The Student Room Group

I have Asperger's

I get shy around people, don't like group work and always live in fear that people don't like me

I just don't know how to feel letting people know

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly you have problems that I imagine most people struggle with, we all have insecurities that we have to deal with it's probably easier for us to hide them though. Maybe if you explain your condition beforehand to people they'll be more understanding when you act aloof, after all it's not like it's your fault.
Reply 2
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Relax, the problem is probably a million times worse in your head than in actual reality

I've had that line a million times
Reply 3
Maybe cos it's true?

It's not always though.

I'm a bit apprehensive telling people, unless it's people I know. It's because I know people have opinion on Autism/ Aspergers - such as it doesn't exist, I don't have it, it's an excuse for poor parenting, etc.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
It's not always though.

I'm a bit apprehensive telling people, unless it's people I know. It's because I know people have opinion on Autism/ Aspergers - such as it doesn't exist, I don't have it, it's an excuse for poor parenting, etc.

exactly
Reply 5
Original post by Ham22
Do you have a diagnosis?

Yes I do
Reply 6
Original post by Mrx123
I get shy around people, don't like group work and always live in fear that people don't like me

I just don't know how to feel letting people know
I suffer from all these things.

Is it possible I have Aspergers? :frown: No one has diagnosed me with it.
Reply 7
Relax, the problem is probably a million times worse in your head than in actual reality
The ignorance is strong in this one.
Reply 8
The only way is to push yourself and make an effort. There is no other way of overcoming it.
Reply 9
Original post by Bassetts

Maybe. But that's not just the criteria.
Reply 10
Original post by OU Student
Maybe. But that's not just the criteria.
Tell me all the criteria. Or at least the most important criteria. Then tell me how I can find out if I have it.
I found out a couple of years ago that I am sick.I was extremely forthcoming about my illness.everyone in my life tried to steal from me or tried to take advantage of me,including family you just have to try to be careful.a lot of people are not genuine.
Reply 12

Not necessarily, Not every person that's shy and hates group works has Asperger's.
Original post by Mrx123
Not necessarily, Not every person that's shy and hates group works has Asperger's.

Indeed. I know people with Aspergers who want to work in groups, etc. I personally don't; but have a friend who does.
Reply 14
Original post by Mrx123
Ok. No one has told me what the symptoms are or how I can find out if I have it. All you have said is 'if you do X or act like Y it doesn't necessarily mean you have it' which isn't helpful.
OP, it would be helpful to know a bit more about you, which would help i.e are you in school, college, uni, do you want advice only on telling people, or how to be able to get over these fears or..? :smile:
Ok. No one has told me what the symptoms are or how I can find out if I have it. All you have said is 'if you do X or act like Y it doesn't necessarily mean you have it' which isn't helpful.

You do realise that the OP came on here for advice, not to be diagnosing you, right? if you want to know about symptoms and how to get tested for it, google it. it literally took me about 10 seconds to google it and go onto the NHS website.

Shut up?
Reply 18
Original post by chelseafan
Shut up?
No I asked a question and I want it answered.
Reply 19
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
OP, it would be helpful to know a bit more about you, which would help i.e are you in school, college, uni, do you want advice only on telling people, or how to be able to get over these fears or..? :smile:

I'm a University student, engaged and I want advice on getting over certain fears that my Asperger's make worse like always thinking that no one likes me and such. I always tend to think that things are worse then they actually are and I am aware that I do this which is probably why I don't enjoy group work which doing Drama can be tough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending