The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AhmedDavid
Just wondering if anyone here resat their AS year. Do the medical schools allow AS resits that accept resits or is there a different set of rules for people resiting Year 12.

Resetting AS year means you would have taken more than 2 years to complete your A-levels so some will accept it and some won't.
Reply 2561
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Resetting AS year means you would have taken more than 2 years to complete your A-levels so some will accept it and some won't.

Yes I understand that but when I looked at most universities website they only specify it like the candidate resat A2 eg UEA saying they allow resits if the applicants achieves A*AA on their second go.

Would that mean candidates resiting their AS would need to get A*AA at A2 aswell?

Also would less unis favour AS-Level resit applicants or will it be a few more as A2 is more heavily weighted so if good grades are achieved in A2 it shows they are capable and it was just a slip up at AS.

Thanks for the reply though :smile:
Original post by babychocolate
I did because my school wouldn't send my ucas off without it. You add it to qualifications under admission tests I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by SuziieB
I also put mine just in case Pearson vue somehow fails to send my scores to them. Unlikely but still possible :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok! Which centre did you put it under? And the whole 'full-time/part-time/sandwich' bit?
Hi guys, I'm new to this so forgive me if I make a mistake, basically I need your help I did really bad in As and could only bring up my grades to CCC in chemistry, biology and sociology. Bear in mind I've raised these grades from Es but anyway I've had a life long passion to do medicine and have done loads of work exp, any ideas of who would take me, I plan to bring up my grades to A*AA by the end of this year since I got a C in sociology with a weeks revision. Thanks in advance.
Reply 2564
Original post by confusedbengali
Hi guys, I'm new to this so forgive me if I make a mistake, basically I need your help I did really bad in As and could only bring up my grades to CCC in chemistry, biology and sociology. Bear in mind I've raised these grades from Es but anyway I've had a life long passion to do medicine and have done loads of work exp, any ideas of who would take me, I plan to bring up my grades to A*AA by the end of this year since I got a C in sociology with a weeks revision. Thanks in advance.

Unless your school is predicting you AAA or better, there is no point in applying this cycle as no-one will consider your application. Also, med schools generally ask for 4 AS's, and you appear to have only done three. If you get AAA or better at the end of this year, take a gap year and apply next year.

But I have to question your sincerity when you say medicine is your lifelong passion. We are two days from the application deadline and you're asking where to apply? Also, if it is such a passion, why didn't you do more than one week of revision and get that C to an A? There's a big difference between having a feeling you'd like to do something, and it being a passion you throw all your energies into. Many if not most medical applicants fall into the later category, and these are your competition. So if you want to make this happen you need to pull your finger out.
Reply 2565
Yes I understand that but when I looked at most universities website they only specify it like the candidate resat A2 eg UEA saying they allow resits if the applicants achieves A*AA on their second go.

Would that mean candidates resiting their AS would need to get A*AA at A2 aswell?

Also would less unis favour AS-Level resit applicants or will it be a few more as A2 is more heavily weighted so if good grades are achieved in A2 it shows they are capable and it was just a slip up at AS.

You need to ask them yourself. My feeling is that won't accept candidates that have resat a whole year (and it is by far the easier year). Most people getting in after taking A2 resits are only retaking one, maybe two subjects - not repeating the whole year.
Reply 2566
Original post by minhle20
Hey guys,

Have you guys sent off your applications yet?

I sent off my application Friday morning and one of my unis (Leicester) replied saying they had received my application.

In their email, they've given my personal ID number as my UCAS ID number from last year. It's a mistake, surely?

Have any of you guys had the same problem as me? :confused:

Yes I have, I asked UCAS and they do the same with everyone :smile:
Reply 2567
Sent!!!!

Bristol, Leeds, Kings, Cardiff and Biology with Management and a Year in Industry/Research @ Imperial. Good luck all!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2568
Original post by HCubed
You need to ask them yourself. My feeling is that won't accept candidates that have resat a whole year (and it is by far the easier year). Most people getting in after taking A2 resits are only retaking one, maybe two subjects - not repeating the whole year.

Lol exactly my point, resitting Yr12 & getting good grades and then going onto A2 and securing those 3As or higher for medicine clearly shows that they were capable of getting the A in year 12 as they achieved it first time in A2.:u:

Also people resitting A2 are not most of the time resitting one exam lmfao :curious:

& if they are resitting one exam, they would still spend a whole year as they have to sit it in June lol :confused:
Reply 2569
Doea anyone have the link to that threas which haa all ratios like placw to offer on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2570
Lol exactly my point, resitting Yr12 & getting good grades and then going onto A2 and securing those 3As or higher for medicine clearly shows that they were capable of getting the A in year 12 as they achieved it first time in A2.:u:

Also people resitting A2 are not most of the time resitting one exam lmfao :curious:

& if they are resitting one exam, they would still spend a whole year as they have to sit it in June lol :confused:

If you read the resits policy carefully, you will see that most unis require extenuating circumstances, and others accept applications from those that achieved AAB or ABB at A2 first time around, and are not retaking a whole year - ie all 3 subjects, although they will of course have to wait a year to do the resits.

I think Plymouth and Liverpool, and possibly UEA are the only unis that will accept an entire year resit - AS or A2 - without extenuating circumstances. I think your point about being capable of getting an A is largely irrelevent as they have so many capable applicants that did achieve the grades first time around.
Original post by HCubed
Unless your school is predicting you AAA or better, there is no point in applying this cycle as no-one will consider your application. Also, med schools generally ask for 4 AS's, and you appear to have only done three. If you get AAA or better at the end of this year, take a gap year and apply next year.

But I have to question your sincerity when you say medicine is your lifelong passion. We are two days from the application deadline and you're asking where to apply? Also, if it is such a passion, why didn't you do more than one week of revision and get that C to an A? There's a big difference between having a feeling you'd like to do something, and it being a passion you throw all your energies into. Many if not most medical applicants fall into the later category, and these are your competition. So if you want to make this happen you need to pull your finger out.

I'm pretty sure my school will predict me AAA and sorry to not have made this year but I'm currently taking a gap year, do you suggest taking another one? I think I can't do another one I'm getting lazy as it is this year. Oh I've already applied or will apply to Nottingham, kings and UEA for foundation courses I was just asking if anyone had any suggestions for a 4th, I'm not eligible for the Southampton foundation course so I'm in a pickle and believe me if I had time I would've but I had my hands full with chemistry and biology, with also as resits, I know I should've revised harder in the y12 year but I was really discouraged to do medicine and I kinda have up then in the beginning of y13 I was just like screw that teacher and started revising and trying to get back on track. This is only because I realised I can't do anything apart from medicine it is my passion and I literally worked my arse off last year to improve my AS whilst also doing my A2, I had 14 exams in June so I definitely know I'm in a better position now to get As since I only have like 6 this time btw does anyone think I'm advantaged that I'm a gap year student instead of a retake year student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry just realised I wrote quite a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2573
Sorry just realised I wrote quite a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol at your name! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2574
Original post by HCubed
If you read the resits policy carefully, you will see that most unis require extenuating circumstances, and others accept applications from those that achieved AAB or ABB at A2 first time around, and are not retaking a whole year - ie all 3 subjects, although they will of course have to wait a year to do the resits.

I think Plymouth and Liverpool, and possibly UEA are the only unis that will accept an entire year resit - AS or A2 - without extenuating circumstances. I think your point about being capable of getting an A is largely irrelevent as they have so many capable applicants that did achieve the grades first time around.

The unis that currently allow resits allow resit of the whole year & I am aware that a lot of people capable get the grades first time however this would also show that they are cleaely capable by getting the As at A2 first time which is meant to be a lot harder than AS.
I'm pretty sure my school will predict me AAA and sorry to not have made this year but I'm currently taking a gap year, do you suggest taking another one? I think I can't do another one I'm getting lazy as it is this year. Oh I've already applied or will apply to Nottingham, kings and UEA for foundation courses I was just asking if anyone had any suggestions for a 4th, I'm not eligible for the Southampton foundation course so I'm in a pickle and believe me if I had time I would've but I had my hands full with chemistry and biology, with also as resits, I know I should've revised harder in the y12 year but I was really discouraged to do medicine and I kinda have up then in the beginning of y13 I was just like screw that teacher and started revising and trying to get back on track. This is only because I realised I can't do anything apart from medicine it is my passion and I literally worked my arse off last year to improve my AS whilst also doing my A2, I had 14 exams in June so I definitely know I'm in a better position now to get As since I only have like 6 this time btw does anyone think I'm advantaged that I'm a gap year student instead of a retake year student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really sorry if i sound harsh but all your comments have been really confusing to read and your situation isn't clear. Also this is a thread for medicine reapplicants - people who have worked vey hard and still didnt get in and the deadline is in 2 days so it seems abit like your wasting everyone's time . Medicine is really tough and just having " passion " isn't enough, if you want real advice I think work your arse off this year and get 3 As and properly think about where you want to apply . Then if you get 3As, think you will cope with the course and you think it's more to you than a "passion" then go for it next year and I wish you success.
Reply 2576

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough to what you're saying, however in this "gap year" are you resitting exams?

If you are then you are an official resit applicant and from my understanding no foundation course Medicine University will be willing to consider your application.

You will need to get AAA and apply to the Unis which currently allow resits without extenuating circumstances

I'm not sure if you are being serious (the lol's suggest you may not be), but in case I'm wrong... most med schools expect students to achieve academic success (AAA+) in 2 years - anyone taking longer is assumed to be unable to handle the workload and/or be lacking commitment/focus. Barring exceptional circumstances, of course. The rule is fairly strictly enforced, as it's highly competitive, and anyone taking 50% longer to achieve the same results has a significant advantage over the majority who take just the normal 2 years.

Not every med school takes this view - a handful will consider students who completed AS and A2 in 2 years, didn't quite achieve AAA, and resat after Y13. But I'm not aware of any that will consider students who retake Y12, unless there are documented extenuating circumstances.

As has been said, your application won't be considered if you don't have AAA predictions (and may not be believed if you do). In addition to upping your game to get AAA+ at A2, you'll also need to do a lot of volunteering, find a clinical placement or two, and pass the UKCAT exam - quite a workload for Y13. Not saying it can't be done, but you may be better planning for graduate entry into medicine, bearing in mind that you can always review your options in August 2014 if you get the A2 grades that you need (in that case, you could take a gap year and apply for medicine based on achieved grades). Good luck!

Edit to add: this link may be helpful... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Prospects_for_Students_with_%27Poor%27_AS_Grades

Original post by hl7495
Doea anyone have the link to that threas which haa all ratios like placw to offer on?

I think you're looking for the wiki article on 'competition ratios'. Or better autocorrect software? :biggrin:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bumble333
I'm really sorry if i sound harsh but all your comments have been really confusing to read and your situation isn't clear. Also this is a thread for medicine reapplicants - people who have worked vey hard and still didnt get in and the deadline is in 2 days so it seems abit like your wasting everyone's time . Medicine is really tough and just having " passion " isn't enough, if you want real advice I think work your arse off this year and get 3 As and properly think about where you want to apply . Then if you get 3As, think you will cope with the course and you think it's more to you than a "passion" then go for it next year and I wish you success.

Yeah I probably do need a reality check I mean I'll probably end up trying to do a post grad in medicine or take a gap year again but I dunno, do you think medical materials is a good subject to do before medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough to what you're saying, however in this "gap year" are you resitting exams?

If you are then you are an official resit applicant and from my understanding no foundation course Medicine University will be willing to consider your application.

You will need to get AAA and apply to the Unis which currently allow resits without extenuating circumstances

Ah right I thought I showed organisation skills for not going back to school and trying to improve my grades on my own

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending