I might even take 4 subjects next year but the maximum I can achieve is A*A*AB, can I get into a course that requires AAA-AAB?
Reply 17
Hmm. I don't know what A-levels are you doing, but....
I had 5 subject as well. I dropped 1, but all my teachers advised me to drop 2. There is not official, but all the teachers have a good impression about students finishing 4 a-levels. you show that you're more prepared.

I was so sure I can get A*A*A too, but A2 is harder than expected. They will not take into account the Cs unless they are relevant to the course. You can't apply to medicine with C in chemistry. I'm very sure that the C s are not important for them. they concentrate on your best results, in your case AAB. Which is very good. Congratulations!

The AS results are not the only important part in your application. I finished with AAB too ( my best results), but what got me into UCL is the personal statement and the good references from my teachers.
If I would know more about the course you are applying to, maybe I can tell you more.

And, of course, you can finish with A*A*AB and get into that course. I know in Romania is easy to get a 9 or 10, but here ... an A* is very very good.
Good luck!
Reply 18
I have to say you don't have to be scared at all, but I do because I just read your first post and I'm also applying for 2014 entry. I can only say I wouldn't want my resume to be read after yours :biggrin:
You know we're doing it wrong when Romanians can demonstrate a better grasp of the English language then most people from the UK can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending