The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ynm1
Off topic but.... Is anyone here also sick to death of the whole UCAS process for Medicine?

I am a little having done it 3 times, once for something else and now twice for medicine! Hopefully it will be worthwhile though :redface:
Original post by Bumble333
Hey I'm also working as a HCA and have talked to quite a few unis on the phone and they all said they really value 6 months as a HCA so maybe you could stick it out till Christmas ? The nurses really shouldn't be treating you badly it sounds totally unacceptable can you talk to someone about this or maybe change wards ? I'm loving doing it at the moment and all the nurses are lovely and seem to really appreciate someone to do all the crap jobs so its definently not meant to be like it is for you ! Also if you manage 6 months then you can then apply fr bank jobs as a hca which might be really helpful if you ever needed some cash ?

But the FY1 is right you are already above 90 % of applicants with your 3 months so of its making you really sad then it's not worth doing

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I'm sure all the universities are like 6 months HCA work = totally awesome.
What I'm asking is how much less awesome will it be if I only did 3 months? Will they even notice?

Some of the nurses are on a real power trip, is the issue. Too superior to help with the washes and stuff. So there I am, on my own, trying to roll an 14 stone patient on my own, hold them there in position on their side, while using one hand to wash their back and bottom, clean up and take away all the soiled stuff, put a new pad on underneath them, and replace the bed sheet underneath them. **** my back.

Yep, bank work does sound handy and definitely something I would consider if I got round to 6 months.
Original post by Shaimaa95
Hey everyone :smile: okay, I'm thinking of applying to Cardiff, Aberdeen, Exeter and UEA or Liverpool with 665 ukcat, 7a* 5a gcse and AAAa at alevel. do you think my choices are wise?

I applied for Cardiff and Aberdeen last year with exactly the same UKCAT but much lower GCSE's (3A*'s 6A's 2B's). Got an interview at Aberdeen :smile:
Original post by CazzaBomBazza
I applied for Cardiff and Aberdeen last year with exactly the same UKCAT but much lower GCSE's (3A*'s 6A's 2B's). Got an interview at Aberdeen :smile:

Aberdeen have changed their admissions policy since you applied; UKCAT is worth quite a bit more now, GCSEs aren't being considered.
Original post by ameelia22
Hey, thanks for your reply.

I'm sure all the universities are like 6 months HCA work = totally awesome.
What I'm asking is how much less awesome will it be if I only did 3 months? Will they even notice?

Some of the nurses are on a real power trip, is the issue. Too superior to help with the washes and stuff. So there I am, on my own, trying to roll an 14 stone patient on my own, hold them there in position on their side, while using one hand to wash their back and bottom, clean up and take away all the soiled stuff, put a new pad on underneath them, and replace the bed sheet underneath them. **** my back.

Yep, bank work does sound handy and definitely something I would consider if I got round to 6 months.

I can definitely empathise with you on the "superior nurses"

I used to work in ICU so I never did the washes or cleaning poo etc :biggrin: but I did have to help roll which is okay but when we 're short staffed and the unit is full, it's tough rolling all the patients twice, sometimes 3 times a day. It's worse on the night shifts: roll at 9PMish, then again at 3AMish(waking the patient up :rolleyes:) then roll again at 6AMish :angry:

Also when a patient leaves or passes away the bed space has to be cleaned. At first I didn't mind but when you have 2-3 discharges and there are senior nurses, they won't help. It's so annoying. It takes me 45mins to clean a whole bed space on my own.

I could have continued working till this day as a HCA but i think 9 months is enough for me :lol:

Rant :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NikoB
I can definitely empathise with you on the "superior nurses"

I used to work in ICU so I never did the washes or cleaning poo etc :biggrin: but I did have to help roll which is okay but when we 're short staffed and the unit is full, it's tough rolling all the patients twice, sometimes 3 times a day. It's worse on the night shifts: roll at 9PMish, then again at 3AMish(waking the patient up :rolleyes:) then roll again at 6AMish :angry:

Also when a patient leaves or passes away the bed space has to be cleaned. At first I didn't mind but when you have 2-3 discharges and there are senior nurses, they won't help. It's so annoying. It takes me 45mins to clean a whole bed space on my own.

I could have continued working till this day as a HCA but i think 9 months is enough for me :lol:

Rant :colondollar:

Hahah, glad someone knows what I'm talking about, although clearly it's not so bad elsewhere!

Cleaning beds and washing dead bodies takes me a good hour when i'm on my own. There is meant to be at least 1 nurse and 1 hca to each bay (6 beds and 1 side room) in the morning at my hospital. So when my nurse is on one of her power trips and is barking orders on the occasional time I see her, rather than helping, and I have 6 beds to change, 5-7 patients that are "all care" (basically bed bound / can't wash themselves even with a bowl of water in front of them) who will need changing, washing and wiping, then all their care charts filled out...I am one stressed out bunny.

Haha 9 months is plenty!

Any thoughts on 3 months?
Hahah, glad someone knows what I'm talking about, although clearly it's not so bad elsewhere!

Cleaning beds and washing dead bodies takes me a good hour when i'm on my own. There is meant to be at least 1 nurse and 1 hca to each bay (6 beds and 1 side room) in the morning at my hospital. So when my nurse is on one of her power trips and is barking orders on the occasional time I see her, rather than helping, and I have 6 beds to change, 5-7 patients that are "all care" (basically bed bound / can't wash themselves even with a bowl of water in front of them) who will need changing, washing and wiping, then all their care charts filled out...I am one stressed out bunny.

Haha 9 months is plenty!

Any thoughts on 3 months?

:ahee:

Oh wow, I don't clean dead bodies on my own, never. It's always at least 2 people :smile:
That's quite unfair, that's a lot of workload! But tbh I feel the senior nurses to be a bit intimidating even though most of them are nice. Disliked one of them strongly....and there's always 1 HCA per shift!

3 months is a lot too if you think about it in hours, perhaps 6 months will be a safer option. But it depends on how long you really want to stay there :smile:
Original post by NikoB
:ahee:

Oh wow, I don't clean dead bodies on my own, never. It's always at least 2 people :smile:
That's quite unfair, that's a lot of workload! But tbh I feel the senior nurses to be a bit intimidating even though most of them are nice. Disliked one of them strongly....and there's always 1 HCA per shift!

3 months is a lot too if you think about it in hours, perhaps 6 months will be a safer option. But it depends on how long you really want to stay there :smile:

Did I mention that I have to do all that in about 3 hours? From 9am to before lunches?

Thanks for your thoughts :smile:
Did I mention that I have to do all that in about 3 hours? From 9am to before lunches?

Thanks for your thoughts :smile:

That's bonkers! What about breaks, my first break in the morning is half an hour :colone:
I rests one module exam in Physics in year 10 or 11, are there any universities that would not accept this? It was done within the two year gcse period... with the resit I got an A overall, without, it would have been a B
What is the correct name for the science of medicine? Is it just biomedicine or human biology or physiology?
How has everybody's UKCAT gone since this is the last week you can do it?

I am glad I left it till the 3rd, but still - i SO want it over and done with now...such a test of luck :s-smilie:
Original post by Shaimaa95
I rests one module exam in Physics in year 10 or 11, are there any universities that would not accept this? It was done within the two year gcse period... with the resit I got an A overall, without, it would have been a B

Not a problem for any university.
Not a problem for any university.

Oh that's good. Thank you for the reply :smile:
Reply 1974
Okay, my UKCAT is in an hours time and I still do not have a good technique for the Verbal section. Could someone please give me some last minute tips?
Reply 1975
Original post by raveen789
I am a little having done it 3 times, once for something else and now twice for medicine! Hopefully it will be worthwhile though :redface:

3 times?? DAMN! I knew a girl who did it 3 times for medicine alone and is now doing it at King's College.
Reply 1976
how have ukcats gone this time? i got 708 was pleased at first but so many people have done better!
Original post by ynm1
3 times?? DAMN! I knew a girl who did it 3 times for medicine alone and is now doing it at King's College.

Yeah it annoying. First time was in sixth form, school told me not to apply to medicine. Then i got the grades and took a gap yea which was a flop :rolleyes: most likely due to low UKCAT. Then redid the UKCAT this summer and thought YES! and now im trying again :colondollar:
Reply 1978
Hi everyone!
Ok, so i'm not really a re-applicant since I never applied at the start of year 13.
I got A*AADbbb for A'Levels. I'm just wondering if my D grade in General Studies look really bad with A*AA? I know they don't count Gen studies but I'm worried that it may make my overall result look bad... I want to apply to Birmingham, Imperial, Oxford and Kings/Cardiff. I'd be grateful for your help! :smile:
Original post by Roobz
Hi everyone!
Ok, so i'm not really a re-applicant since I never applied at the start of year 13.
I got A*AADbbb for A'Levels. I'm just wondering if my D grade in General Studies look really bad with A*AA? I know they don't count Gen studies but I'm worried that it may make my overall result look bad... I want to apply to Birmingham, Imperial, Oxford and Kings/Cardiff. I'd be grateful for your help! :smile:

Nope don't worry about it, they will literally check that you have AAA in relevant subjects or AAAb whatever their standard offer is. Which you have, they won't look at other subjects! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending