The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Calzour
Done my UKCAT! Did so much better than last year, I got 615 last year but got 685 band 1 this year! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done mate :biggrin:!
Hey everyone, just got my UKCAT results, I got 695
I'm a reapplicant with A*AAb
I'm not sure if they matter anymore but GCSE: 5A*, 3.5A, 1C

I'm thinking to apply to Manchester
I'd like to apply to Kings, what are my chances of getting an interview?
And what other unis would be good choices? ( I tried Leicester and SGUL last year, dnt wanna try again.)

Thanks in advance for any advice
Reply 1722
Original post by raveen789
Well done mate :biggrin:!

Thank you!!!! Ah I'm so happy! Have you done well? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Calzour
Thank you!!!! Ah I'm so happy! Have you done well? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did it a while ago :biggrin:
Reply 1724
Original post by raveen789
Yeah I did it a while ago :biggrin:

woo! Hopefully we both get in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1725
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Hey everyone, just got my UKCAT results, I got 695
I'm a reapplicant with A*AAb
I'm not sure if they matter anymore but GCSE: 5A*, 3.5A, 1C

I'm thinking to apply to Manchester
I'd like to apply to Kings, what are my chances of getting an interview?
And what other unis would be good choices? ( I tried Leicester and SGUL last year, dnt wanna try again.)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Well done!

Consider Cardiff as you would be at an advantage with those GCSE grades. Keele also interview people with the highest academic profile first and I think you would definitely be at the top with achieved grades! Kings I would avoid: their GCSE and UKCAT competition is RIDICULOUS! Its your call :smile:

May I ask how you did on the medify mocks (if you did them)?
So I want to apply for Dundee's 6 year course... this is what their entry requirements say:
AAA grades at A level (A2), to include no more than one science subject and to exclude Chemistry.

Okay so I have Biology, Psychology and English Lit at A2 and Chemistry at AS. I emailed them a few days ago to check that they didn't count Psychology as a science and that the Chem at AS would be okay but I've not got a reply. I'm probably going to phone them but I was wondering if anyone on here knows? Probably not as I don't think many people on here are applying for Pre-med years as you did the sensible thing and took Chem to A2!
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Well done!

Consider Cardiff as you would be at an advantage with those GCSE grades. Keele also interview people with the highest academic profile first and I think you would definitely be at the top with achieved grades! Kings I would avoid: their GCSE and UKCAT competition is RIDICULOUS! Its your call :smile:

May I ask how you did on the medify mocks (if you did them)?

Isn't keele more about PS?

I got 52% on my normal mock, but considerably higher if u dnt count SJ
Original post by SusieShire
So I want to apply for Dundee's 6 year course... this is what their entry requirements say:

Okay so I have Biology, Psychology and English Lit at A2 and Chemistry at AS. I emailed them a few days ago to check that they didn't count Psychology as a science and that the Chem at AS would be okay but I've not got a reply. I'm probably going to phone them but I was wondering if anyone on here knows? Probably not as I don't think many people on here are applying for Pre-med years as you did the sensible thing and took Chem to A2!

They want to exclude chemistry at A2, I think AS is fine.
I wouldn't count psychology as a science, it's a humanity imo. Maths and 3 sciences are sciences imo.
Original post by NikoB
They want to exclude chemistry at A2, I think AS is fine.
I wouldn't count psychology as a science, it's a humanity imo. Maths and 3 sciences are sciences imo.

Thank you :smile: I wouldn't count psychology as a science either but I know there are some universities that do for certain courses.
Original post by SusieShire
Thank you :smile: I wouldn't count psychology as a science either but I know there are some universities that do for certain courses.

You're welcome :smile:
Hmm well it's best to call up to double check :yy:
For those who work in the nhs were you automatically enrolled in the pension schemes and did you opt out? Also gor those whobare HCAs did you join any unions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frogs r everywhere
If your PS is directed towards medicine, it will not affect your med application. However, it is very likely, considering the competition of those wanting to be midwives, that it will affect your midwifery application.

Thanks - I've already emailed the Midwifery admissions office who said I'd be fine sending them a separate ps when I submit my application.
Original post by Pastaferian
No, it won't have any adverse effect for medicine. Med schools know that every candidate has to choose a fifth non-medicine course - it's routine, and they won't interpret it negatively. I applied for medicine and biomed at a single university, partly in the hope that they might think I was more committed to study at their university - I got offers for both courses. Good luck!

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by babychocolate
For those who work in the nhs were you automatically enrolled in the pension schemes and did you opt out? Also gor those whobare HCAs did you join any unions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I opted out, you won't be doing the HCA for that long anyways so there's no need to pay into your pension at 18!
I didn't join a union either.
Reply 1735
Original post by Dr.Ugs
You fainted? Damn!

Good luck to you too!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I fainted because I ate a chocolate bar for dinner and skipped breakfast whilst on medication - at least I learnt the hard way that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Hello everyone!

Just wondering if anyone who has sat the exam can tell me whether the keyboard shortcuts mentioned on Medify (e.g. Alt+F = flag for review, Alt + C = calculator, Alt + N = next question) definitely work in the actual exam?

Just a bit worried that I'm becoming a bit reliant on them, so it would be a bit awkward if they don't work on the day!
Reply 1737
To anyone that has written about their role as a HCA in their ps,

Did you talk extensively about the skills you gained from the experience or about your role. I've focused my ps on the latter because I plan on talking about the skills I gained etc at interview, if I even get offered on e this time around (fingers crossed.) I hope that I'm not making a mistake.
Hey guys i was hoping i someone could give me someone could give some general advice on the VR section as i am struggling with this the most. How did you manage the time, and for the new style comprehension questions what strategy did you use? Did you read the whole passage and then answer each question or did you skim read and look for key words? Also what did you use for the old style t/f/ct questions?
To people who haven't got jobs as HCA's or other medical jobs, what will you write about you gap year in your PS. I think ill just write about some of the voluntary works i will be continuing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending