The Student Room Group

the way I could start Phd

Hello guys. I have some questions to ask. I'm an international student and studying master. I've failed some courses and taken some resits. Although the results have not revealed, I'm sure I will fail 2 modulus.

now let's assume that with those 2 failure my average is above 50, do university offer me to re-sit again next summer or not?because I have seen some students who were taking the re-sit exam for the third or fourth time.

if my average below 50, what will happen?
-----------
now let's say, you were saying that i will be awarded as post graduate diploma,

so does that mean my project would not mention in my transcript or I couldn't do it?

and finally, is there any way (I mean any way except repeating the master), that I could start Phd?
like asking to do one year research and then see if I'm eligible to do Phd or I don't know

Thanks
Unless you have substantial non-academic experience, you will not be able to study for a PhD with only a postgraduate diploma, and you will struggle to get onto a decent PhD program with such a poor academic record.

Your various module results will show up on your transcript, and if you get a postgraduate diploma that will tell its own story.

Since you are struggling to complete an MA, why are you contemplating doing a PhD? Time to end the academic study and try something different.
Reply 2
Original post by maarshaal2003
Hello guys. I have some questions to ask. I'm an international student and studying master. I've failed some courses and taken some resits. Although the results have not revealed, I'm sure I will fail 2 modulus.

now let's assume that with those 2 failure my average is above 50, do university offer me to re-sit again next summer or not?because I have seen some students who were taking the re-sit exam for the third or fourth time.

if my average below 50, what will happen?
-----------
now let's say, you were saying that i will be awarded as post graduate diploma,

so does that mean my project would not mention in my transcript or I couldn't do it?

and finally, is there any way (I mean any way except repeating the master), that I could start Phd?
like asking to do one year research and then see if I'm eligible to do Phd or I don't know

Thanks

How many times you can resit depends on uni policy. When I did masters the regulations were you could only resit two modules maximum and only once each.

If you average under 50%, you will fail.

I agree with nonswimmer that with your transcript you will struggle to get accepted onto a PhD, even if you pass the masters.
If you got a first in your undergraduate, then maybe. But to be an academic you really ought to be good at academia if that makes sense.
You would certainly struggle to get a funded phD
Reply 4
well, thanks guys for the reply
the reason that i want to continue is that
I couldn't choose the subject that i Love to for my master because I have applied late
so I chose something relative but not my favorite.

so it is useless to do my project,right?
Original post by maarshaal2003
so it is useless to do my project,right?

Not sure what you mean by 'project' - presumably final dissertation?

It's never useless to complete a degree, the mark gained from your final project will help you to leave with some kind of qualification, and who knows you could do surprisingly well and end up with a better qualification than you expected.

A postgraduate diploma isn't useless, on your CV it will account for how you spent the time studying. And if it's in a subject relevant to the employment you want to get, then employers will be impressed by it. It's just not much use for a PhD.

Don't give up on this qualification, but think very carefully about whether it's in your best interests to attempt the next level up!
Reply 6
Original post by nonswimmer

Don't give up on this qualification, but think very carefully about whether it's in your best interests to attempt the next level up!

I agree with the above. A qualification isn't a waste of time, but a PhD is a very big commitment and is hard even for the brightest students.

If - and this seems like a very big if - you do exceptionally well on your dissertation, and show that you have an aptitude for research then you might be able to circumvent your bad coursework results to a point.

As for the resit question, you will have to ask your own university as each have different policies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending