The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Finally got a job to tide me over, sales assistant at Schuh (YAS!). Anyone else find themselves watching Scrubs and getting all excited? :L
Original post by callummj6747
Out of curiosity what are you guys working doing?

I tried to get a job as a HCA but I'm crashed and burned so I'm now a volunteer with the British Red Cross
Reply 2762
Anybody else experiencing the crap hours , awful pay and tiring work of being a HCA , im currently working in a local dementia home, saying all that it is a great experience and getting on great with the staff and relatives. Not sure if to look for a new job for jan/feb onwards just for a change of scene/to experience something else. I also applied for cancer biology and immunology for my fifth choice as i just couldn't bring myself to put biomedical science down :/
Original post by wtpcarr
Anybody else experiencing the crap hours , awful pay and tiring work of being a HCA , im currently working in a local dementia home, saying all that it is a great experience and getting on great with the staff and relatives. Not sure if to look for a new job for jan/feb onwards just for a change of scene/to experience something else. I also applied for cancer biology and immunology for my fifth choice as i just couldn't bring myself to put biomedical science down :/

Medicine is also tiring with the doctors hours and responsibilities, get used to it.

Pay differs from where you work, hospital work pays much better than care home.
Out of curiosity what are you guys working doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

HCA- all over the hospital, so I get a taste of everything from surgery to gynaecology. The advantage of being on the Bank staff! :smile:
Reply 2765
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Medicine is also tiring with the doctors hours and responsibilities, get used to it.

Pay differs from where you work, hospital work pays much better than care home.

yeah I know its just taking a little getting used to lol , I think hcas seems a little more involved in patient care in a nursing home tbh. Bit annoying that its a £2 an hour pay cut from my old lifeguarding job but like i said its a great experience and a means to an end. Good things come to those who wait!
Someone on tsr sent their ucas application today and within 20 minutes , they have an offer.

:huff:
Original post by wtpcarr

I get what your feeling. I work as a HCA on a mental health ward which can be hard when patients kick off. I have crap hours that they constantly change, I am also apparently working Christmas. I was originally only going to work there until January but on most days I actually enjoy work and the staff are great. Plus these are things I have to get used to as working as a doctor is harder.
I also can't put myself to put biomed down as a fifth choice, I don't think that I will enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2768
Original post by babychocolate
I get what your feeling. I work as a HCA on a mental health ward which can be hard when patients kick off. I have crap hours that they constantly change, I am also apparently working Christmas. I was originally only going to work there until January but on most days I actually enjoy work and the staff are great. Plus these are things I have to get used to as working as a doctor is harder.
I also can't put myself to put biomed down as a fifth choice, I don't think that I will enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I hate that my shifts are random I work every other weekend and am working Christmas day and can't take holiday around Christmas and new years. It'll all be worth it in the end
It pays off once you got an offer! :biggrin:

I got my first offer just before Christmas and I stayed working there until March. After working Christmas day, my motivation certainly depleted somewhat..
Reply 2770
Someone on tsr sent their ucas application today and within 20 minutes , they have an offer.

Either you are or they're joking. :colonhash:
Original post by wtpcarr

Yup I feel you! Especially the awful hours and how exhausting it is! 8-8 shifts? I mainly work in the dementia unit of a nursing home and it's so mentally and physically straining! I'm going backpacking around Europe next year for a month so I will probably hand in my notice before then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SiMan
Either you are or they're joking. :colonhash:

Haha I don't know whether the poster was telling the truth or not but it does seem so quick that other courses give offers within a week!
Reply 2773

I wouldn't buy into that nonsense unless the offer is for their 5th choice (not medicine).
Original post by PG593
I wouldn't buy into that nonsense unless the offer is for their 5th choice (not medicine).

Lol yeah agreed.
Reply 2775
Original post by wtpcarr

yerp i'm working in a nursing home.. since thursday i've been there more than home and basically just crashed today playing GTA. I'm the same really I'm thinking of applying as a HCA in a hospital as well as carrying on at the nursing home, like you say just as a bit of a different environment :b
Reply 2776
I had previously done work exp with them so they knew who I was, it's just a desk job really, lots of data logging and phone calls, been applying for HCA jobs but getting nowhere (I'm on a zero hours contract and they've told me I'm probably not working until Christmas)

Posted from TSR Mobile

:angry: Zero hour contracts! Try applying at a nursing home, HCA jobs in hospitals are hard to come by but you could then use your care home work experience to gain you some extra credit on your next application for a HCA role - that's what i intend to do.
Reply 2777
Please, those looking for jobs, do NOT become an MLA :\ (feel like shooting myself in the head)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2778
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Please, those looking for jobs, do NOT become an MLA :\ (feel like shooting myself in the head)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are they giving you a hard time then? :frown:
Reply 2779
Original post by PG593
Are they giving you a hard time then? :frown:

Lol no, my colleagues are nice. It's just so boring! I expected to be doing some actual lab work not sticking and scanning stickers!!! It's so boring! And put of the 8 hours I work, for three of them I just sit there doing nothing and waiting for samples to arrive! Lol I know I should be thankful that it's easy but the repetitiveness of this job is suacidal :\

Not gonna quit yet though because next year I get to see post-mortems which I'm looking forward to :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending