The Student Room Group

is it true there are plans to extend the school day until 5pm?

i heard this today, is it true?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Woo. I love Michael Gove!!
Better not be true, I know I have trouble concentrating 8:55-3:30 as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The poor teachers, they have a hard enough job as it is! :frown:
What? My school is scraping evening registration so we leave at 3.10 instead of 3.30...but we're an academy now so that probably makes a difference?
Reply 5
oh no, poor kiddies at school until 5 !!! it'll bring them into the real world and prepare them more for a proper working week/uni. People got a shock on my course when they were used to finishing at 3.30 and now we have a 8pm finish most Tuesdays and at least one 6pm finish a week. I think it should only apply to high school/6th form though.
Reply 6
All of your schools finish quite early. Mine finishes at 4:05 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
such a loooong day! try having lectures from 10am - 7pm with only one hours break from 12 - 1!
welcome to the real world kiddo!
Original post by littlemissmidget123
such a loooong day! try having lectures from 10am - 7pm with only one hours break from 12 - 1!
welcome to the real world kiddo!

But that's exactly the point.

They are "kiddos". School is not meant to be anything like work, or the "real world."

Terrible idea, unless they eliminate homework ( which I can't see happening ever) .
In all truth, I'd feel more sorry for the teachers rather than the pupils for a 9-5 day. Imagine dealing with Year 7 children at 4:30. Most kids have lost all interest by 2:30pm.
What a terrible idea. So he expects students to revise on top of everything. Most of us will have steam coming out of our ears. I doubt this will put in place though.
Lool I heard, it's funny... Tbh it will just make each lesson less productive in my opinion. But anyways why do I care I'll hopefully be attending university next year.
Reply 12
Good. Let's try and improve the education by putting more into the budget and get more equipment, resources and materials so that the student can learn much better, especially with an extra two additional hours?

What's that, you say? We don't have enough money to put into education you say? You want the students to sit around for an extra two hours, struggling to engage with their teachers, who are already stretched thin because of the lack of budget?
I doubt it. Teachers would have to be paid more, plus being at School for that long can't be good. Most people's concentrations will be gone after 4 lessons.

I think that School should start later though, maybe secondary school should start at 10am to 4pm, since teenagers need more sleep.
Reply 14
Won't pupils lose their concentration by then? Also, by extending the school day, they would be limiting the pupils extracurricular activities.

Oh, and for those saying "try having lectures from 9am till 6pm" or whatever, please don't forget that they'll be going in five times a week. Not many uni students stay in uni for 8 hours, 5 times a week, from September till July. I'm not even including homework and extracurricular activities. I understand that university requires more work out of lectures and whatnot, but this is school. This is a place where people begin when they are 4-5 years old. Therefore, don't compare uni to school. And for those saying "welcome to the real working world" please don't forget that there are little children in school (I'm assuming that this would affect both primary and secondary schools).
Ha no. We'd spend more time at home anyway if this was serious because this would definitely prompt more strikes...
Original post by Bloxorus
All of your schools finish quite early. Mine finishes at 4:05 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What time does your school start?
Reply 17
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
What time does your school start?

9 :smile:
To be honest at gcse level most of my friends and myself are staying till at leasts 4.30pm 3 days a week for revision sessions/ coursework or other things. School finishes at 3.20pm.

And really no one can concentrate last lesson never mind past 4pm.
Original post by Bloxorus
9 :smile:

Oh my! That's pretty bad. I'm home by that time. :biggrin:

Do you have 2 break times and 1 lunchtime or something? Or do you just have extended breaks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending