The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Got a question, did anyone get their History AS (i think the board was edexcel :/) Unit 2 on Post War Britain remarked? If so, did it go up? I got mine done and it stayed EXACTLY THE SAME -.- I know of others who did too and there's was the same also. Also know of a few who got their Stalin/USA Unit 1 paper remarked and it went up by quite a bit! I'm thinking of going for an appeal cos my paper was recalled first and teachers thought it was harshly marked and I'd be given a few more marks. Also, anyone had any experience with appeals? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3081
Original post by usycool1
Disgraceful, from an ex-mod too :hand::tongue:
On TSR you don't get the high drama of the sugar being replaced by the salt! :eek: Unless it changes, Downton will always win. :colone:

Original post by adi19956
New series soon!! :woo: far too excited about this

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Yep, I can't wait! It's going to be immense :awesome:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

Homework's a pain, that's one of the benefits of self-studying!

I can't express how much I agree with this. Homework is wasted on me and I assume many others this early in the year. With exams in June and UCAS deadlines coming up the homework doesn't really add to the course.

Self-studying is so much more efficient. You spend time when and on what you need.
Original post by Endless Blue
Currently on my third. I suspect once I've done this one it will go through one or possibly two more before I'm finally done and dusted. Currently over the line limit on UCAS and I'm really not sure what I'm going to cut out - might have to be my EPQ because if I can't change my topic I'm going to drop it :frown: So confused about what to do.

That is very decent, but the line limit is the worst! Have you gone to your EPQ coordinator (if such a thing exists) to ask about changing the topic or do you not need to ask permission? (I'm not very used to the EPQ system btw) I dunno, if its not really relevant to law, then I'd say leave it out
Original post by mynameisntbobk
That is very decent, but the line limit is the worst! Have you gone to your EPQ coordinator (if such a thing exists) to ask about changing the topic or do you not need to ask permission? (I'm not very used to the EPQ system btw) I dunno, if its not really relevant to law, then I'd say leave it out

Yeah, I'm going to see if I can speak to her on Monday. I've spoken to the librarian who helps out a bit, and she said it is possible but it may be difficult with added time pressures etc. I'm a bit worried about how my mentor will react though - I'm already behind compared to some of the others because I've been so busy lately and haven't been able to set aside the time for thorough research and I don't want to seem like I'm messing her about by changing topics now as well. I dunno, really tempted to give up on it now. I just wish I'd chosen the right topic sooner, my current one is kind of related to law, but now I've realised it's more like a politics/philosophy question which is partly why I want to change it.
Original post by fatimaja
Got a question, did anyone get their History AS (i think the board was edexcel :/) Unit 2 on Post War Britain remarked? If so, did it go up? I got mine done and it stayed EXACTLY THE SAME -.- I know of others who did too and there's was the same also. Also know of a few who got their Stalin/USA Unit 1 paper remarked and it went up by quite a bit! I'm thinking of going for an appeal cos my paper was recalled first and teachers thought it was harshly marked and I'd be given a few more marks. Also, anyone had any experience with appeals? Thanks :smile:

I'm afraid that you can't request for an appeal yourself - only the head of the centre can request that. Tbh, just being not happy with the marking isn't really a sufficient reason for it to be appealed. :no: I suggest speaking to a teacher or someone at your Sixth Form/college. :smile:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
The first few weeks are there to get you settled in so you probably won't have noticed any 'jumps'.

Homework's a pain, that's one of the benefits of self-studying!

Well we've covered some actual content... But yeah, no jumps yet!
Am I allowed to just post a 'hello' here, to make my mark ? :P Haha, i'm still not used to the whole Student Room workings and stuff.
Original post by Loquacious
Am I allowed to just post a 'hello' here, to make my mark ? :P Haha, i'm still not used to the whole Student Room workings and stuff.

Welcome! :wavey:
Original post by usycool1
Welcome! :wavey:

Thank you ! Hahaha, nice to feel welcomed and exchange words with a dancing duck. :L
Yeah, I'm going to see if I can speak to her on Monday. I've spoken to the librarian who helps out a bit, and she said it is possible but it may be difficult with added time pressures etc. I'm a bit worried about how my mentor will react though - I'm already behind compared to some of the others because I've been so busy lately and haven't been able to set aside the time for thorough research and I don't want to seem like I'm messing her about by changing topics now as well. I dunno, really tempted to give up on it now. I just wish I'd chosen the right topic sooner, my current one is kind of related to law, but now I've realised it's more like a politics/philosophy question which is partly why I want to change it.

That really is a sticky situation. Do you actually want to take the EPQ? It just seems like so much effort, and like you said, you're already behind. I'm not try to put you off it, because of course there are the positives, but I think if you're not giving it your all, then you probably won't do as well as you can especially if you haven't done enough thorough research.
partying hard in Bristol right now having the time of my life, jk my mum is sleeping behind me and I'm surfing tsr
Original post by Robbie242
partying hard in Bristol right now having the time of my life, jk my mum is sleeping behind me and I'm surfing tsr

lol my life except it's usually the lil' sister behind me.

Welcome :biggrin: What subjects?

Haha the netball team :colone:
lol my life except it's usually the lil' sister behind me.

Living the sweet life... :tongue:

Contemplating everything when this hotel computer can't even run videos at 144p, all I can do is listen to music on my phone and view/chat on the computer.

Also my hotel computer is a MAC which also plays TV channels, mind=blown
Original post by mynameisntbobk
That really is a sticky situation. Do you actually want to take the EPQ? It just seems like so much effort, and like you said, you're already behind. I'm not try to put you off it, because of course there are the positives, but I think if you're not giving it your all, then you probably won't do as well as you can especially if you haven't done enough thorough research.

Yeah, thanks for the advice :smile: It is a lot of hassle and faffing about, so I'm really not sure. I do like the look of my new topic a LOT more than my last one and it does look much easier to research but again I'm just not sure. I really don't even know if I will have room to mention it in my PS at this rate (absolutely no clue where I'm going to lose another 5-6 lines) so I'm just debating whether it's worth it. Thing is, I'm planning to apply to Cambridge and nearly all of the applicants on the page are doing an EPQ :tongue: Obviously, that is not representative of the population as a whole but a lot of the competition will have that or 4 A2s, and if I drop it I will have neither. I don't know, guess I've got some thinking to do.

Open Day tomorrow :five: Are you staying in a hotel or something?
Original post by Blueray2

:coma:
Yeah, thanks for the advice :smile: It is a lot of hassle and faffing about, so I'm really not sure. I do like the look of my new topic a LOT more than my last one and it does look much easier to research but again I'm just not sure. I really don't even know if I will have room to mention it in my PS at this rate (absolutely no clue where I'm going to lose another 5-6 lines) so I'm just debating whether it's worth it. Thing is, I'm planning to apply to Cambridge and nearly all of the applicants on the page are doing an EPQ :tongue: Obviously, that is not representative of the population as a whole but a lot of the competition will have that or 4 A2s, and if I drop it I will have neither. I don't know, guess I've got some thinking to do.

Open Day tomorrow :five: Are you staying in a hotel or something?

Yup!, and yup again.

Are you also going to the open day? Might see you at the welcome to Bristol thingy :ninja:
Original post by Blueray2

Thanking you ! Haha. I do A2 Sociology, Biology and Design & Technology. (Weird combo, probably lol. xD)
Yup!, and yup again.

Are you also going to the open day? Might see you at the welcome to Bristol thingy :ninja:

I wish... I booked it too late so by that time it was already booked :'( Do fill me in about what I miss, though :wink:

Latest