The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2120
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
Does anyone know any universities that do not accept Re applicants, more specifically re applying to the same university?

NOTTINGHAM if you had an interview the first time i know for definite. quite a few more are like this but only if you had interview i think. dont quote me htough
Original post by MrAli786
I cant find any details of the mmi on Manchesters website, where did you get this info?

Original post by kc7
I spoke to them on the phone, although I didn't take the lady's name so I guess I have no evidence...
I think it would be a good guess that if they are switching to MMIs they'd probably have at least 6/7 stations! :/
Tbh I had interviews at SGUL and Leicester last year as well, and they were both about 8 stations, exhaustion isn't the problem, the time seems to fly by!

From TSR's wiki... :wink:

The interview at Manchester for the five year course has changed for 2010 entry. Instead of the traditional panel interview used previously, it will now be more like that already used for the six year course. Groups of nine applicants will be asked to participate in a round table discussion for 30 minutes. They will be presented with a ranking exercise; for example “which five of the following ten patients in renal failure would you select for a kidney transplant”. The first ten minutes will be allocated to individual thought; the remaining time will be spent trying to reach consensus. Three interviewers will observe the process. Applicants are not expected to have any more than a layperson’s general knowledge of medical issues; the intention is to get you to relax and for them to be able to assess your team working skills. You may be asked question relating to wider issues. This will be followed by three 6 minute interviews on a one-to-one basis. In one you will be asked to reflect on the group discussion, in another you will be asked about your experiences that led you to apply to medicine (e.g. work experience), while in the other interview you will be asked about your extra-curricular activities.

The interview for the six year course at Manchester is only slightly different. The interview session will start with a 30 minute group discussion between 8 people which will be observed by four interviewers. Once this has finished you will either go straight to your interview you may have to wait a while. The video task involves watching one of a number of videos of patients talking about their experiences. You will then be asked write answers to some questions. The interview will be one-on-one and will be conducted in a room at the same time as three others.

Questions that you could be asked are:

How do you think that the group discussion went?

Why do you want to do medicine?

The other questions are said to be fairly predictable and the whole process is described as fairly relaxed, what you'd expect at a medical school interview.

Edit: It seems the wiki is out of date - it's all MMI now apparently
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2122
Original post by SuziieB
Really? How far was it from the rest of the uni? Are med students then isolated from everyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Med and sport science I think. It's a 10 minute shuttle bus ride... Significant IMO, but it depends what's you like. I've always been one for location over quality when it comes to accommodation, and city over campus. If you want to compare yourself to me... Born Dublin moved to London, then to Bristol and I miss the big cities so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2123
Original post by richtea5
Thanks, I realise it's close to the line and is a risk. It's true it's gone up every year but last years increase was crazy (30 points-ish) because there was a significant increase in applicants- could be same again with more applicants pushing up the cut off but no way of knowing.
It's a shame because it is my ideal place in terms of the course but I think i'll look whether there are other safer options as well.
where are you planning on applying? :smile:

Birmingham is my only cert at this point, I'm looking around. Probably Kings, Edinburgh, Leeds, Cardiff and Nottingham I have to choose from. Basically I can go anywhere, but cba with bmat - gap years aren't meant to be spent studying lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pastaferian
From TSR's wiki... :wink:

The interview at Manchester for the five year course has changed for 2010 entry. Instead of the traditional panel interview used previously, it will now be more like that already used for the six year course. Groups of nine applicants will be asked to participate in a round table discussion for 30 minutes. They will be presented with a ranking exercise; for example “which five of the following ten patients in renal failure would you select for a kidney transplant”. The first ten minutes will be allocated to individual thought; the remaining time will be spent trying to reach consensus. Three interviewers will observe the process. Applicants are not expected to have any more than a layperson’s general knowledge of medical issues; the intention is to get you to relax and for them to be able to assess your team working skills. You may be asked question relating to wider issues. This will be followed by three 6 minute interviews on a one-to-one basis. In one you will be asked to reflect on the group discussion, in another you will be asked about your experiences that led you to apply to medicine (e.g. work experience), while in the other interview you will be asked about your extra-curricular activities.

The interview for the six year course at Manchester is only slightly different. The interview session will start with a 30 minute group discussion between 8 people which will be observed by four interviewers. Once this has finished you will either go straight to your interview you may have to wait a while. The video task involves watching one of a number of videos of patients talking about their experiences. You will then be asked write answers to some questions. The interview will be one-on-one and will be conducted in a room at the same time as three others.

Questions that you could be asked are:

How do you think that the group discussion went?

Why do you want to do medicine?

The other questions are said to be fairly predictable and the whole process is described as fairly relaxed, what you'd expect at a medical school interview.

That wiki needs updating :tongue:

It's now gonna be full MMI, no group! It's on their website
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit

Feel free to update it :smile:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Feel free to update it :smile:

I would but I'm on my iPod touch on the tsr app. Much trickier without the computer!
Reply 2127
Original post by Amara Naz
Yep Cardiff is a better choice. Unfortunately I can't apply there as I have no extenuating circumstances.

why would you need extenuating circumstances to apply to Cardiff?
So..I have been deciding over universities for quite some time now and I've narrowed it down to three! But I can't for the life of me choose the fourth one!
It's between Exeter, BSMS, St George's and Sheffield!
Got 9 A*s at GCSE (and a distinction* in this music BTEC I did) and my achieved A2 grades are AAAB (As in bio, chem and maths, B in Spanish).
My UKCAT is 790, band 2 SJT.
Obviously I know it depends on my personal statement (and possibly reference) too but, from these stats, which one would you think I'd have a better chance at?
Hope everyone's application is going well :biggrin:

(note: I'm not being lazy, I've read over website info, admissions policies and forums to death and I still can't come to a reasonable decision!)
Original post by tdx
yeah all over the internet, if it's the same as the ukcat one which I imagine it will be, they have 'tutorials' which are basically like an online textbook explaining what each subtest aims to test, how it's done, what's expected of you, common errors, different strategies e.t.c. and then there's a huge bank of practise questions and finally three different mock exams :smile: only problem is you don't have an actual tutor to explain where you go wrong, however the answer explanations tend to be sufficient for you to work that out for yourself! I'd phone them to find out when they're releasing the BMAT one though. and also the BMAT 400 q's along with official past papers tend to be good for prep!

Very helpful thanks.
Reply 2130
Original post by itsmagic
So..I have been deciding over universities for quite some time now and I've narrowed it down to three! But I can't for the life of me choose the fourth one!
It's between Exeter, BSMS, St George's and Sheffield!
Got 9 A*s at GCSE (and a distinction* in this music BTEC I did) and my achieved A2 grades are AAAB (As in bio, chem and maths, B in Spanish).
My UKCAT is 790, band 2 SJT.
Obviously I know it depends on my personal statement (and possibly reference) too but, from these stats, which one would you think I'd have a better chance at?
Hope everyone's application is going well :biggrin:

(note: I'm not being lazy, I've read over website info, admissions policies and forums to death and I still can't come to a reasonable decision!)

With those stats, I'd go for St. George's, you'd get an interview there I'm sure. Sheffield is also another great choice but SGUL would fit your stats perfectly! :smile:
Original post by PG593
With those stats, I'd go for St. George's, you'd get an interview there I'm sure. Sheffield is also another great choice but SGUL would fit your stats perfectly! :smile:

Thank you! I'll have another look at them :smile:
Where are you applying?
I've just sent my UCAS off to my referee. St George's, King's, Dundee, Manchester and Newcastle (Biomed) are my final choices in case anybody's interested. I'm still worried about my personal statement but there's nothing more to be done now, so it's off!
I am having trouble choosing my fourth choice and I was hoping you guys had some suggestions, so far I have; Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield. My stats are:
GSCE's: 3A*'s, 5A's and 2B's
Alevels: AAAbb
UKCAT: 698
I think my personal statement is relatively strong as i have done a month volunteering in a gambian hospital, have 10 weeks volunteering and I been volunteering at a care home for a year and I am also a national swimmer (i have also mentioned over stuff to make me sound like a well rounded person)
Original post by SusieShire
I've just sent my UCAS off to my referee. St George's, King's, Dundee, Manchester and Newcastle (Biomed) are my final choices in case anybody's interested. I'm still worried about my personal statement but there's nothing more to be done now, so it's off!

:drool: = your choices

AND GOOD FOR YOU FOR GOING SCOTTISH WITH DUNDEE

I would have really liked to be able to apply there but am I the only one that thinks scottish medical schools prefer scottish applicants? Perhaps just a myth though...

Good luck!!
Original post by ameelia22

I would have really liked to be able to apply there but am I the only one that thinks scottish medical schools prefer scottish applicants? Perhaps just a myth though...

Good luck!!

Thanks, I think they allocate places for Scottish students so there's less places for "Rest of UK" students than English medical schools would have. Maybe I should drop hints at the interview that I'm half Scottish. :wink: Loads of my family lives in Scotland.
hEY gUYS,
Anyone willing to help me out a little,
My stats
GCSE: 5A* 7A
A2: AAAb
UKCAT: 460,670,800,870 (avg. 700 :s-smilie:) Band 2
Considering applying to : Kings, Queens, BMS and HYMS and imperial for Life Science as insurance
I really wanted to apply to St Georges but as I got below 500 in VR I cant !! :frown:

What do you guys think... any luck? Are my choices appropriate?
Have 2 days before I have to submit as Iam doing it through school.
Help pls. :smile:
Original post by ameelia22

Good luck!!

'tis a miff.

Well, they allocate different numbers to 'Scottish', 'RUK' and 'International'.

Here (St A), there's something like 1/3rd split between the groups (we did a survey thing using clickers in our first week).
I think Dundee only have something like 28 places for RUK, but if I got an offer, no reason why others shouldn't :tongue:
Original post by SusieShire
Thanks, I think they allocate places for Scottish students so there's less places for "Rest of UK" students than English medical schools would have. Maybe I should drop hints at the interview that I'm half Scottish. :wink: Loads of my family lives in Scotland.

The number of places is pretty proportional to the number of applicants though. As an English student you have your pick of Scot/Eng/Welsh/NI schools, Scottish students are pretty limited by funding so tend to stay in Scotland.
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit

Thanks for the heads-up - I've amended my earlier post. However, the info I posted seems consistent with what I found on their website just now, on page 3 of this possibly out-of-date PDF. The fact that the document was produced in Nov 2012 suggests it could be out-of-date, but the fact that it is still linked from their website suggests the opposite. Can you give a link to the place you found your info, so I can update the wiki? - if they've got out-of-date info on their website, I'll alert them.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending